[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What is the opposite of fear?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is the opposite of fear?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:49 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject: Re: What is the opposite of fear?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:09 am 
Master Pilot

Chatting with Kins tonight, and we were talking about this. It got me to thinking about a couple of ways I might define the opposite of fear.

1) You can experience more than one emotion at the same time. This happens often. But maybe there are pairs that can't be experienced at the same time.

2) Thinking of how they are talking in Gates, maybe the opposite is the emotion that allows you to do what you have to despite your fear, no matter what the situation. They marched off to their deaths, despite great fear, because of love. But though anger often allowed them to act despite their fear, they wouldn't have made that ultimate sacrifice for the sake of anger. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:08 pm 
Master Pilot

WOW!!! *********

"And the glory of the world becomes less than it was."<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:07 pm 
Master Pilot

I wouldn't be human if I said I didn't fear things-we need to- we are not invincible, it's a very important survival mechanism-perhaps THE most important. Humans are rather weak and puny in the grand scheme of things and American humans, for one, seem to be getting weaker, fatter and lazier all the time. I always think about how weak we are when I see the kangaroo fetus crawling up to the pocket or the newborn colt standing up right away...

I sort of view fear the way I view evil-on two different levels. Fist quoted something to the effect that: those who believe the soul continues have less fear of death. I agree and do not find it immaterial. That plus the belief that a benevolent universal intelligence is somehow pushing us towards peace as a species. What I concieve as "progress" (especially by what I refer to as the collective human subconscience (superconscience) or "The Network") somehow makes me fear less.

I don't believe a concept of a "Devil" or transhuman "evil" I do believe in the evil men do mentally and physically and what they're capable of and yes it scares me. So there you have the two levels. I am non-violent but not a pacifist. I don't have the courage to be a pacifist... I actually do believe it to be courage-some call it stupidity, especially to let yourself be run over by a tank i.e.-to me that pacifist is more alive than ever in the subconscience, heaven, nirvana for always. If I was a true pacifist maybe I too could be fearless.

I'm pretty big and know how to take care of myself so I really don't fear my fellow man-and even tho I was in the military and would defend my country on my own turf, if I was called to fight for a cause I didn't believe in I would expatriate myself. I don't know why, call it insanity or being wired different (my sister's the same way) I thrive during insane situations. I have broken up huge fights without throwing a blow and have talked people out of potentially violent or lethal sitautions with both knife and gun. I seem to automatically connect with crazy people.

And it's weird-twice a number of people either hid behind booths and tables or lay on the floor-and after I difused the situation they (all) couldn't make eye contact with me-they were almost making the sign of the cross at me warding me off- like I was more dangerous than the perpetrator!

Maybe it's that glow that the quote above talks about or maybe it's just the fact that I don't hesitate whatsoever to confront a violent situation--even tho I pretend to be a gruff old loner bear, perhaps I do have immense inner-love for my fellow humans, who knows...maybe I'm just crazy.
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/8/03 9:13 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:55 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think to me the opposite of fear would be joy... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Well don't be so wordy about it! *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:57 pm 
Master Pilot

You know, danlo, personally, I'm more afraid of there actually being an after life than not. At least if the afterlife is this consciousness/personality. I mean, enough's enough! There's days I got bored as it is, forget about eternity!! If an afterlife is a losing of Self, a merging with the ALL, so that this identity is remembered by the whole, but does not actually continue, fine. But if Eric is hanging around forever, he's gonna be a little upset. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:36 pm 
Master Pilot

He'll be hanging around he just won't know it. Mayb a incompletely dif form, who knos, or perhaps he will decide a specific course in the afterlife b4 he dies or in the afterlife? (rebirth on Earth as another human, ant, another planet, more...) AH the joy of self discovery! *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:26 am 
Master Pilot

In a very roundabout way, I could get to saying the opposite of fear is love, but it's never been instinctual for me to think of love in universal terms. For me, I'd say the opposite of fear is acceptance... a higher level of knowledge. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:23 am 
Master Pilot

I find it very tempting to try to see every negative emotion as an extension of fear. Not exactly sure it's accurate, but it would be nice to be able to eradicate them all in one fell swoop! ____________

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:49 pm 
Master Pilot

To me, there are different levels of "fear". There's the fear of the unknown, the fear of being hurt, the fear of death, the fear of failure. Most fear is caused by ignorance, lack of knowledge. Thomas Covenant was feared because no one understood leprosy. That fear turned into hate and bitterness. Simple knowledge would have cured that.

But then, there's the fear of being hurt, or dying. What is the opposite of that fear? I don't think there is one. In the case of the seriously ill, like Stephen, who know they are going to die, most don't fear death itself, they fear how they will die. Will it be in unbearable pain? They fear the pain of it, death is almost welcomed, prayed for.

I believe blind fear is the worst kind. Fearing the unknown, living daily with the fear that something bad could happen at any moment. That state of constant panic that people with phobias live with. That has got to be horrible. The opposite of that would be complete and total knowledge of one's fate. But, no one has that. So, one must delve into oneself and find the courage and strength to combat such fears. Soldiers on the war front, Firemen rushing into burning buildings, policemen opening that closed door where on the other side shots were fired only moments before, children living in a village somewhere in the middle east where there could be at any second a bomb blast...All fear of the unknown, is the opposite of that courage? Or is it a fear with no good answer? *********

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:57 pm 
Master Pilot

Quote:I believe blind fear is the worst kind. Fearing the unknown, living daily with the fear that something bad could happen at any moment. That state of constant panic that people with phobias live with. That has got to be horrible.Since my son was born, that very nearly describes me. I'm on the edge of living that way. An uncomfortable percentage of my thoughts (Erin thinks I should see a therapist about it, but I don't think it's quite that bad. ) are outright terror of what might happen to them. Which seems especially bad now, while they're young, and would not understand why I am unable to help them in some situations.

I've never had anything else that comes close to being a phobia. Interestingly, my solution to this problem is love. When those thoughts start to take over, I push them out, and concentrate on the things I love about them.

Regarding Stephen's fears, I imagine love is, again, the answer, since his love of God did him a world of good.

But there are plenty of fears that I don't really see love being the answer to. ____________

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:43 am 
Master Pilot

Quote:Since my son was born, that very nearly describes me. I'm on the edge of living that way. An uncomfortable percentage of my thoughts (Erin thinks I should see a therapist about it, but I don't think it's quite that bad. ) are outright terror of what might happen to them. Which seems especially bad now, while they're young, and would not understand why I am unable to help them in some situations

Every parent's worst fear is that something will happen to their child. I know it's mine. I send them out in the world everyday and worry the whole time they are out of my sight. I know exactly what you are saying. I don't find that irrational, Fist. It's parental instinct, to want to protect our children and fear for them when we aren't there to be that protection.

Quote:Regarding Stephen's fears, I imagine love is, again, the answer, since his love of God did him a world of good.

Oh yes, Stephen's love and faith in God was what gave him the strength to combat his fear of the pain. And the pain itself. It was his answer. His acceptance of that which he could not change was the first step, and then his reliance on God's love carried him through worst of it.

Peace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:31 am 
Master Pilot

Fire, I'd be interested to hear Shadow's thoughts on this topic. ____________

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:31 am 
Master Pilot

I would like to hear it too. I don't know if he has read this topic. Will find out. *********