Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TREK is Yours--Now What?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:27 am 
Pilot

Now that Enterprise has gone the way of all things, I was wondering what folks here would do if given the chance at the very next entry into Star Trek.

Sooooo...you have a show. You get to set it up and are guaranteed at least two seasons. You get the same budget as TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT (or approximately that).

What direction would you take? A prequel? Sequel? Simultaneous to one of the past timelines? A ship? A colony? Space station? What kinds of characters would you use, and who would you like to cast in the roles?

Let the speculation begin! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: TREK is Yours--Now What?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:51 pm 
Master Pilot

Sequel. I want to see that Enterprise E that was in TNG finale. I don't think it would be too hard to get Frakes to sign on. Definately something more episodic in nature. DS9 and Enterprise were way to static with their story arcs, imo. I got bored. Probably why I'm one of the few people that enjoyed Voyager more than the other two... or the first season of Farscape more than the other three (though that's a lousy comparison, considering I still loved the other three seasons).

Better yet. I want a crew that's 1/3 hologram, 1/3 android, and 1/3 human/alien. I think ST works best when it examines the dynamic between the crew. It would be a smaller ship, mainly because much of the ship would rely on holographic technology (if the Doctor can be powered by something smaller than a deck of cards...). Basically, the only real parts of the ship would be those absolutely necessary if the tech were to go off. And speaking of, I'd upgrade the holographic projectors' operating system. You'd think they were running on windows as often as they screw up. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:05 pm 
Master Pilot

My dream of ST has always been from a much wider perpective. Therefore it would be much harder to do and require some bloody brilliant writing. I always want to know whats going on at Starfleet Academy, all the inner working of how they strategize, process info and build ships and other things--I also would like to see things happening on Earth-political descisions-other advanced technology. Or even leading an entire fleet into battle--I could see Frakes, now, doing that--as long as it didn't get too Battlestar Galaticky. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

I don't care so much about the particular setting or plot arcs, but would like a return to the what I always considered to be the true "heart" of Trek -- the interections between the crew/cast and the hopeful vision of the future. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:48 am 
Master Pilot

Ok, this will not be popular, but I think the Federation has to stop being such a bunch of "goody-two-shoes". From Kirk to Picard and including Janeway and Riker, they're all so moralistically superior (BTW, is this the real legacy of Rodenberry?). It's really sickeningly nauseating. Of course this is probably why one of my favorite DS9 episodes is "By the pale moon light". Maybe this image of media heros could be sold to the audiences in the 1960s (compare and contrast Matt Dillon, Ben Cartwright, Joe Friday, and then Kirk, Spock and McCoy), but that image of hero is not gonna fly anymore. It's seen by most audiences as corny and unrealistic.

A Star Fleet Academy drama, are you serious? Star Trek meets Doby Gillis maybe, does not sound like a winner to me. As a plot premise taking Sylvanus's lead the further voyages of TNG and something I'm intrigued by is how did Dr. Crusher become Captain Crusher-Picard. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 8/21/05 6:52 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:08 am 
Master Pilot

Quote:A Star Fleet Academy drama, are you serious? Star Trek meets Doby Gillis maybe, does not sound like a winner to me. if you read my proposal it was a bit more far reaching than that--man just a little ST stuff got you all pissy? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:04 am 
Master Pilot

I'm so not all pissy. And I'd be the last to get all so about ST. I was just trying to summarize to a phrase, and besides I know lots of folks who liked Doby Gillis, so that's not obviously a burn. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:17 am 
Pilot

Here is my suggestion.

RE-BOOT.

Start over again from scratch. Ditch the replicators and holodecks and transporters and particles-of-the-week. Even more importantly, ditch the paradigm that aliens are one unfortunate human trait thrown into sharp relief (greed=Ferengi, religion=Bajorans, aggression=Klingons, etc.). Have a very few alien species and let them be really alien, not humans with weird foreheads.

Let us say that in the year 2430 (or thereabouts) the Federation is a few generations old. Its members are almost exclusively descendents of Earth colonies, although some have undergone genetic alteration due to severe environments. One (perhaps the only) alien race to belong to the UFP is the Trill, who join with a tiny minority of human volunteers who are viable candidates for same.

Other aliens should be like the Medusans or the silicon-based rock-eaters from TOS--genuinely weird and alien, yet with more-or-less understandable motives. A few godlike aliens would be okay, provided they pretty much ignored us as much as possible (rather like the Organians).

Thematically, the series should be about humanity on the real threshold of a wise civilization. Not there yet, but on its way. I'd like to see that process as humanity in the form of our starship crew really confronting and trying to work out fundamental issues. Take the Prime Directive for example--sounds like a worthy ideal, but in practice doesn't it come down to a refusal to take any responsibility, to allow terrible things to happen while self-righteously turning your back? Yet at what point do we stop helping and start simply ruling, obliterating cultures we don't understand? Likewise, isn't there a lot more to prejudice than judging people by the color of their skins? Don't we, for example, judge people by their religion? By their career choices? By appearance and preconceptions most of all? In times of crisis, aren't we tempted to settle for easy answers if they seem to make us safer?

Submitted for your approval. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:36 pm 
Master Pilot

I read the following treatment at SF Signal Quote:The setting is the year 2528 and the Federation is a different place after suffering through a devastating war with the Romulans 60 years earlier. The war was sparked off after a surprise attack of dozens of "Omega particle" detonations throughout the Federation creating vast areas which become impassible to warp travel and essentially cut off almost half the Federation from the rest. During the war the Klingon homeworld was occupied by the Romulans, all of Andoria was destroyed and the Vulcans, who were negotiating reunification with the Romulans, pulled out of the Federation. The setting may seem bleak and not very Trek-like, but that is where the show's hero Captain Alexander Chase comes in. Relegated to border patrol, Chase is determined to bring the Federation (and a ship called Enterprise) back to the glory days of seeking out new life and new civilizations.
The poster of this treatment compared this setup to the 'reimmagining' of BattleStar Galactica. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>