[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - George's latest updates on Dances With Dragons

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: George's latest updates on Dances With Dragons
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:01 pm 
Master Pilot

DANCING AS FAST AS I CAN

Yes, I know. Back in January, I said I would post another update on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS in April, and it's now July. Thanks to all of you who have emailed me to point this out.

Actually, I have posted a number of updates since January. Just not here. They have been more in the nature of informal progress reports, sandwiched in between my ruminations on the rest of my life, and I've posted them on "Not A Blog." A number of you have read them there. Judging from the number of emails I have been getting of late, however, a larger number of you have not.

It has become plain to me (belatedly) that a lot of visitors come to this website only to check this Update page. They don't care about my home renovations, my collection of miniature knights, my political views, or even my various other literary projects, WILD CARDS and FEVRE DREAM and the like. What they care about is A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, particularly A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, so when they log on here, they check the Update page and leave.

OK, fair enough. January to July is too long, I agree. And updates probably should go on the page called Update as well as on the one called Not A Blog.

One of the recent emails I received said rather plaintively, "Please just tell us that you're still working on the book, that you haven't given up the series." That startled me.

Yes, I am still working on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. I am writing and I am rewriting and I am moving things around. I am also working on the new WILD CARDS books, and some other ICE & FIRE related projects that I can't talk about just yet, and I am going to conventions and doing speaking gigs and trying to keep up with a steady and impossible river of email that streams across my screen relentlessly...all in the midst of major home renovations...but my first and main priority remains A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE and that's going to be true until the series is done.

If you would like a few specifics about some of the sections and characters I've been working on since January, go check out "Not A Blog." Yeah, I talk about other stuff there as well, sorry. You're free to skip over those bits.

I still hope to deliver the book before the end of the year, and maybe sooner than that. But I swear, just as I did with A FEAST FOR CROWS, that the instant the novel is done I will log on and post the news here. You will be first ones to know, aside from Parris and my editors.

And if you don't see a post that says, "It's done," that does not mean I have died or retired or decided to become a playboy crimefighter instead of a writer. All it means is that I am still working on it.

I will try to get back here to update Update before the summer's done.

—George R.R. Martin, July 7, 2006
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:12 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:22 am 
Lady Scryer

well, what do you know? it does list ADWD as a June, 2008 release...

I know that is likely to be an extremely tentative date subject to change, but nonetheless it gives me a bit of hope. :) 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:44 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:20 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Reek?

*aSoS Spoiler*

Wonder if that's the real Reek (the one who's supposed to be dead) or the Bolton Bastard who posed as Reek...

*aSoS Spoiler*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

I was wondering if it would be a Theon chapter? :? Eating rats would go with an ugly captivity in a dungeon. :? And there would be your Bolton connection? :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:09 am 
Master Pilot