[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - The Earthsea books

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Earthsea Cycle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:51 pm 
Pilot

I am now moving on to Tehanu. The Farthest Shore was sheer brilliance. Ah, Ged, what becomes of him? I know he has caused Furls Fire much sadness, when I ask her about him she just sighs and shakes her head. Do I want to read further? Of course I do.

And oh my, the dragons. I don't usually hold to stories with dragons, because I usually find them to be fluff. I always thought that nothing could compare to Smaug. I was proven wrong. These creatures that Le Guin has developed are magnificent! I can't wait to read more of them. Furls has assured me there are more dragons to come! -----------

"Even the blind can see this light, what a glorious passing this is." -Stephen C. McKinney<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:51 am 
Master Pilot

All right Shadow!!!

I am entirely with you on what you said about dragons. For the most part, they may as well be stinkin' unicorns. Everybody has to have one in their book, and they're pretty silly. But I guess you agree that it would be difficult to find a less silly, more compelling character than Orm Embar! He made my day!! And yeah, just WAIT!!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:13 am 
Master Pilot

Allright. I met the condition I told Duchess I'd have to reach before I started to post here. I finished The Tombs of Atuan today. Sorry to be such a poke about doing so, but....

I read A Wizard of Earthsea many years ago. I liked it then. I don't really know why I didn't continue on with the series. I love the world that LeGuin created. The traveling among the various islands. A likeable character like Ged. The story came back to me long before the end.

The Tombs of Atuan was a good read. I really felt for Tenar, stuck in such a vile life as the High Priestess for the Nameless Ones. Yet she was not without compassion. That vile old priestess couldn't stamp that out. And the sad tale of the brother and sister marooned on that tiny isle from the first book being explained. They would have appeared to bring about the end of the Godking, unless I'm reading the story wrong.

But that's why I'll have to start The Farthest Shore tomorrow. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:37 am 
Lady Scryer

I am glad you are enjoying your Christmas present. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:49 pm 
Master Pilot

You're not! Keep going! Hey Damelon! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: The Earthsea Cycle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:29 am 
Lady Scryer

Oh, but he is, Danlo. Last time I talked to him he had read the third book in one day, and was currently working on Tehanu. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Earthsea books
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:31 pm 
Master Pilot

According to an article dated about two weeks ago or so, and a copy is posted in the Manifold forum, the SciFi cable miniseries regarding the the Wizard of Earthsea is still being planned. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/15/04 11:32 am
</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:51 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
*placed holds on all books listed in Fist's first post at my library today*

...the only one I had to request through ILLiad is The Wind's Twelve Quarters...

Does anyone have a suggested reading order for incorporating all of the books and stories if they're available to the reader at one time?

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm not sure how the short stories from Wind's Twelve Quarters would fit in, but would probably read the novels in order of publication.

Be aware that there was a huge gap in years of publication between The Furthest Shore and Tehanu, and the tone and focus of the story shifts quite a bit from the the first three to the fourth (and thereafter) books. :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:44 pm 
Master Pilot

The order is:

-A Wizard of Earthsea
-The Tombs of Atuan
-The Farthest Shore
-Tehanu
-Dragonfly
-The Other Wind

Like duchess said, Don't worry about TWTQ.

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:27 pm 

Thank you both. I should have all of these but TWTQ by the weekend.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:17 am 
The UnTitled

Tehanu was the best of all.

--A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, I also got a little jolt when I saw his posts here. :(

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:07 pm 

I am sorry if I have caused unintended pain by bumping an old thread.

~Avatar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next