Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bran/Rickon question in SoS beginning
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:55 am 
Pilot

Didn't Bran and Rickon die at the mill in CoK? And their heads were on spikes? I'm like 100 pages into SoS and am confused. Will something "magical" explain this? Or did I
COMPLETELY miss something? I don't see how... or is it a timing thing? Like Bran/Rickon are alive because those chapters occur before, in time, they are killed in previous
chapters? If that's the answer, that would be lame so I can only think that something magical and miraculous happens/ed.

TIA! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Bran/Rickon question in SoS beginning
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:20 am 
Lady Scryer

They were not killed at all. It's been awhile since I read it, but if I recall corectly, they hid away with some trusted people in the crypts of the Starks down under Wintefell. Two other little boys were murdered in their place, so everyone would think they were dead. After a few days they were spirited away by faithful retainers in opposite directions. Bran is taken North, Rickon, from what I remember, is on his way to the Marshes of the Reed family? Hopefully someone who has read them more recently than I can correct any mistakes I have made... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Bran/Rickon question in SoS beginning
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:34 pm 
Pilot

Yes, that's right. First 'Reek' says he thinks they may have gone to where the miller and her children lived, then the next Theon chapter he thinks on the childrens screams and having to kill everyone that knows (he really hates himself for it in this chapter and every one after), and at the end of that chapter he thinks:
'The miller's boys had been of an age with Bran and Rickon, alike in size and coloring, and once Reek had flayed the skin from their faces and dipped their heads in tar, it was easy to see familiar features in those misshapen lumps of rotting flesh. People were such fools. <i>If we'd said they were ram's heads, they would have seen horns.</i>'
On top of that, the Maester (forgot his name) told Bran later that he'd seen the bodies, that the boy's legs were healthy (Theon had never thought on why the Maester was the only one who wanted a close look at the bodies). <i></i>