Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: George R.R. Martin
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:51 pm 
Master Pilot

Thank u VERY much 4 starting this thread Beren-I kno there's tons of interest in G.R.R.Martin's fantasies--that's specifically y I posted in Ran's Song of Ice & Fire site so we could get an accifiando like u 2 come over and start this! I've read 1 Martin Sci-Fi, can't even remember the name of it now but it was very good, then read a good Sci-Fi by Greg Bear, Moving Mars--and was meaning 2 start Thrones--but had the mis4tune of reading a very crappy book by Bear called City of Angels. So I gave up interest in both authors--god what a mistake! This website originates in New Mexico where Martin lived 4 a while, he may still live here--but some1 told me he moved--2 where I don't know... Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/29/02 10:56:57 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:10 pm 
Master Pilot

Danlo -

Have you got around to reading A Game of Thrones yet ? "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:30 pm 
Master Pilot

It's on my list! I promise I'll start it right after Hyperion!! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

Post subject: George R.R. Martin
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:35 pm 
Master Pilot

Is there anyone out there unaware of The Blessed George ? If so do yourself a major favour and buy A Game of Thrones, the first book in his series A Song of Ice and Fire.

Do you like realistic Characters, with believable agendas ? How about dense plotlines with twists and turns at every angle ? Do you sometimes wish that the odd Good Guy would get torched ?

A Song of Ice and Fire has all these elements and more. Trust me, once you start reading GRRM, it becomes addictive. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Hyperion - now thats a book thats been on my Wish List for a while. Be interested to hear your opinions on that one. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:52 am 
Pilot

I love these books, can't wait for the next one, I think It'll be called A Feast of Crows and is due out in the Autumn. In some respects his writing reminds me of David Gemmil, but G.R.R.M takes the grittyness factor to a whole new level, such power in his story telling, I've never come across the like before. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:44 pm 
Pilot

It's due in Spring next year <i>"Primary chief bard am I to Elphin,And my original country is the region of the summer stars;Idno and Heinin called me Merddin,At length every king will call me Taliesin" </i><i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:31 pm 
Master Pilot

Cali -

Love the new Sig. Getting into Welsh Myth big time ?

Its a good wait till A Feast For Crows. So everyone has ample time to get the first three books in beforehand. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:15 am 
Pilot

Do you intend to re-read all three books in preparation for AFFC?

I think I'll re-read Storm the month before, that'll be enough to freshen it all up. Though I'd love to recall exactly what the prophecies were of Dany's visit to the House of the Undead. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:00 am 
Master Pilot

Cali -

I think I'll cherry pick which chapters to read in AGOT and ACOK. Then I'll re-read ASOS in full again. Just for the hell of it. Aure entuluva !<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:34 pm 
Master Pilot

I just checked Mr. Martin's website--he still lives in Santa Fe NM--mayb we can invite him 2 Elohimfest along w/SRD!!! I didn't realize he was involved w/Twilight Zone the movie and Beauty and the Beast!! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Danlo old buddy. If you managed to get SRD and GRRM at the same Con, I'd get on a quick plane. Aure entuluva !<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:45 am 
Master Pilot

BC7, Cali(Btw, I hear there are quite a few very good young footballers in Holland right now)... hello. Yea Danlo you have plenty of time to read ASOIAF, but I'd suggest that you read it as soon as you can. Definitely one of the best fantasies out there. What crazy person watches soccer at four in the mornin?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:01 am 
Master Pilot

I just found out that my local used bookstore is selling an autographed hardbound copy of A Game of Thrones for $70, and no they haven't advertized it on ebay, or anywhere else, they don't have a website either--Don's Paperback Book Exchange (1013 San Mateo SE, Albuquerque NM 87108 505-268-0520). Used.
        Paperbacks, SF, new and collector comics.
How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/29/02 10:58:39 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Thats crazy... did someone give it to them? Did you buy it, I would? What crazy person watches soccer at four in the mornin?<i></i>