[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Mosquito Magnets and other high tech yard toys

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mosquito Magnets and other high tech yard toys
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:36 am 
Lady Scryer

There is a new sort of machine on the market to the general public (it used to be used only by large commercial properties such as golf courses and theme parks) that supposedly kills off mosquitos for areas as large as an acre (depending on the model). They use propane to make some sort of scent that mosquitos find attractive, then traps and kills the mosquitos in the coverage area. Supposedly it is safe for other sorts of bugs. I was wondering if anyone here either has one or knows of someone who has one, and, if so, how well they think it works?
Michigan is skeeter country, we have West Nile Virus in the area, and I have been thinking about getting one for my yard... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Mosquito Magnets and other high tech yard toys
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Heh, I live half a block from The Great Dismal Swamp Mosquito Control center, and I can't mow the lawn without getting a couple of bites. I'd think they must not be doing that great of a job.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. I bought a portable bug zapper for $15 that came with these little electronic mosquito repellers, but they don't work (the zapper's cool, though. just wish it sparked up like the one my family had when I was a kid).

Now if they just had something that kept the neighbor's dog from pooping on my lawn (I'd yell at the neighbor, but she's an old lady). ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:00 pm 
Master Pilot

They were using one of those at a party I was at a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't complain too much about the mosquitos, but the scent from the thing was rather foul for a few minutes. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:22 pm 
Lady Scryer

Exactly how foul are we talking? Foulness would be a definate consideration.... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Another great reason 2 live in NM! No skeeters, no ticks, no poison ivy, oak or sumac. No crowds, no floods, earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis, no humidity. No traffic jams!

Drawbacks: no $, no water...(Tam and I were in Corrales 2day but we didn't find SRD's house...) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:03 am 
Master Pilot

It emits a thick cloud of white smoke. The scent, an annoying chemical scent, doesn't last long, but it chased me out of the area where it was being done for a while. A plus though was it seemed to work. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:49 am 
Master Pilot

Heh, New Mexico's just been lucky lately. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have a couple major fault lines running through it? (like Nevada... one day people are going to find themselves quite surprised) ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Also, Danlo, reading from the Watch, goatheads don't sound like a pleasant experience. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:31 pm 
Lady Scryer

The fleas on the rodents out there also carry hanta virus and the plague. As bad as the mosquitos here, with the West Nile virus.
However, that part of the world is beautiful beyond decription, so I can see why Danlo would want to live there. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:31 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:49 am 
The UnTitled

A mosquito vacuum? :LOLS:

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:27 pm