Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Band Trivia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:59 am 
Master Pilot

Not a trivia game, so to speak, although, we could post a few trivia q's on different bands.
I thought this could be the place to rave on your fav band(s)...list where they came from, who played when, where, what covers, what songs they did first....get the idea?

Have at it & have fun!

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Band Trivia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:22 am 
Master Pilot

The Grateful Dead was established as band in 1964, called:
"Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions". In early 1965, they changed thier name to the "Warlocks" and in late 65 Jerry Garcia saw the term 'grateful dead' in a dictionary, and the name stuck.

Original members were:
Jerry Garcia - lead guitar
Bob Wier - rhythm guitar
Bill Kreutzman - drums
Ron "Pigpen" McKernan - keybord/harmonica
Phil Lesh - bass Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i>Edited by: Earthblood at: 9/24/03 6:48 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:10 am 
Master Pilot

Danlo posted this in a different topic, but this is the kind of thing I'm talking about:

It REALLY is a matter of personal taste I guess, in my opinion FOR WHAT ITS WORTH (which is also the title of a song that relates 2 my choice) would have 2 b Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. This is based on 4 factors: 1.) Their contributions 2 impact bands b4 they became C,S,N & Y, 2.) Their combined musicianship, songwritting, harmonic vocals and social message as a band, 3.) What they continued 2 add 2 the music scene after their initial breakup and 4.) their longevity, individual personal messages and integrity. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's last album, Looking Forward, is a fun, entertaining and technically near perfect album (thanks 2 Neil Young) that still carries important messages of hope 4 the confused populace and they r still touring 2day. Through it all they have all maintained solo careers, as well. They also form a kinda cosmopolitian band: 2 Americans, 1 Englishman and 1 Canadian. David Crosby 1st gained recognition as a keyboardist, rhythm guitarist and backup vocalist 4 the Byrds, Graham Nash as a vocalist and writer 4 the Hollies and Stephen Stills and Neil Young as songwriters, singers, keyboardists and one of the best guitar duos of their time, aside from John Cippolina & Dino Valenti of Quicksilver, in Buffalo Springfield. Also look who else was associated w/this band: Richie Furay (who went on 2 Poco w/Neil's younger brother Rusty), Randy Miesner (who helped form the Eagles)and David Frieberg (who played bass and keyboards 4 Quicksilver and later became one of L.A.'s top session musicians). 2 top that all off Springfield, at the end of their touring, let a very young engineer sit in on bass and sing backup vocals: Jim Messina. When C,S,N put out their first album it was the best selling album of that time--when Neil Young joined them Deja Vu topped C,S,N 4 best selling album and then 4 Way Street became the best selling live album of it's time chronicling and raising distinct social awareness of the very heavy duty issues of the time: Richard Nixon, The Vietnam War, social unrest and the search 4 identity in America. Springfield's For What Its Worth combined with such C,S,N & Y songs as Wooden Ships, Ohio, Chicago and Suite: Judy Blues Eyes epitomized everything that was going on between '68 & '75 in a very unsure and constantly changing American social fabric. The group helped America come face 2 face w/it's issues: they treaded a very fine line between open rebellion and common sense in an intelligent, thought provoking and moving way at a time when the young American populace could, really, b moved in2 action, distinct civil action, in large part by musical influences. They also did it with an uncompromising, fearless manner while never selling out--2 this day none of them have sold out! All of their solo albums have done well, critically, w/Neil Young and Stephen Stills leading the way. Still's 1st and 2nd solo album were great as were many of his Manassas albums. Neil Young has gone on 2 b @ the 4front of many social issues and is now ranked up there w/Bob Dylan and John Lennon as 1 of the best songwriters of our time. Graham Nash and David Crosby's two combined albums were very good. C,S,N has toured, on and off, 4 the past 12 years--In any case it also can b argued that, when you put them al2gether, all 4 of them-that is, it is VERY, VERY hard 2 find anygroup, imo (even The Eagles or the Beatles) that can beat their combined harmonies--beautiful, just beautiful. Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:10 am 
Master Pilot

Duchess posted Goo Goo Dolls lyric in fav lyric topic - did you know that the Goos are from Buffalo? Its awesome to see local groups find success Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:47 am 
Master Pilot

Danlo & I were discussing The Who in another thread & I had a thought about a little trivia regarding the Who....

Did you know....

Kieth Moon was not the original drummer for the Who?

Pete Townsend lost hearing in one ear as a result of a small explosive charge Kieth Moon set off in his bass drum?
This was during thier (in)famous show on the Smothers Brothers show. They finished 'My Generation' and proceeded into thier usual demolition of thier instruments & Moon set off a 'small' explosion...which turned out to be rather large & Pete just happened to be directly in front of the drum...sucked to be Pete that day!!! One of the most famous versions of that tune...

On the album 'Who's Next' Moon is sitting backwards in a folding chair that says "DO NOT REMOVE" across the back - he died several months after the release of the album and that became a very moving picture for all us Who fans... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:58 am 
Master Pilot

More Dead trivia...

Keyboard is not the best position to fill in the Grateful Dead;
Pigpen, original keyboardist, died early from alcoholism. Kieth Godchaux died in a car crash, Brent Mydland died of a heroin overdose. Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:40 am 
Master Pilot

Did you know that Jimi Hendricks opened for the Monkeys??

Paul's real name from Peter, Paul & Mary is Noel Paul(can't remember last name)?

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:09 am 
Master Pilot

More Dead Trivia...
Did you know Jerry's right middle finger was chopped off at the first knuckle, I think by a hatchet when he was a youngster?... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:32 am 
Master Pilot

Did you know that David Lee Roth was heir to a large family fortune and never really needed the $ he got from Van Halen? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:37 am 
Master Pilot

This may not be even true. But I think at one time, and maybe not for very long, Susan St. James (the actress) was married to Stephen Stills. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:04 am 
Master Pilot

Facsinating bio of Stephen Stills here: Stills bioNo reference to Susan however. But his stint in Florida lends some credence to the urban legend that he tutored Tom Petty in guitar and confirms the freeway/hearst meeting with old pal Neil Young. *****

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:32 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, I was not sure if it was a rumor or not. And the freeway and hearse meeting would refer to the meeting in LA and hearse with an Ontario Canada plate, and the eventual formation of the Springfield. Preceding that meeting apparently Stephen had called his old friend Richie Furay, and told him to come out to LA cause he had a band. When Furay arrives he asks Stephen 'where's the band?' and Stephen replies, 'right here, you and me'. Oh lordy taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:09 pm 
Master Pilot

OK - Monkeys interesting fact:

Mike Nesmith's (the lead guitar playin' monkey for those who don't know) mother is credited for coming up with the idea for white-out. sold her idea to Bic or one of those big corps & made a ton of money... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees during one particular tour. (did you know that SF writer Gene Wolfe is credited w/inventing the Pringle manufacturing device?) *****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:47 pm 
Master Pilot

Stephen Stills and Charles Manson auditioned for the Monkees gig, and Chevy Chase was the drummer for Steely Dan.