Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Earthsea books
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:22 am 
Master Pilot

For those who don't know, here's a list of all the stories about Earthsea.

-A Wizard of Earthsea
-The Tombs of Atuan
-The Farthest Shore
-Tehanu
-Dragonfly
-The Other Wind

-Tales From Earthsea
-The Word of Unbinding
-The Rule of Names

The first group is one huge cycle. Dragonfly was originally published in a big collection called Legends, which had lots of novellas by many authors set in worlds that they had previously written about. Fortunately, Dragonfly is also one of the stories in Tales From Earthsea. The other Tales are from various points in Earthsea's history. Some are set long before the time of the cycle; some are just prior to the cycle; and some are from the same time that the cycle takes place, but have nothing to do with that cycle.

The Word of Unbinding and The Rule of Names can be found together in a collection of Le Guin short stories called The Wind's Twelve Quarters. (Which I gather is out of print, so check used sites.) She wrote them before she wrote A Wizard of Earthsea. If you try real hard, you can maybe fit them into the overall continuity. But, since they were written first, before she had a clear idea of the whole thing, they are really separate from it all. But still, fantastic stories!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Earthsea books
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

OK, Highdrake -- you've convinced me. I will move my Earthsea reread up to number three on my pile of books to consume!
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

*sigh* Well, I suppose that'll have to do. For now anyway!

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:48 am 
Lady Scryer

Given how many books I still have left to read from that huge gift certificate from back in April, that is actually doing very well. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, I finished both The Word of Unbinding and The Rule of Names and enjoyed them both immensely! If The Word of Unbinding is a prototype story it's fantastic elements contributed to some wonderful key parts of The Farthest Shore. As Highdrake commented on in another thread yes the roots, waters, and the very earth brought a very happy environmentalist out in me again.

Like SRD, Le Guin has a serious means to "connect" the reader with the life and magic of the very earth itself. Also like SRD, once you are in this new world a complete sense of a new reality overwhelms the readers. (not many authors in this genre have that gift, in fact not many authors period..).

The Rule of Names is short yet amazingly complex--funny, unpredictable and merciless. If you haven't read this story you must! It conjures up emotional memories of our hero Ged making his lonely voyage from island to island in Wizard... GOOD STUFF!
-------
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/2/03 12:46 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:56 am 
Master Pilot

People reading Earthsea!!!!! I can hardly contain myself!!!! Danlo, isn't it incredible how much impact these short stories have? ____________

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:11 pm 
Master Pilot

I can't wait 2 grab The Other Wind or Legends next! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/23/03 9:23 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

Go for Legends -- there is also a wonderful short story by Martin and another good one by Tad Williams! One is set in Westeros and the other in the same world as his Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series...you can get three great authors in one book that way! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:53 pm 
Master Pilot

I can't wait for Legends 2! I already have Legends, I loved it! Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:50 am 
Lady Scryer

Legends 2 is coming out very soon in Britain, I'm not sure when it will be released in the US...
OK, Highdrake. With the power down I ripped through the bit I had left in the Simmons book and ripped through the Banks book, and am now halfway done with the first Earthsea book. When I am a little more awake I hope to post a couple of quotes and a bit of discussion from all three books I just mentioned... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:34 pm 
Master Pilot

Did The Other Wind come out recently? Either the best used books stores in Albq. don't have it or, like Martin, it's 2 good 2 sell back or trade... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think it is a fairly recent book, I got mine not long ago in hardcover from my bookclub, I am not even sure if it is in paperback yet...
If you do buy Legends beware! The hardcover and trade paperbacks are complete anthologies, but in the regular paperbacks they split it up for some unknown reason, so make sure you get the version with the authors you want in it! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:03 am 
Master Pilot

Each of the 3 paperbacks is the size of a typical paperback. I imagine they figured it would have been way too big for a single volume. ____________

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:14 am 
Lady Scryer

That is probably the reason, but regardless -- make sure you get the one with the authors you like! Especially if you are looking for one specific story... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I've read the first two books and still cannot find book 3 in my basement...so I am taking a break until I can find it...this weekend, Highdrake, if I have time I hope to post a couple of favorite quotes...this are short books, but very profound... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell