[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Amateur Stargazing?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Mars
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:17 am 
Master Pilot

Mother Nature always seems to hold a salve to the hurts we are feeling.....
Hang in there bud, "this too, shall pass" they say...
(I still don't know who they are, but anyway....)
Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:44 am 
Lady Scryer

Earthy, that is a lovely story about your little one. I can tell that you must be a wonderful father.

Danlo --
Things will get better with time. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:45 pm 
Master Pilot

The amount of interest in Mars has been interesting to follow. Although this is the closest Mars has been in 60,000 years, actually every 17 years Mars comes close enough to shine as brightly as it is now. What's the difference in a few thousand miles.

It's a great way to get to get the little ones interested in the sky though. They don't have the Apollo program like we had in our youth. <i></i>

Post subject: moon watching
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:14 am 
Lady Scryer

I couldn't help but gape at the moon tonight while driving home from work. It wasn't full, but still large...and orange...and it was gorgeous. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: moon watching
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:05 pm 
Master Pilot

I have, on my desktop, a display that shows the current phase of the moon. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:25 am 
Master Pilot

Santa brought me & my son a telescope for Christmas!!!!!!!
Can't wiat for the full moon to get out & check it!
Not real powerful, but good enough to see craters & all!! Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:27 am 
Lady Scryer

That sounds great, Earthy!
And Damelon, if you think to check, please see how the moon will be when we are at the Grand Canyon...moonrise over the Canyon would definately be a site worth seeing. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:57 am 
Master Pilot

Moon set looks to be about 3 in the morning at the Grand Canyon on June 28. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

I don't know if I will be awake for the moonset, but be prepared for being dragged off for a walk in the moonlight if it's bright enough. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:18 am 
Lady Scryer

I ran into this on AOL tonight, and thought it was pretty cool. Tonight is the night of the "snow moon" by the way.

Full Moon names date back to Native Americans, of what is now the northern and eastern United States. The tribes kept track of the seasons by giving distinctive names to each recurring full Moon. Their names were applied to the entire month in which each occurred. There was some variation in the Moon names, but in general, the same ones were current throughout the Algonquin tribes from New England to Lake Superior. European settlers followed that custom and created some of their own names. Since the lunar month is only 29 days long on the average, the full Moon dates shift from year to year. Here is the Farmers Almanac's list of the full Moon names.

• Full Wolf Moon - January Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. Thus, the name for January's full Moon. Sometimes it was also referred to as the Old Moon, or the Moon After Yule. Some called it the Full Snow Moon, but most tribes applied that name to the next Moon.

• Full Snow Moon - February Since the heaviest snow usually falls during this month, native tribes of the north and east most often called February's full Moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to this Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult.

• Full Worm - March Moon As the temperature begins to warm and the ground begins to thaw, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robins. The more northern tribes knew this Moon as the Full Crow Moon, when the cawing of crows signaled the end of winter; or the Full Crust Moon, because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night. The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees, is another variation. To the settlers, it was also known as the Lenten Moon, and was considered to be the last full Moon of winter.

• Full Pink Moon - April This name came from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names for this month's celestial body include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and among coastal tribes the Full Fish Moon, because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn.

• Full Flower Moon - May In most areas, flowers are abundant everywhere during this time. Thus, the name of this Moon. Other names include the Full Corn Planting Moon, or the Milk Moon.

• Full Strawberry Moon - June This name was universal to every Algonquin tribe. However, in Europe they called it the Rose Moon. Also because the relatively short season for harvesting strawberries comes each year during the month of June . . . so the full Moon that occurs during that month was christened for the strawberry!

• The Full Buck Moon - July July is normally the month when the new antlers of buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur. It was also often called the Full Thunder Moon, for the reason that thunderstorms are most frequent during this time. Another name for this month's Moon was the Full Hay Moon.

• Full Sturgeon Moon - July The fishing tribes are given credit for the naming of this Moon, since sturgeon, a large fish of the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water, were most readily caught during this month. A few tribes knew it as the Full Red Moon because, as the Moon rises, it appears reddish through any sultry haze. It was also called the Green Corn Moon or Grain Moon.

• Full Fruit or Barley Moon - August The names Fruit and Barley were reserved only for those years when the Harvest Moon is very late in September.

• Full Harvest Moon - September This is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox. In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon comes in September, but in some years it occurs in October. At the peak of harvest, farmers can work late into the night by the light of this Moon. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice the chief Indian staples are now ready for gathering.

• Full Hunter's Moon - October With the leaves falling and the deer fattened, it is time to hunt. Since the fields have been reaped, hunters can easily see fox and the animals which have come out to glean.

• Full Beaver Moon - November This was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Full Beaver Moon comes from the fact that the beavers are now actively preparing for winter. It is sometimes also referred to as the Frosty Moon.

• The Full Cold Moon; or the Full Long Nights Moon - December During this month the winter cold fastens its grip, and nights are at their longest and darkest. It is also sometimes called the Moon before Yule. The term Long Night Moon is a doubly appropriate name because the midwinter night is indeed long, and because the Moon is above the horizon for a long time. The midwinter full Moon has a high trajectory across the sky because it is opposite a low Sun.

------------------------------------------------------------

<i></i>

Post subject: amateur skywatching
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:07 am 
Lady Scryer

This weekend is the height of the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. This year is supposed to be very good watching indeed!

Quote:
Perseid meteor show 'the best of the bunch'

Sat, August 12, 2006

By DANIELA SIMUNAC, FREE PRESS REPORTER (London, Ontario Free Press)

Park your lawn chairs in a dimmed area outside if you want to catch a glimpse of the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks tonight.

A stream of small particles in space will move like a river as the Earth crosses through it sideways, creating "little flashing streaks," said Peter Jedicke, astronomy professor at Fanshawe College.

The tiny particles move very fast and create a "dramatic and exciting flash in the sky," he said.

Jedicke is former national president of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.

Although there are generally about 20 meteor showers in a year, the Perseid is "the best of the bunch," he said.

It is the most reliable meteor shower, occurring annually around Aug. 12. It comes at a convenient time during summer, when observers tend to spend more time outdoors, Jedicke said.

The streaks of light are visible for less than three seconds and the longer streaks can be seen about once every five to 15 minutes, he said.

It won't be possible to see every streak tonight due to a recent full moon that will wash out the dimmer streaks.

It is possible to take pictures of the nightly display, he said. Just "don't lie in a lawn chair under a street light."

Looking to the east increases your chances of seeing the shower. Results are best later in the night.

"Just keep your eyes open. Patience and diligence are two things you need," Jedicke said.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Amateur Stargazing?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject: Re: Amateur Stargazing?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

If it ever clears up the next few nights, I will try to get outside to see them...depending on other factors like mosquitoes, of course. :wink: (Since it has been so hot, humid, and wet this summer, the mosquitoes are out of control this year. :( ).

Image Image Image