Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Miyazaki and Earthsea?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:32 pm 
Master Pilot

A friend brought this rumor to my attention. I think Miyazaki could do a very creditable job with the Earthsea series, if he is faithful to LeGuin's stories.

Here's the link (you have to scroll down pretty far to see the story, which I have cut and pasted below):

www.animenewsservice.com/

Quote:9-20-05 (4:12AM EST)---- Gedo Senki To Be Ghibli And Miyazaki's Next?
According to a blog entry of an anonymous editor working for a publisher in Tokyo, the next film animation work to be tackled by Studio Ghibli will be based on the Earthsea series of novels by American fantasy writer Ursula K. Le Guin. Specifically, the book Gedo Senki (Japanese Title). Hayao Miyazaki will reportedly direct. The editor learned of this news when a film rights option was being sought by the book's Japanese publisher Iwanami Shoten. The America-based Sci-Fi Channel adapted Le Guin's Earthsea series to TV in 2004 in it's "Legend of Earthsea" miniseries. The author has expressed her disapproval of the faithfulness to the original works of the above TV version. Miyazaki has in the past admitted being an admirer of Le Guin's writings. "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Miyazaki and Earthsea?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

Oh, thank you for that link! If true, this would be fantastically good!!!!! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:49 am 
Master Pilot

A great interpretation would be joyous beyond words. Another horror like the last might kill me.

Thanks for the news!!!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:26 pm 
Pilot

I couldn't agree with you more, Highdrake! A belated response, but none-the-less heartfelt. ________________________________
The soul never thinks without an image. --Aristotle

Stop by and visit Sister's Reading Room<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:23 pm 
Master Pilot

It's official.

"Studio Ghibli has officially announced that their next feature film will be Gedo Senki (Gedo War History), directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro Miyazaki. The film will be an adaptation of Ursula K Le Guin's "A Wizard of Earthsea," and will be released in the Japanese theatres in July 2006."

There's a nice pic up at the studio's website (no, I can't read the Japanese. )

www.ghibli.jp/ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:25 pm 
Lady Scryer

That is a nice picture.

And very good news. After hearing about how that miniseries was, I could not bring myself to watch it. But knowing the high quality of many Japanese animated films, I have my hopes up for this one. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:34 am 
Master Pilot

Well, the picture is nice, even if that scene never took place in WoE. I sure hope it's just an ad.

But I really like the noise it makes when I move the cursor over the links! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>