Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Clash of Kings (SPOILERS!!)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:40 am 
Master Pilot

Only 50 pages in2 this book and it is frikin AWESOME!!!! go: The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: A Clash of Kings
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Past page 200, alot of stuff going on--Tyrion, Stannis Baratheon's strange agenda, dragon wings flapping, Dagmar Cleftjaw--u name it! It's startin' 2 git reeeel xcitin', yee haw!!! (only 800 more pgs 2 go, but who cares!)
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/28/02 1:59:00 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:15 pm 
Master Pilot

Pg. 500! Y Stannis didn't kill Renly where he stood is byond me! Every1's about 2 knock some serious head!!! I love this book, especially the way the magic, dragons and "greensight" are real, downplayed--but very, very subtle @ the same time:Quote: "Was it magic?" (says Bran) "Call it that for want of a better word, if you must. At heart it was only a different sort of knowledge" (Maester Luwin)The Wiccans would agree with that assesment! (you know I'm going 2 keep talking 2 myself until some1 else, like say beren, chimes in...)
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/20/02 3:20:35 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:34 pm 
Master Pilot

general relections at pg 600: What's left of a Lord is returning 2 Winterfell. Theon Greyjoy is a vile traitorus fool--y any1 would want 2 attempt 2 gain control over that family is beyond me! Asha, on the other hand, is something else, and HOT! Perhaps Robb is streched a little 2 far west? Cat and Tyrion seem 2 b the only 2 that have their act 2gether. But world events r moving almost faster than Tyrion can keep up with. It appears that Westeros is on the brink of chaos. Dany and Theon appear up the creek w/o a paddle. Winterfell is too vunerable. Again it appears that magic and major wars r about 2 break out everywhere at once!
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/2/02 7:18:09 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

A lot of guys LIKE Asha Greyjoy! Can you believe there are actually big long threads over at Ran's board about the possible redemption of Theon? I hate that guy! He's such a sniveling little bully... my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:54 am 
Master Pilot

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:41 am 
Master Pilot

I'm now at about pg 670, can u spell assassin? Good cauz I can't. Prince Tommen is being moved 2 Rosby. Ghost was off hunting in Jon's last chapt. (I love Halfhand, btw...) and Stanis is up 2 a whole lot of no good...Where in the heck is Littlefinger? While Catelin holds remorse 4 not comforting Petyr way back when she also wonders about Jon's real mother. "Why are these men so protective of their bastards?"...
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Ah, but an equally good question is WHO is Jon's father!
Ned never actually says that Jon is his...just says that Jon is of his blood...
I've always wondered about BOTH of Jon's parents! "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:32 am 
Pilot

LOL love the running commentry !
i wondered about his parents too, more the mother than the father though. afterall it does say in the description of him that he has the look of a stark. but then again that could mean anything. now i'm wondering about both!
did anyone else find that they'd get caught up in one story and then it'd end. i found it really tempting to, in the same way i did with the Otherland series, to want to keep reading about that character. and then i'd get pulled in by the next one and the next one...
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:53 am 
Master Pilot

Ok I admit I get pulled in2 the Jon and Tyrion chapters more than the others...It just happens, doesn't matter if the other stuff is great or vital--I also like Arya's chapts 2!
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/15/02 11:00:00 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:47 pm 
Lady Scryer

I like Tyrion's chapters -- he has that great wit! They are fun to read! I like Jon and Dany, too, because they go to places the others don't, and Dany's especially because of the dragons. And I like Ned's and Sam's because they're just nice guys. I started liking Arya's a lot more in Storm of Swords, because she shows the effects of the Game of Thrones on the little people of Westeros. But I won't get into that, because I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read it.
To me one of the central mysteries of the books has become "Who are Jon's Parents?" I have come to believe that his parents are not at all who they first appear to be, but again, my theory is a bit on the wild end, and I don't want to spoil anyone else's enjoyment... "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:04 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, at least Beren has proven 2 me that he is not Gendry's brother! That was a freaky thought! I like the Ned chapts 2, they'r just not in ACoK, which is a really rude abbrv. btw...
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/27/02 9:17:30 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:55 am 
Lady Scryer

I had never noticed that, but you're quite right! About the abrreviation!
I also like Davos, because he's another nice and honorable man. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:23 am 
Master Pilot

Ah the Onion Knight! Yes he does have good values, but it hurts 2 c him used so by whacko (or some would say merciless, thus, actually, better at the "Game", un42nately..) Stannis ( I refuse 2 call any of them Kings just yet...xcept 4 mayb Robb...) of Storm's End & Dragonstone...I don't even want 2 talk about Melissandre yet, god she gives me the willies! I almost think she's a man in disquise!!! (I got the flag guys just 4 Martin, they r my Bannermen! And urs! )
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/27/02 9:19:06 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:29 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes! The Red Witch gives the utter and complete Willies!!! "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>