Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: About Your Comp and Your Comp pipedreams? Ramblings...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:21 pm 
Master Pilot

What r ur comp specs? What toys do have? What features do u have? And if u had the $ what new comp would u buy? Why? What new gadjets have u been lusting over?

I have a Compaq Presario ME2000 with speakers and (a somewhat funky) IJ600 printer. My comp-wiz bud just installed 200 MBs of memory--so, I guess I now can have all sorts of features and toys. If I seriously want 2 write my fantasy novel--I will b indebted 2 him...I have a little monitor that doesn't have big resolution. My server is Earthlink, which I'm pretty happy with, xcept that the features on my homepage r totally boring. I have Trillian and Spyder Byte, Norton and McAfee and use Webshots 4 my screen savers. My comp-wiz buddy has offered 2 host all the Hangar's images in Center for National Genome Resource's seemingly inxhaustable net storage--but the prospect scares me...1 of the best net features I ever had was Internet Boost--it was amazing, Un42nately, it dissapeared during the "klez" virus attack and now they charge out the wahzoo 4 it!

I would really like a better printer and if I could have everything I wanted, right now, the list would include: A decent scanner, PaintShop and AutoCad. I don't kno if I'm ready 2 get in2 the MP3 field, I guess I'm just old fashioned, heck just popping a reg CD in the HD still fascinates me... But it prob does save tons of $...

What's ur lil old comp world like? What r ur pipedreams? <i>Edited by: Damelon at: 4/5/03 7:53:59 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: About Your Comp and Your Comp pipedreams? Ramblings...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have a Dell 8200 Dimension desktop (my sis who works at Dell got me the employee discount, which enabled me to buy the thing). I have the biggest hard drive and the most RAM that Dell will give (can't remember the exact numbers). I have an Epsom color printer and scanner, a Kodak digital camera and cradle, a stereo system, a drive that plays DVD's, and a weird little gizmo called Dazzle I haven't figured out how to use yet, but supposedly I can plug my camcorder into it, use the Dazzle to professionally edit my home videos, and then record the finished product onto CD's. I have a dial up modem, AOL is my ISP, and I also use webshots as my screen saver. I have AIM and MSN messenger and Yahoo messenger, all of which seem to be working right now, but I can't get Trillion to work right...I put all of my IM handles in the Rose Womb Cloisters, if any of my fellow mods need them.
If I have one complaint about my system is that I need more plugs in the back for my peripherals. the scanner and the cradle for the camera have to share a plug, so I haven't used the scanner yet! I don't know what'll happen to my pics if I unplug the camera/cradle! Does anyone know if there is some soer of thingee out there that you plug into your computer's plug and then can plug multiple things into it?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 3/19/03 7:48:11 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:04 pm 
Master Pilot

I have a Compaq Presario 1230 laptop, with broadband internet. I have a hp deskjet 3820 printer. He whose desires have been throttled,
who is independent of root,
whose pasture is emptiness-
signless and free-
his path is as unknowable
as the of birds across the heavens.
Dhammapada (93) <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:53 am 
Master Pilot

I have a Dell Dimension L550. At 3 yrs it's starting to show some wear. I'd love to be able to burn CD's.

Connection wise I've got a dial-up to a local ISP that I've been with now for 7 years. I can't get a much faster connection unless I go with my tail between my legs back to the local cable company. But I've got my pride. My local phone provider (Verizon ) isn't, in my location, much beyond the cans & string level of technology.

Later this year, I'm looking at upgrading my system. After my vacation, at the end of April, I'm going to start looking. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered an iMac from the Apple Store. 1GHz, 17" flat panel screen. Scheduled to come in late next week. (payments start next month ) I've been thinking about getting an iMac for a couple of months now. I'm going to keep the Dell I've got now, I've got a lot of software for it. But I am ready to check out the world outside of Windows. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

Congrats! A couple of my frinds have Macs and swear by them! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:22 pm 
Master Pilot

World outside...Windows??! Is there such thing?! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:33 am 
Master Pilot

I'll go outside the windows and tell you about it. It will be interesting. <i>Edited by: Damelon at: 4/6/03 11:33:48 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:16 am 
Master Pilot

My change over to Apple from the Dell is almost complete. Changing Quicken from Windows to Mac is a pain in the a$$. I forgot my password for here. Well I didn't forget, but I capitalized the thing which I normally don't do. I only have to get a USB cable for my Palm and figure out why the link HP gives to my printer's driver software leads to nowhere, and I'm in.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

I bought a cool little toy for myself yesterday. It's called an HP photosmart 230 color inkjet printer. It is smaller than my toaster, doesn't attach to the computer at all, and is designed and dedicated to printing pictures only. You put your memory card from your digital camera into one of the slots (it has many different slots for different types of memory cars and sticks) and there is a tiny screen on top that lets you look through the images and choose which ones to print out.
As we go to many family reunions and the like, this will be perfect, as we can just print out which pictures people want then and there rather than having to go to the store and making multiple prints made up, hoping people like the ones you chose, then mailing them off to all corners of the country.

I can also use it to print out and make sure that my nature pictures work out. Nothing worse (if your hobby is amateur landscape and nature photography) than coming back from a trip and finding out that some of your pictures came out crummy, and no way of going back and taking new ones with different sun angles. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:02 am 
Master Pilot

Sounds like a neat tool. <i></i>