[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Ray Bradbury-Master of the Sci-Fi Short Story

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ray Bradbury-Master of the Sci-Fi Short Story
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:47 pm 
Master Pilot

Along w/Issac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Cordwainder Smith, Jules Verne, Robert Heinlien, H.G. Wells, Frank Herbert and, of course, David Zindell I would have to put Ray Bradbury in my Sci-Fi Hall of Fame. Some of the most sophisticated translations of Sci-Fi 2 film have come from this Master: The Illustrated Man, Farenheit 451, The Martian Cronicles and The Wonderful IceCream Suit. 4 my gerneration, and b4, Farenheit 451 along w/Brave New World, Stranger in a Strange Land, 2001: A Space Odessy and 1984 have had a profound influence in shaping our preception of the world, crystalizing our fears and giving us hope 4 the future. I especially like Bradbury's short stories--in this small field, the Sci-Fi Short Story, Bradbury may very well b the undisputed Master! Aside from Farenheit all the filming I've talked about above has been adapted from short stories. Some of Bradbury's best short story collections include: R is for Rocket, Dandelion Wine, S is 4 Space, A Medicine 4 the Melancoly and my personal fav Golden Apples of the Sun. I love 2 talk about Bradbury-SO much 2 talk about-SO many different types of stories and subject matter-So much 2 absorb...I'd love 2 hear ur thoughts on the great man--and King, I know u'r dying 2 chat away.... Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/8/02 4:57:08 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Ray Bradbury-Master of the Sci-Fi Short Story
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:16 am 
Master Pilot

I never pass up something by Bradbury that I haven't read. He is the king of the short story. And, as for films, you left out two of my favorites: The Electric Grandmother and Something Wicked This Way Comes! Glad you started this thread, Danlo! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:08 pm 
Master Pilot

I know I did! As soon as I got I got off the comp I remembered Something Wicked This Way Comes--then I thought I could sneak back and change it b4 u caught me, darn...I have NEVER heard of the Electric Grandmother. I've def heard of I Sing the Body Electric, but never that. One of my fav short stories by RB is the Veldt, do u remember it? It's about the kids that r babysat by their virtual wall screen--and the parents come home and..well I won't go any futher. Anyway it's one of my fav Sci-Fi short stories I'd rank it up there w/Little Girl Lost by Harlan Ellison (of whom I've got 2 get 2 work on soon) which, along w/a couple of his other stories (gotto admit--tho the Sci-Fi Short Story field is small--unless u'r purposely writing 4 Analog or SF&F-- Ellison came pretty dam close 2 stealing RB's crown!) were some of the best things The Twilight Zone ever did! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/11/02 3:19:46 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:06 pm 
Master Pilot

I have always loved Bradbury's stories. He is one of the first scifi writers I read, and I read everything of his that I could get my hands on when I was in high school (many moons ago ).

The Martian Chronicles is a classic, which I've re-read many times.

Fahrenheit 451 is still a scary concept, even after all these years.

And I have read many of the others mentioned above.

~MsMary~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:17 am 
Master Pilot

Do I remember the Veldt?? Wonderful story and part of the film "The Illustrated Man." The Electric Grandmother was a very short film (30 minutes?) that starred Jean Stapelton (of Cocoon). War of the Worlds holds up well even today. I have a laser disc version with a STEREO soundtrack in CAV. Wonderful film (I think it won an award for special effects that year). One line from War of the Worlds, to this day, still makes me laugh: The group is huddled together in a bunker. The scientist is talking to the general, and the general is giving him reports about the invasion, and the scientist says, "Any news from abroad?" I always want to say, "No, she wouldn't tell us anything!" (with apologies to MMM) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: queston
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:48 am 
Pilot

dear mr bradbury
i have read your story the veldt in my reading class at hoover middle school in san jose california.i find your story very interesting and am wondering if there is any television film on the story whatsoever.if there is please notify me as soon as possible.
yours truely,
Brittany Nickens <i></i>

Post subject: Re: queston
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:07 am 
Master Pilot

Dear journeyman: Get the old video The Illustrated Man with Rod Stieger (and an actor who looks amazingly like Danlo, from Requiem for Homo Sapiens)--that film includes The Veldt, as 1 of the stories...p.s. now that I look at his post, King T should have talked about War of the Worlds in the H. G. Wells thread! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: Sylvanus at: 3/28/03 12:59:02 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: queston
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Martian Chroniucles is wonderful!! As well as the Illustrated Man. I think I'll have to track those books down for my kids for a good summer read for them. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:44 am 
The Timekeeper

Here's a very good cross-reference for Bradbury's short stories