[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What Fantasy are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Fantasy are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 am 
The Timekeeper

Deep into A Dance with Dragons---didn't know you just published a new book ali! Will have to read your first one very soon! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:47 pm 
Master Pilot

Get busy, bub!

The new one just came out. I guess I need to add 'em both to my sig here...

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:57 pm 
The Timekeeper

At about page 400 od ADWD :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

Finished up Patricia McKillip's latest, The Bards of Bone Plain. Beautiful, as her novels are. :mrgreen:

Trying to read Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes, but I can already tell it might be a bit grim so I have been dragging my feet reading it. Having just finished an actual history of the Dust Bowl of the 1930's I guess I am just not ready for more grim realism at the moment. :wink: (Though this is a fantasy war story, not a true ecological disaster story). :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:36 am 
Lady Scryer

Nearly done reading the first three books in a series called The parasol Protectorate. The novels are Soulless, Changeless, and Blameless.

It is a cross between urban fantasy and steam punk - with vampires and werewolves in a Victorian Britain that seems to be filled shore to shore with mad scientists. The first book was a lot of fun - a funny comedy of manners. The second book was more of a mystery and the third is action adventure and travel. While I usually really support authors trying out new things, the second and third books just did not please me as much as the first - the first one was funny, the second and third not. :? I think this author's forte is the Victorian comedy of manners set in the drawing rooms and ballrooms and mad scientists' labs, and perhaps she should stick more with it - at least within books in the same series. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

Now reading The Castings Trilogy by Pamela Freeman, an Australian writer. Lots of necromancy, as a mage attempts to create unstoppable ghost armies to avenge a thousand years of invasion and racial warfare/genocide.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:07 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

I reading 'The First Books of Swords', and it's a really good farm-boy tale so far.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:18 am 
Lady Scryer

I tried reading Brandon Sanderson's Alloy of Law, set in his Mistborn universe, but just could't get into it, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy.

So I am now trying Terrier by Tamora Pierce, first book in her latest series set in Tortall. This one follows a young woman in training to be a police officer, which is somewhat different both for that world and for fantasy in general. So far so good. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:22 pm 
Lady Scryer

Just finished up the latest book in the Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs, entitled Fair Game.

This series is set in the same universe as her Mercy Thompson series, with overlapping plots, timelines, and characters. This particular book takes place a month or so after the events in River Marked. There is a huge surprise twist near the end which will probably have major implications on both series. :?

Lately I have been reading more history books than anything, though. My current read is about the Whiskey Rebellion.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:51 am 
Lady Scryer

Reading the John Carter books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I realize they are technically science fiction, but actual science has progressed so much since the books were written, that they seem much more fantasy in this day and age. Civil War veteran somehow ends up on Mars where he has many many adventures...

I have not seen the recent movie based on the books. Is it any good?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:59 pm 
The Timekeeper

I started to read Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown, got sidetracked into Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind that Tam gave me for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. I gave her The Hunger Games and Adele 21 and she gave me Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters!!! Yeah Ba-Beeeee!!! I loved the beginning of Hero and Robin's use of language is both unique and haunting, however the first 17 page of Name is terribly cool, already...and I can't wait to get back to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:54 am 
Lady Scryer

Trying once again to read Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters. This is my second attempt at the book.

It is really really strange steampunk, and you are pretty much dropped into the middle of the story (to the point where I have wondered many times if it the second book in a trilogy or series? :? ).

A while back I realized that I partway reading about six books, none of which were bad enough to not finish and throw directly into a donation bag, but none good enough to want to sit down and devour them, either.

I had gotten to the point where I was reluctant to start anything new.

I realized I had to clear deck.

Whitechapel Gods is book five of the six - trying to finish the last two up before July 31, when new books come out in two of my favorite urban fantasy series (Kitty Norville and Kate Daniels).

An in depth review of this book:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 am 
Lady Scryer

You know, I have decided that Whitechapel Gods is not steam-punk. Yes, it is set in Victorian London, and the Victorian Age is that where most Steam-punk is set. It is missing most common elements of steam-punk however - no zeppelins, zombies, mad scientists, etc.

What is actually is - for lack of a better term - is Lovecraftian fiction set in Victorian London after two of the elder gods come to Earth and take part of it as their own...

About halfway done, and it is growing on me, though it is still VERY weird. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

Whitechapel Gods ended up being pretty darned good, so I am very glad I finally sat down to finish it. 8) Hard to get into initially and very weird, though. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Read the latest installments of the Kitty Norville series - Kitty Steals the Show by Carrie Vaughn - and the Kate Daniels universe - Gunmetal Magic by Illona Andrews - and really enjoyed both. Now it is time to get caught up with the Hugo nominated novels. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next