Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tehanu
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

I will start rereading this book probably later this week...I remember great feelings of sadness when I read the first time years ago, and am interested in seeing if it once again has that affect on me...

Quote:Once she had been a priestess, quest-companion to a powerful mage, a student of high magic. Then she gave it all up to be a farmer's wife on Gont, content to lead a simple life. But Tenar was not born to live her days in peace, away from great events. A dying wizard and an abused child were the first to call her back to the path she had abandoned. For the end of the adventure beckoned and Tenar would be there along with the dragons, mages, and the young king, himself to share in the unforgettable fate of the kingdom known as Earthsea. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/9/03 10:52 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Tehanu
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:38 pm 
Master Pilot

It's breaking my heart...

Oh Ged

Quote:Moss had shown the child how to weave grass baskets, and clumsy as her crippled hand was, she had begun to get the trick of it. She sat there in the meadow grass with her work on her lap, but she was not working. She was watching Sparrowhawk.

He stood a good way off, nearer the cliff's edge. His back was turned, and he did not know anyone was watching him, for he was watching a bird, a young kestrel; and she in turn was watching some small prey she had glimpsed in the grass. She hung beating her wings, wanting to flush the vole or mouse, to panic it into a rush to its nest. The man stood, as intent, as hungry, gazing at the bird. Slowly he lifted his right hand, holding the forearm level, and he seemed to speak, though the wind bore his words away. The kestrel veered, crying her high, harsh, keening cry, and shot up and off toward the forests.

The man lowered his arm and stood still, watching the bird. The child and the woman were still. Only the bird flew, went free.

All gone...I had tears when I read that.

And this feeling shame over losing it all, of wanting to hide from the king's men...so sad. He did a great deed, and all he feels is shame? Oh Ged *********

"And the glory of the world becomes less than it was."<i>Edited by: FurlsFire at: 11/9/03 1:39 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:21 am 
Master Pilot

Yes, duchess, as Fire just demonstrated, it is going to be sad this time around too. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Ah, Tenar and Ged

Quote:"Well," she said, "which bed shall I sleep in, Ged? The child's or yours?"

He drew breath. He spoke low. "Mine, if you will."

"I will."

The silence held him. She could see the effort he made to break from it. "If you'll be patient with me," he said.

"I have been patient with you for twenty-five years," she said. She looked at him and began to laugh. "Come--come on, my dear--better late than never! I'm only an old woman...nothing is wasted, nothing is ever wasted. You taught me that." She stood up, and he stood; she put out her hands, and he took them. They embraced, and their embrace became close. They held each other so fiercely, so dearly, that they stopped knowing anything but each other. It did not matter which bed they meant to sleep in. They lay that night on the hearthstones, and there she taught Ged the mystery that the wisest man could not teach him.

I was hoping for this!! And I love it..."and there she taught Ged the mystery that the wisest man could not teach him." Wooooo Hoooo...you go girl!! *********

"And the glory of the world becomes less than it was."<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:20 pm 
Master Pilot

--so I need a refresher course (No not in THAT! ) Does a mage always have 2 be chaste? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:51 pm 
Master Pilot

LOL danlo!!

And yes, I think they are required to remain chaste. Moss tells Tenar this after Ged leaves the Overfell. *********

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Two chapters in and I am already sad and depressed. This and The Wounded Land by Donaldson are perhaps the two most difficult books I have read.
I find it very difficult to deal with the child abuse that happens in the beginning of the book. ******************************************************

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:06 pm 
Master Pilot

I know what you mean, Duchy. That was hard for me to read as well. What's even worse, is people asking "what did she do?" As tho anything this baby could have done would warrant such horrific abuse. Doing the sign averting evil and so forth when she comes among them...makes me angry.
:">
btw, going to throw this out there, and I'm sure Fist (Highdrake) will not say yay or nay to it. But, seems to me that our little Therru/Tehanu... (yes, I'm sure that's her "true name", even tho it hasn't been revealed yet.)...is going to be our next Archmage at Roke. Just a feeling *********

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:44 am 
Master Pilot

You're absolutely right!! I'm not going to say yay or nay. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:13 pm 
Master Pilot

LOL!! You don't have too! Just finished it last night. Awesome!! Kalessin is Segoy, (which I kind of expected), and Tehanu, oh how special she is. Can't wait to get The Other Wind now.

Quote:The dragon turned its enormous, rust-dark head to watch them with both eyes. The nostril pits, big as kettles, were bright with fire, and wisps of smoke curled from them. The heat of the dragon's body beat through the cold sea wind.

"Tehanu," the dragon said.

The child turned to look at it.

"Kalessin," she said.

Then Ged, who had remained kneeling, stood up, though shakily, catching Tenar's arm to steady himself. He laughed. "Now I know who called thee, Eldest!" he said.

"I did," the child said. "I did not know what else to do, Segoy."

She still looked at the dragon, and she spoke in the language of the dragons, the words of the Making.

"It was well, child," the dragon said. "I have sought thee long."

"Shall we go there now?" the child asked. "Where the others are, on the other wind?"

"Would you leave these?"

"No," said the child. "Can they not come?"

"They cannot come. Their life is here."

"I will stay with them," she said, with a little catch of breath.

Kalessin turned aside to give that immense furnance-blast of laughter or contempt or delight or anger--"Hah!" Then, looking again at the child, "It is well. Thou hast work to do here."

"I know." the child said.

"I will come back for thee," Kalessin said, "in time." And, to Ged and Tenar, "I give you my child, as you will give me yours."

"In time," Tenar said.

Brought tears to my eyes. Awesome, just awesome... *********

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

I finished last night, too...this book makes me so sad...so much grief, loss, cruelty...
There are happy moments, like when a certain couple happens, and an unexpected last minute rescue from a sticky situation, but overall, this book makes me feel very sad, very downhearted...
Luckily I picked up my copy of Tales from Earthsea this morning, and the first story (the one with Highdrake in it ) completely rocks! ******************************************************

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

ps. Furls Fure, I think Tales from Earthsea comes next...at least it was published before The Other Wind...Highdrake can certainly tell us. ******************************************************

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:55 am 
Master Pilot

Okay I have both on order from Amazon.

Just started Dark Tower 5...WHAT a complete contrast to Earthsea..hehe. Different mindset, that's for sure. *********

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:52 am 
Master Pilot

The important thing is to read Dragonfly before The Other Wind. But whether you do those two before or after the other stories in Tales is unimportant.

Yes, this book is veeeeeery sad!! I go into something of a rage when Ged is being abused the way he is!!! (No emoticon for this one!!!) But it has that wonderful moment of Ged and Tenar, which might spring to mind during a certain part of Tales. And, of course, as you will see, it sets up the next two stories.

But best of all, and worth the whole book, is the conversation between Tehanu and Kalessin!!! Man, that is slammin'!!!! ____________

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:57 am 
Master Pilot

It sure was! And when she called him "Segoy", I went "ah ha! I knew it!! And all the references in the story to her being hot to the touch and always seemed to be "burning." I knew she had to be of the dragon folk.

I can't wait to read the rest of her story. Awesome character!!

And...good end to that Aspen dude. :"> :">

Ged really broke my heart in this book. I wish he would have gone to Havnor for the coronation. *********