Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LeGuin on Film
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have the video made of her book The Lathe of Heaven, which was originally made for television. It is well done and very thought provoking...
And it makes me wonder if any of her other books have ever been turned into some sort of film?
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: LeGuin on Film
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Which Lathe of Heaven--there was and old 1 made by PBS which was great! I haven't seen the recent one...has somebody like William Hurt in it right? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:01 am 
Lady Scryer

I have the PBS version. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:56 pm 
Pilot

I read somewhere that A wizard of earthsea was going to be made into a miniseries by SCI FI channel. Can anyone confirm this? I think it was the whole trilogy they were going to make into a miniseries. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:08 am 
Pilot

Yes, there are plans to make Earthsea into a miniseries. More, Phillipa Bowen (who co-wrote LOTR) is one of the writers! "O Let my name be in the Book of Love!
If it be there, I care not of
That other great book above!
Strike it out, or write it in anew,
But let my name be in the Book of Love!"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:35 pm 
Master Pilot

Outrageous! come on! (but take ur time as well--make it the best production u can! ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

That is great news!

Post subject: when
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:45 pm 
Pilot

does anyone konw when this is supposed to come out? <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:45 am 
Master Pilot

I will absolutely DIE!!! Either way, good or bad. Death by horror or death by joy!!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: when
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

I did find this by googling, but it is a news release from 2001, so I don't know whether or not the information is still valid...

The Sci Fi Channel has green-lighted a big-budget miniseries based on Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea trilogy. The miniseries will be produced by Lawrence Bender (The Mexican) and Kevin Brown (Roswell).

"Projects like Earthsea are important to us," said Bonnie Hammer, president of the Sci Fi Channel. "We want the showbiz community to stand up and take notice that Sci Fi Channel is no longer that little cabler you don't have to pay attention to."

"Earthsea is one of the most influential sci-fi fantasy series ever," Brown said. "You see elements of it in everything from 'Star Wars' to 'Harry Potter.' We hope to show with this mini-series why the original is still the best.

Brown and Bender still need to find a screenwriter to adapt the original trilogy: The Wizard of Earthsea, Tales of Earthsea and Tombs of Atuan. The sixth among Le Guin's Earthsea series, The Other Wind, will be released this fall. After a script is completed, Sci Fi will decide whether to produce Earthsea in-house or to solicit the involvement of a major studio.

Sci Fi has been gradually raising its profile and ratings with a mix of acquired programming, like Babylon 5 and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, and original programming, like its hit series The Invisible Man and Farscape. The record ratings earned in December by its six-hour miniseries Frank Herbert's Dune have proven that quality adaptations of classic science fiction novels can pay off. Sci Fi is targeting well-known science fiction novels because it makes it possible to attract equity partnership deals from foreign broadcasters to help defray production costs.

In addition to Earthsea, Sci Fi will also produce a 20-hour miniseries called Taken, in conjunction with Steven Spielberg and DreamWorks; a six-hour sequel to Dune, a four-hour sequel to Stephen King's novel Firestarter and a four-hour adaptation of the Kim Stanley Robinson novel Red Mars.

____________________________________________________ Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

I also found his little thing, but again it is rather old...I can't seem to find anything current.

The Sci-Fi Channel reportedly has not one but two Le Guin miniseries in development: an adaptation of The Left Hand of Darkness due out in 2003, as well as a six-hour, "big budget" miniseries based on the first trilogy of Earthsea books. Here's an article about the Earthsea series. (Note: it was the same article I posted above) According to this page, Lord of the Rings screenwriter Phillippa Boyens has been signed on for the Earthsea script. Having very much enjoyed The Sci-Fi Channel's recent adaptation of Dune, I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with UKL's books.

Post subject: follow up to when
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:11 pm 
Pilot

the reason i was asking when is because i read a section on this website www.scifi.com/sfw/issue230/screen.html
that said:
Earthsea SCI FI, 2003
The first three novels in Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series will be made into a six-hour miniseries from a script written by Philippa Bovens, who adapted the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. The miniseries will cover A Wizard of Earthsea, Tales of Earthsea and Tombs of Atuan, and tell the story of an awkward boy who becomes a wizard's apprentice, and what happens to him when he discovers Sparrowhawk is his true name. As he begins his transition into becoming a man, his journey will pit him against an evil that may be connected to him.

but like some of you have been saying this is from 2001 and i haven't heard anything further on it so that's why i was asking <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:12 pm 
Master Pilot

I sure hope they do the actual books of the original trilogy, instead of substituting Tales From Earthsea for The Farthest Shore!!! LOL

A shame they don't get someone who actually knows the books for this project. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: follow up to when
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:49 pm 
Master Pilot

From biz.yahoo.com/prnews/0401...179_1.html

SCI FI Greenlights 'Earthsea' for Production in New Zealand
Wednesday January 7, 3:33 pm ET
Channel Continues Aggressive Event Strategy With Best-Selling 'Earthsea'

NEW YORK, Jan. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- SCI FI Channel, the largest provider of original movies and miniseries on television, announces production start on Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea. Produced by Hallmark Entertainment in association with Bender-Brown Productions, this four-hour miniseries epic will begin principle photography this spring in New Zealand. Adapted from award- winning novelist Ursula K. Le Guin's "Earthsea" book series, Earthsea is written by Gavin Scott (The Mists of Avalon) with Robert Halmi, Sr. (Dreamkeeper, Merlin), Lawrence Bender (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) and Kevin Brown (Roswell) executive producing. Earthsea is slated to debut on SCI FI in December 2004.

Earthsea follows the tale of a reckless youth destined to become the greatest sorcerer that the mystical land of Earthsea has ever known. When the young wizard Ged discovers that he possesses infinite magical powers, he seeks to master the ancient arts. As he journeys to manhood, he will combat dragons, fall in love, cross death's threshold, and ultimately wield the power to reunite a kingdom.

Earthsea is an adaptation of the first two of Le Guin's famed Earthsea trilogy novels: A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan. Frequently listed alongside Tolkien's Middle Earth and C.S. Lewis's Narnia as one of fantasy's greatest literary creations, the stories of Earthsea have been translated into 16 languages, with millions of copies in print. Popular with readers both within and outside the science-fiction arena, author Le Guin has won five Hugo awards and five Nebula awards. She has also earned a National Book Award, and been named a finalist for the American Book Award numerous times.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:31 pm 
Lady Scryer

<i></i>