Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Otherland Series
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:14 pm 
Master Pilot

I have read City of Golden Shadow and half of River of Blue Fire. I look 4ward 2 finishing the series as they explore the awesome concepts of a future time where conciousness assumes form in a fantastic and refreshingly different "Virtual Reality" fantasy world(s?). !Xabbu and Riene enlist some of the oddest VR explorers our world has 2 offer 2 aid them in their search for Riene's brother who lays dying in southern Africa with his conciousness imprisoned and hidden somewhere unknown in this deep, everchanging and mysterious land.

Meanwhile Paul Jonas stumbles around lands that seem familiar to him but r not. Jonas has some of the wildest computer messages sent 2 him that tell him to "meet" at certain places in Otherland. But he can only see them as signs that make him question his reality or make him pause 2 think. 'hmmm....mayb I am, actually, a larger conciousness that exists outside of this world'. WHO is the global brotherhood of evil, rich, masterminds that control this place?
What in the world is their insane agenda? Who could stop them? Impossible! It's amazing stuff and a VERY compelling ride!

I just bought Mountian of Black Glass and will start reading it by Xmas!! I'll expand on this topic soon! Please add ur Otherland thoughts here! Thanks!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/3/03 7:18 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Otherland Series
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:20 pm 
Pilot

i'm reading them right now - part way through the second one and i still think they're great. i love most of the characters - they aren't simple - it's tempting to skip forward to keep reading about the same character though especially when you get caught up in that story !
what do you think about the NETFEED things at the start of each chapter ? <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:12 am 
Master Pilot

I think they r VERY cool--reminicient of Heinlien's space-communicay News Flashes in Starship Troopers--gives u some idea of the consequences of what going on in this crazy/impersonal virtual future! !Xabbu is the coolest!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:30 am 
Master Pilot

.. rectified that anomaly Moderator?? health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:32 am 
Master Pilot

someone mention Starship Troopers?? the best man-eating bug film ever made!!!

I love that movie!! .. regrettably never read the books tho' but the movie was choice!! .. a true classic!!

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:56 pm 
Master Pilot

Sky I really think u'd enjoy the Otherland series--especially the episode in the first book with the Alice in Wonderland theme that changes in2 a very real and dangerous chess match. These books r highly complex and intriguing but well worth the trip! It's so amazing how Williams switches from the real world to the VR world--the two entities that r chasing Jonas down though the chess match and his fantasies--the real life assasins that reek havoc both in real life and VR.

The Egyptian motifs of the Brotherhood. Fantasy Mars, the river, etc... they really r amazing! The bird-woman, the giant-machine, Jonas' little companion--and my favorite: The Wicked Tribe!!! They r SO smart and SO silly! They almost remind me of "Dead-head" bears dancing around!! (they, however, pefer 2 take the guise of monkies!) Very intense, yet fun stuff!!
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/21/02 10:11:46 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:03 pm 
Master Pilot

All right, all right. I'll go out & get the books!!! <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:22 am 
Pilot

have you read the third book yet ? i finished the second a while ago but haven't got around to the third.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:59 pm 
Master Pilot

I still need 2 finish the 2nd book--but I will work on that soon... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:54 pm 
Pilot

I got myself the whole Otherland series as a Christmas present and have finished it now. It's perhaps a bit overlong, but I liked it. (From what I have read, Williams does shorter stories best - if he can keep them short.) There were several very cool things about it. I particularly liked the fact that the description of the virtual reality did not completely ignore all limitations of technology and available equipment, like the famous William Gibson habitually does. (I refer you all to the First Person Shooter X-Files episode, which was written by Gibson and is really short on basic logic.)

But I think I might avoid spoilers for now and continue discussion later. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:33 pm 
Pilot

I probably finished this series about a month ago, and it totally rocked. My favorite characters were Orlando, Paul, and Dread. What an incredible badass, but oh so cool. I can't believe he could be able to come up with this crazy stuff. Absolutely amazing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:57 pm 
Master Pilot

'Lando was by far my favorite... except for maybe the little kid monkeys. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:24 pm 
Master Pilot

The Wicked Tribe! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Hi I know this is an old post I only read Otherland this year but I was captivated by the story line and the strong characters of course the Wicked Tribe was my favorite followed by Orlando and fred. In general a well written series and not to long for me anyway. :o
I followed reading this series thinking I was going to find it hard to find a book to replace it when lo and behold Fatal Revenat hit the bookshelves