Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:20 pm 
Master Pilot

A Le Guin forum!! This is thrilling and terrifying!

Terrifying first...
It's been many years since I read anything other than the Earthsea books, and I've only read The Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, and The Eye of the Heron. At the moment, I am almost unable to discuss anything other than Earthsea.

The thrilling...
Earthsea!!!! I can discuss the &%#@ out of Earthsea!

So thank you Danlo, for this opportunity. I'll try to figure out ways to keep things hopping around here.

And yes, this forum looks beautiful!!! The map in the background is the perfect choice!!! The effect of the page moving over top of it is great! (How often do we forget that there really isn't anything moving, just pixels changing color?) ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:33 pm 
Pilot

I just got A Wizard of Earthsea. I'm nearly done with it. Yay!

(A certain Raver kinda made me read the thing, but still....)

I like it so far, but it seems like there's going to be an odd ending. Ack, must read on! I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:06 pm 
Master Pilot

I was just at 2 used book stores looking 4 12 Tales...but no luck. Saw a copy of Tehanu at a yard sale...and I was tempted, boy I was tempted. 1 store had The Dispossed but after the iffy reviews I was worried so didn't get it... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:11 am 
Master Pilot

Excellent, Maegan!!! Another Earthsea reader! But why do you suspect an "odd" ending? Anyway, what did you think of Ged's encounter with Yevaud? And Ogion is just... *sigh*

Danlo, I only remember several moments from The Disposessed, but I remember loving it. It reminds me of Data and 7 of 9 - the main character being from a completely different culture than ours, pointing out the oddities (and horrors) of us. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:23 am 
Lady Scryer

I read it some twenty years or so ago, but I do remember enjoying it...don't remember much about the plot, but I do remember liking it...I shall have to reread it someday...I also remember reading The Left Hand of Darkness, which I also enjoyed...and I have been wanting to reread Earthsea for quite sometime. I am glad this forum is here, maybe it will give me the motivation to reread Earthsea sometime soon... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:39 pm 
Master Pilot

This place looks great! Congrats HD!
Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:19 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks mhoram!

And, uh, I'm kinda hoping you'll start a topic here. It seems that you are a big Earthsea lover too! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i>Edited by: Highdrake at: 7/27/03 4:21 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:58 pm 
Master Pilot

I read two of the Earthsea books, but I never finished the third. I thoroughly enjoyed the first. I also read a short story, whose name I cannot recall... Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:17 am 
Master Pilot

I assume you mean The Rule of Names, because of Yevaud.

But man you gotta read the rest!!! I swear... What are you, in Boston? Don't make me come there and read it aloud to you!! I'll use silly voices, just for spite!! The Farthest Shore has the dragon Orm Embar, and he is... *WHEW* ____________

Post subject: Quick Ursula facts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:25 pm 
Master Pilot

Ms. Le Guin has won 3 Nebula awards for The Disposessed, The Left Hand of Darkness and Tehanu

Ms. Le Guin has won 2 Hugo awards for The Disposessed and The Left Hand of Darkness

Ms. Le Guin won The British Science Fiction Assn.'s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2002 And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/29/03 2:55 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Quick Ursula facts
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Highdrake I own all 4 books, so I'll read them based upon your recommendation. Yes, it was The Rule of Names that I read. Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Just bought The Wind's 12 Quarters! The Word of Unbinding gave me serious chills and brought straight me back 2 the eerie Land of the Dead in The Farthest Shore. Am in the middle of The Rule of Names, as we speak. Are those the only 2 Earthsea related stories in the book? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, those are the only 2. And words can't say how much I LOVE The Word of Unbinding!!!! My most favoritest quote, which I put in my second post at this site:Quote:The water ran timelessly from its clear spring. He lay on the sand of the pool’s bottom letting running water, stronger than any spell of healing, sooth his wound and with its coolness wash away the bleaker cold that had entered him.It ties right in with another that I quoted in that same post, from Dragonfly:Quote:“How do you know what name to say, Rose? Does the water tell you?”

The witch shook her iron-grey head once. “I can’t tell you.” Her “can’t” did not mean “won’t.” Dragonfly waited. “It’s the power, like I said. It comes just so.” Rose stopped her spinning and looked up with one eye at a cloud in the west; the other looked a little northward of the sky. “You’re there in the water, together, you and the child. You take away the child-name. People may go on using that name for a use-name, but it’s not her name, nor ever was. So now she’s not a child, and she has no name. So then you wait. In the water there. You open your mind up, like. Like opening the doors of a house to the wind. So it comes. Your tongue speaks it, the name. Your breath makes it. You give it to that child, the breath, the name. You can’t think of it. You let it come to you. It must come through you and the water to her it belongs to. That’s the power, the way it works. It’s all like that. It’s not a thing you do. You have to know how to let it do. That’s all the mastery.”

“Mages can do more than that,” the girl said after a while.

“Nobody can do more than that,” said Rose.In these quotes, among many others, Le Guin is telling us that the magic is all around us! We just have to let it happen! ____________

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:01 am 
Master Pilot

Danlo wrote before me:
Quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ms. Le Guin has won 3 Nebula awards for The Disposessed, The Left Hand of Darkness and Tehanu

Ms. Le Guin has won 2 Hugo awards for The Disposessed and The Left Hand of Darkness

Ms. Le Guin won The British Science Fiction Assn.'s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2002 In addition to these awards earlier in 2003 Ms. LeGuin was awarded by SFWA (Science Fiction Writers Assoc. www.sfwa.org/) their Grand Master award. (Source reference Locus Magazine www.locusmag.com/ archives) Presentation was at the SFWA's Nebula Awards Weekend in Philadelphia in April 2003. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 8/2/03 2:03 am
</i>

Post subject: only two stories?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:29 am 
Pilot

Hi,
According to the notes Ursula added to the stories the two stories Words of Unbinding and Rule of Names are the only two stories in the 12 WQ's. However, I read two years ago on some website there was another story which might took place on Earthsea.

I can not find that article again , and I don't recall whether that story was in the 12 WQ's (for I did not have that book yet). So there might be one other (pre 1972 story going round!!!) <i></i>