Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: HI! any other Lois McMaster Bujold fans out there
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

I am nearly finished reading The Curse of Chalion and it is a very good, solid fantasy novel.
As with many of her science fiction novels, she explores the theme of the price of power...and she has created another wonderfully flawed hero, and features strong women characters.
This one has a strong Spanish flavot to it. Apparently she is writing a loosely connected fantasy series which will have flavors of different areas of Europe (Spain, Germany, etc.) Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Lois McMaster Bujold
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:40 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, being sick does have advatages, and yesterday I got to read the sequel to The Curse of Chalion. It is called Paladin of Souls and features one of the minor characters from Chalion...
This is a sort of coming of age fantasy tale...it tells of a 40 year old woman who sees herself as a failure, and how she comes to find herself in dealing with gods and demons... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Lois McMaster Bujold
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:44 am 
Master Pilot

Since you all probably know I've become a huge Bujold fan over this last summer. Let's do some more Bujold talking. Did you all know she's going to be a guest of honor at WorldCon 2008 in Denver. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:23 am 
Lady Scryer

I Love this woman's writing!

I did not know that - but I have heard many times that she is simply wonderful to her fans when she makes appearances at cons ans signings. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:46 pm 
Master Pilot

Mountains of Mourning, what an incredibly sad, sad story. I finished it yesterday evening and it wiped me out, I don't think I'll be able to read much for at least the day or so. In the fixup Young Miles, MoM takes up the pages between Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

I love Mountains of Mourning. It sums up Miles so very well. All of that intelligence and heart and nobility in a twisted up little body.

Taras, if you stick with the series, Mirror Dance wiped me out emotionally as much as Mountains of Mourning did. Maybe even more. But you will not be getting to that novel for awhile yet. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:19 am 
Lady Scryer

Taras, Bujold has an upcoming con in Chicagoland:
Quote:
February 8-11, Author Guest of Honor at Capricon XXVII to be held at the Sheraton Chicago Northwest, 3400 West Eculid Ave., Arlington Heights, IL 60005. Tel (847)394 2000. Also featuring Artist GoH Erin McKee and Fan GoH Cat Faber

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess,
I already knew about the February convention; BTW, I might have mentioned it on the Watch thread about Bujold. I'm already scheduled to panel several discussion sessiions at the convention and one of them is about Bujold (the other two are about Joss Whedon). If one examines the convention's documentation, it's apparent the focus is to be on Bujold's Fantasy worlds (Chalion and Sharing Knife), but during author's Q and As I know there will have to be questions about Miles and his wacky friends. Anyway, it's all extremely exciting to me. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

That sounds wonderful Taras! As a long time Bujold fan, I hope that you will give us a detailed review of your experience!

I have seen elsewhere that she is very nice and very kind to her fans at cons. May you have a wonderful experience. ******************************************************

<i></i>