Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Aedonites and similarties to early Christianity
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:55 am 
Master Pilot

There are some pretty obvious similarities between the Aedonites of Osten Ard & early Christians of Europe.

Here's a thought - where is the devil/Satan?

Is it the obvious choice of the Storm King with his control over natural elements?

Is it Pyrates & his mastery of the occult?

Is it neither of these? A greater force manipulating these characters to do his will?

There is a lot of talk especially about Usires Aedon, but not too many references to the dark/evil side of the religion.... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Aedonites and similarties to early Christianity
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:10 pm 
Pilot

I actually think that they are closer to the Roman Catholic Chruch of the Middle Ages. The structure is the same, with the Lector(Pope), Escritors (Archbishops) and so on. Also the references to Elysia, Mother of Usires. Also, I think that Ranessin refers to the Devil, at the dinner scene where he confronts Pryates God is the Lord, of Angels, and of Men, - and of Elves. -J.R.R. Tolkien
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade, the presence of God.- C.S. Lewis
Ser Camaris, if you were a woman, I'd take you out myself.-Lord Manwoody 3/27/02<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Ser--please tone ur flag down, thanks! ( ) The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/2/02 7:38:47 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:22 pm 
Pilot

I am very sorry....I have to turn it off when I come here, and I keep forgetting :( God is the Lord, of Angels, and of Men, - and of Elves. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Ser Camaris, if you were a woman, I'd take you out myself.-Lord Manwoody 3/27/02<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Awesome Av Ser Camaris.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:04 am 
Pilot

Sorry, Earthblood, but what is an av? God is the Lord, of Angels, and of Men, - and of Elves. -J.R.R. Tolkien

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:02 pm 
Master Pilot

The picture (avatar) of the Kneeling Knight

It really seems to say 'Sir Camaris' - offering his sword to the Glory of God. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:34 pm 
Pilot

Thanks, earthblodd, that is what I was going for in a way. It is from Diablo 2 but that is how I saw it. I am a devout Christian and the imagery appeals

What is yours from? God is the Lord, of Angels, and of Men, - and of Elves. -J.R.R. Tolkien

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Mine is from Kevin's Watch gallery - not sure what it's from. Seemed mysterious though, to go along with the earthblood from Donaldson's TCTC.

I wouldn't say I'm a devout Christian, however, I do my best to live by His teachings.

That is one of the appeals to MS&T for me.

the struggle for many characters to leave their historic belief in natural Gods and live in the trust & faith of the one God, Aedon & Usires.

Camaris is probly the greatest example of living in your faith & using God's gifts to the best of your ability. He reminds me of the knights of the Crusades, or even Lancelot of King Arthur fame.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:16 pm 
Pilot

Yes, I think he is modelled on Lancelot in a way, as Prester John is modelled on King Arthur to a degree.

BTW, you may be interested in checking this, there is a long post by Sea King's Daughter which is very comprehensive but very spoilerific. It will be food for thought anyway

I am not trying to poach from Danlo's board, as they are completely different, but if you are ever interested in discussing Christian stuff drop into my board God is the Lord, of Angels, and of Men, - and of Elves. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Ser Camaris, if you were a woman, I'd take you out myself.-Lord Manwoody 3/27/02<i>Edited by: Ser Camaris at: 10/23/02 4:17:34 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:07 am 
Master Pilot

Just took a stroll to your link - WOW! That post by SKD was ....very....long. Some good points, along with some I don't agree with. The general point of the story being similar to others is well taken, but don't most stories follow similar paths? Poor boy makes good, gets the girl & becomes king? I think TW does a masterful job of telling it in a fresh way, with (as I have previously stated) many unexpected twists & turns.

I liked the ending. I thought it reasonably unexpected, and emotion filled.

Don't want to go too far into it without putting down too many spoilers (although it looks like pretty much you & me Ser Camaris!). <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:40 am 
Pilot

Well, I really enjoyed the ending, as forgiveness to me is a very important virtue, and that seemed to be the quality that shone through. I didn't agree with all of what SKD said, but she is pretty intelligent and I thought she made quite a few good points. But MS & T is up there with ASOIAF and LOTR for me (LOTR) being my all time favourites.

It may just be you and me at the moment but I am sure that more will come along God is the Lord, of Angels, and of Men, - and of Elves. -J.R.R. Tolkien

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:38 pm 
Lady Scryer

Hi Earthblood! I picked up the first book, and will be along sooner or later... my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Great Duchess - yoy'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

I am in process of re-reading myself, so I'll be putting some new threads up soon.

I'm on my way over to your forum.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:17 am 
Pilot

Quote:Aedonites and similarties to early Christianity

Early Christianity? Early Christianity didn't believe the Messiah was the true Most High, they didn't believe in any man-god, they didn't believe in any fake virgin birth. <i></i>