Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tailchaser's Song
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:53 pm 
Master Pilot

A fantasy about a cat! Sounds great, I can't wait 2 read it! I love what H. P. Lovecraft has 2 say about what cats do after we let them out at night! I'll b back with a synopsis on this book...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/21/02 9:26:54 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Tailchaser's Song
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Well I still haven't found that good synopsis on the book, but apparently it was first book William's ever had published. About 16 years ago. I found this quote by the author, himself, 2 b particullarly intriguing and insightful. And it gives the readers of his other books an interesting window in2 how Tad William's mind works:Quote:Last but not least, thematically-speaking, there are some little nods (and affectionate jabs) toward Tolkien. Like a lot of people my age, I was head-over-heels in love with THE LORD OF THE RINGS when I was younger, and still think it an amazing and wonderful book. But even something wonderful should not be swallowed whole without critical examination, and eventually I wrote MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN in part to deal with some of my conflicts about Tolkien's LOTR. In Tailchaser, I reserved my Tolkien commentary primarily to a few jokes, like the scene where Fritti meets the QUEEN of Cats (a fairly obvious Galadriel-parallel), the glorious and exalted Mirmirsor Sunback, and discovers her biting her butt. Which is, of course, a very catlike thing to do.

Taken from the Tad Williams Home Page by DAW Books.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/21/02 9:41:09 am
</i>

Post subject: Amazon synopsis:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:42 pm 
Master Pilot

It is about a cat named Fritti Tailchaser who goes searching for his mysteriously vanished friend, Hushpad. Hushpad isn't the only cat to dissapear out of thin air, however, so Fritti's clan sent a delegation of cats to the Court of Harar, where the Queen of Cat resides, to ask for help in this situation.

Fritti decides to follow them, and is followed himself several times by terrifying creatures he isn't able to glimpse. When he gets there, he finds out that the delegation never reached the Court, and that a terrifying new mound has been raised northeast of Firsthome-- the Vastnir Mound.

Unknown to anyone in the world above, this mound is the home of a hideous cat-god, Grizraz Hearteater, and his greusome minions, who have their own plan for Tailchaser's world.

Lyall Watson
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Amazon synopsis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think I might have to track this one down. I love cats, and the part about the butt biting sounds pretty funny. my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I've read the first couple of chapters this morning, and so far I am really enjoying it! One of my favorite bits:
Quote:Her attractive green eyes turned away; Tailchaser noticed her tail,which she held coiled around her as she spoke. Now it rose, as if of its own volition, and waved languorously in the air. It was long and slender, ending in a tender point, and ringed from base to tip with the same black accents as her sides and haunches. This tail -- whose lazy beckoning instantly captured Fritti's admiration -- was to lead him into more trouble than his own bounding imagination could concieve.
So went the first meeting between Fritti Tailchaser and his beloved Hushpad, she of the silky fur and the long whiskers.
"What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:26 am 
Master Pilot

Ay yi! I LOVE it! (now book #124 on the tb list)
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Cats & Tad Williams
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:06 am 
Master Pilot

I perused a little of the book in the bookstore & found it interesting, but, alas, did not purchase it. I do find a lot of feline connections in TW's other work, especially in MS&T - the Sithi are described as having feline faces, with long limbs and flowing movements. I'll have to post some quotes on thier descriptions. I can just picture him staring at his cat, watching it's movements & suddenly deriving inspiration!!!!
BTW, thanks for the new emoticons & easier usage Timekeeper <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I caught my little son's cold , so stayed in bed most of the day, and got up to about page 100.
I'm still enjoying it quite a lot. Williams has made up an entire mythology for his cats, and a language!
He also seems to have made up at least a partial language for the squirrels, foxes, and possibly the dogs!
Tailchaser and his lil buddy, the kitten Pouncequick have made it to the royal court, but haven't met the Queen yet. Frittie just had a really ugly drug trip from the catnip served at a party! Poor guy didn't even know what it was! "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:25 am 
Master Pilot

Chanel IS the kitten Pouncequick!
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Chanel must be darling, then, because Poucequick sounds like a lil doll! he's alternatingly full of energy and play, and then will get sleepy and cuddly and all purry, and even do those little foot movements cats do when they're sleepy and happy. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:24 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, not much time for reading today -- I was putting up Christmas decorations and resting in bed (darned cold! ). But I did get to meet the Queen!

Quote:In the center of the plateau, in the middle of the shaft of light, sat Queen Mirmirsor Sunback, illuminated like some dream-creature. As Fritti frist glimpsed her, he thought of a fountain, a forest spring. She was clear, shining white, and her long soft fur started out from her body in all directions like a puff of dandelion. Beside her was a small earthenware bowl, brought somehow from the dwellings of Ma'an. Before Tailchaser's gaze the scioness of the line of Harar sat with her back curled and her head forward, one leg pointed outward -- the paw thrust in the air like the graceful branches of the birch trees surrounding her Court. She was nipping delicately at her hind end.

Very catlike indeed!! "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/3/03 6:58:41 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:00 am 
Lady Scryer

Maybe my son's evil cold did me a favor after all. I got to finish Tailchaser's Song today! Our Christmas cards probably won't be going out until next week, but I DID get to finish my book!
I have to say that I enjoyed it.
Williams is a very inventive writer, who made many little tributes to Tolkein, and who sometimes just wrote beautiful prose.
Quote:Now, leaning over the pond, he saw a strange thing; a cat, dark-furred, but with a star-mark like his own, looked up at him from underneath the water. Surprised, he leaped back -- as he did, the water-cat took fright also, and disappeared. When he moved back slowly, the other peered cautiously up at him through the still waters. His hackles standing, Tailchaser hissed at the stranger -- who did likewise -- but as he crouched, a rock, dislodged by his paw, fell into the pond. Where it struck, circular ripples marred the surface of the pondwater in an ever-widening ring. before his eyes the water-cat fell to pieces, floating shards, and was gone. Only when the face of the stranger re-formed, wearing a look of astonishment matching his own, did Fritti realize that it was no real beast, but a spirit or watershadow that mimicked his every movement.
Can't you just see the whole thing??? Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 12/20/02 7:01:42 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:57 am 
Master Pilot

I think I have, my sister, ranoffwithgypsies, hooked on TC's Song (interesting, hmmm.... ) she IS the Cat Queen! It's like she's walking down he street and athousand "beeper-heads" witgh b bopping along w/her!

Chantelly biscuit is all over the place, a total nut! Kitten Pouncequick rules! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:11 am 
Pilot

Ooh.. I love this book. It's been awhile since I've read it.. and it's nearly impossible to find in stores.. :( <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

It was a very enjoyable read -- but it was hard to find -- I had to go to two or three places to track down a copy... Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>