[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what science fiction are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm 
The UnTitled

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:31 pm 
Lady Scryer

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

Historical science fiction/fantasy set in 1880 Seattle on an alternate Earth. Zeppelins and zombies, always a yummy combo. :mrgreen:

As for Palimpest (which I have finally finished), my mind has subtitled the book .

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 pm 
Master Pilot

About 60% through listening to Stephen King's "Under the Dome" as an audiobook. Excellent so far. As good as Duma Key and Cell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:11 pm 
The UnTitled

Enjoyed Cell, haven't read Duma Key yet. Been very disappointed with most of his recent stuff. (Is it sci-fi?)

--A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes. Very Twilight Zone-ish. A town is suddenly cut off from the outside world by an invisible dome is the premise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:20 am 
The UnTitled

Will keep an eye out for it.

--A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:47 am 
Master Pilot

Finished Under the Dome (Stephen King) as an audiobook. I give it **** out of five stars. Lots of action, good characters. Not the greatest ending, but then I don't expect those anymore after finishing the Dark Tower series. Enjoyed the ride and the ending wasn't horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:16 am 
The Timekeeper

Not sure if Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver is Sci-Fi, Fantasy or historical fiction, but I'm 300 pages into it and hooked. Probably should have read Cryptonomicon first as I hear the Baroque Cycle is tough to stick with after the second book...anyway, Daniel Waterhouse is a very engaging character.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 am 
Master Pilot

I tried Cryptonomicon but couldn't hang with it. The 3-10 page info dumps just distracted me too much to be able to follow the main story. But I was liking the main story until I gave up about 300 pages in.

EDIT: Had to go check the discription of what I'm now reading to see if it's SF or Fantasy. I'm just starting China Mieville's Kraken. Since it's in the same setting as Perdido Street Station, I assume it is SF.

Gave up on the Alienist (general fiction) for now. It's not a bad book, but just found there were genre books I wanted to get to more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:23 pm 
The UnTitled

I've only read Snow Crash, but loved it. Very reminscent of Gibson to me.

--A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 pm 
The Timekeeper

Just looked at Cryptonomicon in the bookstore---no relation to the Cryptonomicon that Rev. Wilkins has written prior to Quicksilver... thought it was...

Off to read, take meds and have a nap.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:26 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

I like Snow Crash, but The Diamond Age didn't do it for me. There's no way I could commit to the Baroque Cycle.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:42 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:04 pm 
The Timekeeper

I'm rereading (I don't know-I thought I had read this book-weird...) Bruce Sterling's Islands in the Net, a book I've recommended in the past to cyber-punk junkies along with such classics as Gibson's Nueromancer, Shepard's Green Eyes and Williams' Hard Wired. Man, if I read this before I sure must have read it fast because it's not that familiar at all. I know I've read Heavy Weather before and that it was kickass. Sterling is already a techno-prophet in the first 20 pages: This book was written in 1987 and set in 2023 and he's using Skype phones, satellite TV, fiber optic channels, etc...It's, locally, a very ecological friendly outlook set in the Gulf of Mexico after major hurricane disasters, unfortunately it misses the mark on oil assuming we've conquered our dependency on it, and now look what happened. Still highly interesting-I'll press on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next