Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Assimov-Foundation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:24 pm 
Master Pilot

Any Asimov fans out there? My favorite is still The Foundation Series. What a tremendously gifted writer! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/8/02 6:20:44 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Foundation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:01 pm 
Master Pilot

I am the eggman, I am the walrus, I am the MULE! Yes Harry Sheldon it all will fall...I miss my I Robot CD! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:54 am 
Master Pilot

Love "I Robot" though I really got hooked on Alan Parsons when he did The Edgar Allen Poe concept album.
"The Mule"! I forgot about him! I was so manipulated into hating him, and he was just a runt (with a great power). Asimov really rocked! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:37 pm 
Pilot

The only problem I had with Asimov is that the guy just could not write dialogue. I mean, really, just look at the stuff some time -- so stilted! Nobody really talks the way Asimov has his characters talk....

That said, the guy was certainly a master, and the "Foundation" series is a classic. "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" -- I had that quote on my home bulletin board for a really long time....

I heard Asimov speak once, at a Mensa gathering in New York. It was very cool.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Would loved to have heard Asimov in person. I have to be content with my video of The Planets in which he introduces the video; then follows only the classic piece "The Planets" and great photography of the planets themselves (love the "Venus" part). Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 10:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Foundation and Empire is probably my fav of the series cause there's alot of action going on, and I love the weird mentat eeriness of encountering the 2nd Foundation--but I agree Foundation does sound alot like the old Cordwainder Smith @ times-Smith had a penchant 4 grandiouse "space-opera" rather than concentrating on dialouge--but u have 2 admit that both Asimov and Smith r VERY engaging--Asimov took Smith 2 the next level, especially as far as a huge scope of context, universe crafting and technology, combined with some VERY interesting socio-political comentary and cool-ass mind games thrown in. Boy! that sentence was TOO long my english teachers would bop me in the head if they ever saw that! For my money Herbert and Zindell do the best job of combining "space-opera" and technology with dialouge--as does David Brin @ least in the 1st 3 Uplift books. But all 3 owe whatever platform they stand on 2 Asimov's groundbreaking efforts! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/11/02 3:15:52 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:46 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm a real Asimov nut. Got all The Foundation stuff, including all the later novels. Being a big fan of Lije and Daneel I even loved the way he linked his Foundation and Robot novels together.

BTW Danlo - have you read the Second Foundation Trilogy ? They were written by Bear, Beresford and Brin. You might enjoy their spin on the Asimov Universe. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:36 pm 
Master Pilot

I tried starting the Bear one but got distracted--been a while since I have read original Foundation so I felt I need 2 reread a little of that 2 get back up 2 speed--couldn't quite figure out how Sheldon got 2 that planet w/all it's strange underground passages-networks--but it was well writen--reminded me of The Wild by Zindell. Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/22/02 8:37:08 am
</i>

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:27 pm 
Master Pilot

Danlo -

They're quite good. All 3 novels are that authors attempt to write "their" style into Asimov's Universe. I prefer the masters stuff though. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 1:19 pm 
Master Pilot

My mom came over yesterday, and she handed me a near mint copy of <i> Forward the Foundation</i> (which I already had) that she found at a garage sale for 25 cents. It appears to have never even been read. Love the whole Foundation series. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:31 am 
Master Pilot

love scoring finds like that!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:39 pm 
Master Pilot

If anyone is lacking a copy of <i> Forward the Foundation</i>, I'd be happy to send him/her (from this forum) a great copy. Just let me know. (First ask, first get ) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:39 am 
Pilot

I enjoyed Foundation a lot as well. Although it has been quite a while since I read the trilogy. I took me a while to get into the book though, I say about 100 pages, but then it got good and enjoyed it from then on. My favorite book by Asimov is Nightfall.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:32 am 
Master Pilot

I love Nightfall! The movie they adapted it 2 was pretty cool--but not really what I envisioned in the book. I don't know y but I really, really dig The Gods Themselves--must b the way they talk through their intergalatic telepathy "I/me/this one feel that you/apart/the other..." I have 2 dust off the book and offer a real quote! I just love, I don't know y... The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:46 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, I loved the story, Nightfall, but I thought the film was pretty bad. I think Asimov must have needed some money to sell the rights to the story. In his later years, when his disease was causing considerable problems, he allowed so much collaboration. Still one of my favorite authors! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/28/04 8:59 am
</i>