Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Dragonbone Chair (only very light spoilers)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

I had just finished typing in a nice long post, and lost my internet connection. :"> So let me try again!

Today I started reading this book, and decided to stay away from the other posts on this topic so as to avoid spoilers. I had jury duty this morning, and had a few hours being locked up in a room and able to read uninterrupted, so got a good start on the book.

I don't want to cause any major spoilers myself, but one bit really sticks out in my mind so far in a very disturbing way. One of the characters just casually kills this cute little puppy during dinner one night. It made me feel very

I think that he's going to be a very bad guy in this book, and maybe the whole series! And when he does his bit of casual murder, he of course, does it in front of the hero of the book, this nice kid who loves animals, rescues baby birds, plays with cats and dogs , etc. So far I really like the nice kid, and I really hate the puppy killer!:"> Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 1/14/03 11:24:06 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Dragonbone Chair
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Again, I don't want to cause any major spoilers, but does it really surprise anyone out there that a person who could casually kill a puppy is also capable of human sacrifice? He's a meanie, all right! :"> Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:20 am 
Master Pilot

Ser Ilyn Payne could! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/6/03 9:39:23 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Keep going Duchess - There will be many more not so nice people to come, and many more good guys (big surprise for a 5 volume series, huh?) I'd keep my eye on the 'good kid'....you never know about some people.

I am also rereading TDC now, so maybe we can move along thru it together... <i>Edited by: Earthblood at: 1/7/03 12:01:56 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

That would be fun, Earthblood! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:59 am 
Master Pilot

Just had my first encounter (this is my 3rd read) w/Pyrates, nearly running down our Simon in the gate way - Crazy priest!!!

I think the encounter w/the puppy is going to be a hint at things to come. We also meet Cadrach a sodden monk, who seems to be relatively harmless, right???

Morgenes, Simon's hero & mentor is one of my favorite characters, along with his other guardian(?), Rachael 'The Dragon' who has raised him as her own, never knowing what he'll amount to!

Williams is laying the beginnings of an intricate groundwork of characters and locations that will rival Tolkien - believe me!

Pay attention to all the characters introduced - you might be surprised who ends up showing up in the strangest of places!!!
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:30 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes, I love Morgenes! And Simon.
And Binibik, who now is taking care of Simon.And Rachel the Dragon.

Ug, hate that Pryrates, though!! What a mean one he is!:"> Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:48 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm about halfway through the book now, and am still enjoying it quite a bit. In fact, the first thing I did after I got my car back from the garage (where it had been for nearly a month!) was go on a Borders run and pick up the second book in the series.

There are these nasty monsters who come boiling up from the ground in a swarm and kill people. That freaked me out more than a bit! What kind of world is it when you can't even trust the ground upon which you are sitting? And where so many of the priests (so far anyway) seem to be bad guys?

But I like Simon a lot. He goes out of his way to help people, even if it endangers him. He likes animals, too, which is always a big plus for me! I like what he did for the entrapped Sithi person very much! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 1/14/03 12:26:06 am
</i>

Post subject: the council
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

Things are starting to get very interesting now! Many of the major characters have just had a council meeting, where they learned they have to find three legendary swords of great power. I can think of other swords of great power used in other fantasy settings, but none used in such a way as these, should be fun! <i></i>

Post subject: YES!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:14 am 
Lady Scryer

Things are really getting exciting now! Simon and party have met the Sithi, who seem to be really cool! They are going up into the mountians to try to find one of those legendary swords! It looks like there is going to be a real live dragon and possibly a real live fight with it! Can't wait!
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 1/14/03 12:28:01 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: YES!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:18 am 
Lady Scryer

Today I finished Dragonbone Chair, and I must say that I enjoyed it! As with Tailchaser's Song, I am very impressed by Tad Williams's powers of description! These wonderful descriptive passages lie scattered through his books like diamonds scattered over black velvet. A short example:Quote:several Sithi sang a slow, mournful song that droned like a beehive and ran like a river, and seemed to fill the cave like the thick scent of some rare, dying flower.

I really enjoy reading Tad Williams!
Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: YES!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:40 am 
Master Pilot

Don't mean 2 pry (not having read this trilogy, 4 or 5 book set, and or : whatever) but ur quote sounds just like some of his beautiful "Otherland" prose... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Dragonbone Chair (only very light spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:53 am 
Lady Scryer

I haven't read the Otherland books yet, so I can't compare. I think I will eventually want to read them, though. Williams also has a new fantasy book coming out in May, or so I saw today at ASOIAF. It' supposed to be about someone from our world who travels to a magical realm. And it has fairies riding around in a limo! It's called War of the Flowers and will be the first in a trilogy. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 1/16/03 2:41:57 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Dragonbone Chair (only very light spoilers)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 pm 
Master Pilot

I bought The Dragonbone Chair the other week but will have to finish the MASSIVE The Lightstone before beginning... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>