Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sabriel, Lirael, and other Garth Nix Books
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:49 pm 
Master Pilot

<i> Sabriel</i> and <i> Lirael</i> are the first two books of an interesting fantasy series I have started reading. The third book of the trilogy, <i> Abhorsen</i>, is still in the works.
`ms
The books involve two worlds, side by side, one a sort of normal rather British seeming (or maybe Australian) society, and another, The Old Kingdom, "across the Wall," which is ruled by Charter Magic. On the Ancelstierre side ("normal") side, close to the Wall, Charter Magic can still be used, but it gets weaker as you move farther the Old Kingdom. The Ancelstierrans, as a rule, fear Charter Magic, and have set a military guard along the Wall, some members of which are Charter Mages, to protect Ancelstierre from Charter Magic.

The are also necromancers in the Old Kingdom, people who can walk in death, and bring the dead back to life. I have found the first two books quite engaging and am eagerly looking forward to the third book of the trilogy.

~MsMary~

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Sabriel, Lirael, and other Garth Nix Books
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Garth Nix also has a website, if you are interested in checking him out:

members.ozemail.com.au/~garthnix/

And he has joined in the discussion we had about his books at Readerville.com:

www.readerville.com/WebX?....f027692/0

He still drops in periodically to answer questions and update us on the progress of his upcoming books.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:20 pm 
Master Pilot

An All Sci-fi. com reveiw of Lirael "LIRAEL Gareth Nix HarperCollins, Apr 2001, $16.95, 496 pp. ISBN: 0060278234 In the Old Kingdom, Lirael feels like a freak as the only person among the Clayr sisterhood who cannot see into the future. Being “blind” shames the teenager making her wonder just who she. By her nineteenth birthday, Lirael knows she has no one to help her except her Disreputable Dog. However, her time of hiding in the library ends, when the Clayr foresees her involvement in a war against evil with a world at stake. She is sent forth to do great things despite her own fear of shortcomings. Feeling incompetent, Prince Sameth can no longer handle his role as the heir apparent to his mother Queen Sabriel. Rather then continue his education and preparation, Sameth decides he is no hero and will not be the key focus of the fight against the Dead. Sameth meets Lirael and her canine meets his acerbic cat Mogget as they journey together to save the world. LIRAEL, the sequel to the fabulous SABRIEL is as good as the first novel. The prime theme centers on the Good vs. Evil epic fantasy. However, the deep lead couple with their flaws, fears, and lack of confidence turns the story line into an exciting adventure where the malevolent forces seem ready to win. Though many threads remain loose for hopefully the next novel to tie up, fans of epic fantasy, especially the Potter crowd, will fully enjoy Garth Nix's fantastic spin. Harriet Klausner "
Harriet Klausner, Resident Gareth Nix Scholar
w: Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:53 pm 
Pilot

Potter crowd? I enjoyed Goblet of Fire but that doesn't sound very promising. How mature this series is? <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:16 pm 
Master Pilot

I have no idea! Just came across this review in my web travels... Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Great review, danlo. But I'm sort of glad I read it <i> after</i> I read the books. I like to discover the plot myself.

I didn't notice that remark about the "Potter" crowd till it was pointed out. I think these books are quite different from the Potter books - more serious and better written. Definitely worth giving a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:37 pm 
Pilot

I checked Nix's website and it indeed looks like these books are young adult. I don't think I will be buying them but I'm going to put them to mind in case I see them in a library. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:15 pm 
Master Pilot

Don't make the mistake of discounting them just cause they're labelled for "yong adults" Nerdanel. They are very well-written and engaging books - with interesting twists of plot.

Post subject: Yeah, more mature than the Potter books
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:18 pm 
Pilot

And, that's Disreputable Bitch, if you want to be technical...
They are good books, I'll have to check out that site if I have time....Abhorsen needs to come out soon, it's one of like seven series I'm waiting on to conclude or continue...
the LIBRARY is CLOSING! GOODBYE! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Yeah, more mature than the Potter books
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:24 pm 
Master Pilot

fightingmyinstincts, you need to join TAAPA!

That's "Those Anxiously Awaiting the Publication of Abhorsen."

That's a Readerville joke.

Just keep on following that Disreputable Dog. And don't forget Mogget.

Post subject: Re: Yeah, more mature than the Potter books
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:24 pm 
Master Pilot

Last night I finished reading an Advanced Reader's Copy of Abhorsen. Garth Nix supplied 3 copies to the readers of the "Sabriel, Lirael" thread at Readerville.com, which we have been passing around among us.

Great book, and an interesting conclusion to the trilogy. I can't wait to get my own copy on Abhorsen. According to his website, the book is due out in Feb, but I've heard the month December mentioned too. (I hope it's December!)

Post subject: Personally...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:32 pm 
Pilot

I think that Harry Potter is nothing compared to Nix. Nix has created a world where the dead may live among the living and almost a complete alter-reality when people enter the realm of the dead. I love the idea of the 9 Gates of death and all of that. Abhorsen comes out in a month where I live so I’m patiently waiting for my reserved copy. I read the first few chapyters online and so far…Mogget the cat dies.

Tiger

}{No one dies and lives to tell about it}{
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Personally...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:53 am 
Master Pilot

I agree with your comments about Nix one hundred percent, Tiger. He has created a very interesting fantasy world...

But..

Hey, be careful with those SPOILERS!!! ;

Quote:I read the first few chapyters online and so far…Mogget the cat dies.

And by the way, I wouldn't count on it. Mogget's a tough cat to kill.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:34 pm 
Pilot

Quote:Last night I finished reading an Advanced Reader's Copy of AbhorsenGasp! Does that mean you have it?? The third book that is? All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/20/03 6:14:27 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:12 am 
Master Pilot

We have a copy now that it's out, but we also read the book (in the form of the Advance Reading Copy) before it actually came out.

~Foamy~ <i></i>