[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - A Wizard Of Earthsea: Ursula K. LeGuin

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Wizard Of Earthsea: Ursula K. LeGuin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:04 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:56 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:03 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject: The Furthest Shore
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:19 pm 
Pilot

Post subject: Re: The Furthest Shore
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:39 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:37 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:08 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:21 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:53 pm 
Pilot

Post subject: Earthsea mini-series
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:23 pm 
Pilot

I'm not sure exactly what is on topic, but the conversation attracted me enough to want to add something.

About 2 years ago, I talked to a friend of my brother-in-law who happens to be a writer/screen-writer about doing a screenplay for A Wizard of Earthsea. I'm completely naive about the entertainment industry, but I thought it might be a good thing to try, since the Earthsea trilogy is far and away better than the insipid/derivative Harry Potter books. I had this wild idea that if I could get someone to write a screenplay and get something in copyright, it might allow me to get involved in some way at a later date.

I thought to ask the screen-write person to do it, since I'm not a writer and know even less about screen-writing. I figured I could share copyright if I did some editing and paid her, of course. There were two snags: 1. I needed to get permission from Ursula LeGuin (or whoever she might have sold the rights to) and 2. the screen-writer person wanted $5-10k. I hate to say it but the money was the main barrier. So, needless to say that went nowhere.

I stumbled on this thread because I was curious about any mentions of Earthsea now that it seems Hollywood is desperately searching for literary material to adapt, as they're ability to produce original material is pretty much absent. First I noticed news about an Earthsea mini-series [link=http://www.themediadrome.com/content/news/may_2001/scifi_earthsea.htm newwindow]here[/link],[link=http://www.code7r.org/b5lrlinks/sfcpr3.htm newwindow]here[/link], [link=http://www.sftv.org/sftv/scifi2003.html newwindow]here[/link]. Has anyone heard anything more substantial? THe SciFi channel bboard has [link=http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/984/7657 newwindow]this[/link].

I'm somewhat concerned that the mini-series might never be finished, because many in-development projects show up on [link=http://www.imdb.com newwindow]IMDB[/link], but Earthsea has not.

For those who have not read Roger Zelazny, I highly recommend Lord of Light (Hugo award winner). More of a sci-fi than fantasy book, but much better, I thought, than any of the Amber series.

BTW, I think someone earlier in the thread called the priestess from Tombs of Atuan, "anha". I think it's "Arha" ("the eaten one" or something like that), but the character's name is actually "Tenar", who is supposed to be the re-incarnation of "Arha" (as explain [link=http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/ALAN/spring96/griffin.html newwindow]here[/link]).

- Fandyllic <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Earthsea mini-series
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:27 am 
Master Pilot

Fandyllic, I sure hope to look at those links very soon! Thanks for posting! And don't stop now!!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:40 pm 
Pilot

Talking about skin colour:as far as I remember people from the area Ged came from had reddish-tanned complexion and people from the East had very dark complexion, but they had light eyes (Yarrow for example). This appearence does not happen very often so make-up will be necessary. That's life: Trust and you're betrayed; don't trust and you betray yourself.<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:06 am 
Pilot

I am not entirely sure whether I am putting this on the right thread, but I watched the first of the Earthsea mini-series and I was really annoyed by the WASP quality of Ged and his people. How white were they?! and I think they could have made an effort to reduce the accents down, away from the broad American. I am not being anti-American accent, it's just that it makes it less fantasy, if you can relate the accents to a particular country. It is hard to do, but voice coaches often work in the theatre to make voices less geographical. The series needed that. I guess it was money, but it was a big shame on the skin-colour most of all. Even an African-American actor would have made more sense. I didn't watch any of the others. I was too disappointed. <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:09 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
May I just say...

All my life, since reading the Pern books, I have desired a firelizard of my own. I will now add the desire for a harrekki to this list.

...however, this is only based upon chapter nine of AWoE, so I have no idea if I will learn more of these creatures to dissuade me...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:00 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
fini

...wow...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next