Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Speculation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:52 pm 
Pilot

Well, as for the release of A Feast for Crows....
Amazon originally had it listed for april of 2003. HA!
Then, at Borders, the computer told me it would be July 2003. HA!
Now, on various websites, it says June 24, TWO THOUSAND FOUR!!!!
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is far too long to wait!
I'm gonna pull a Kathy Bates on his ass!
WRITE FOR YOUR LIFE, GEORGE!!!!!
Ok, it's not that bad... I'm just on the edge of my seat, that's all. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/26/03 11:28 am
</i>

Post subject: A Feast For Crows
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:20 am 
Lady Scryer

There is a cool Dany chapter posted at the author's website at Dany Chapter Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: A Feast For Crows
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:50 am 
Lady Scryer

Martin is now saying at his website that he hopes to be done by the end of the year. I'm not sure what sort of time lag there will be in when he finishes and the editing/printing process -- but hopefully we will be able to purchase the book within a few months of his finishing.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 11/2/03 11:51 pm
</i>

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:37 pm 
Master Pilot

He has now replaced the Daenerys chapter with the first Arya chapter, showing her arrival in Braavos.

He has read from several others, of course - Tyrion is sent to Illyrio (old friend of Varys...), who wants him to go to Slavers Bay (Tyrion doesn't know Dany is there - suspicions of Varys' Targaryen loyalty are being confirmed...). Jaime rejects the position of Kings Hand, and decides he will never lie in the White Book (written confession about Tyrion?). Sansa begins to act as a mother-figure to the little Lord of the Eyrie (after supporting Littlefinger's story about how Lysa died). I can't remember anything interesting about Cersei's PoV, except she's not as bad as she has seemed at times - just stupid. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:12 pm 
Master Pilot

It has always been my suspicion that Dany, Arya and Tyrion will somehow end up working 2gether! Thanks 4 the update Murrin--now (since I commandered u over here ) let's see if we can't get Brinn and some other from KW 2 post here as well. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:18 pm 
Master Pilot

I've been a member here for months, I just always thought the posting was too slow for discussions.

Just something I realised - I started rereading aGoT recently, and I just read the second Tyrion chapter - I'd forgotten about this - he's fascinated by dragons, and talks about how he would have liked to ride one. Now who is he going to meet in aFfC when he goes to Meereen?

Edit - He's updated his website - The 'About A Feast For Crows' page: www.georgerrmartin.com

"I'm getting closer, though, page by bloody page. Yesterday I finished another chapter, the forty-first (though I do move these chapters around as I write, so it probably won't be the forty-first when FEAST is finally published). It's a Davos chapter, his second in the volume.

I now have 911 manuscript pages in something very close to final draft form. I also have about eight additional chapters in fragmentary form, a couple of them fairly close to completion. But there's more that will be needed after that. I don't believe in saying, "Okay, I've got X number of pages, that's enough, I'll end the book." Each volume is a part of the overall story, but also needs its own beginning, middle, climax, and end to make for a satisfying read. As I have said here before, I am writing as fast as I can, but my first priority is to make the novel as good as it be." <i>Edited by: Murrin at: 1/5/04 6:31 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks for the info Murrin, sorry the postings r so slow I have tried to work on that--if u'd like to become moderator here and help me recuit your more than welcome. Posting is slowing down a great deal on ASOIAF as well. No we're not as busy as KW but we're trying. *****

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:31 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't think I could mod right now - I'm just about to start setting up my own place (as soon as I think of a name for it, and I'm no good at names), so I'll be busy webbying and adminning. I'd be happy to refer people over here from my place once it's up and running, though. <i></i>

Post subject: *SPOILERS APLENTY*
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:09 pm 
Pilot

For those of you who wish to know, and who don't want to spend the time looking for them, I felt like giving a little info on all the spoiler chapters I know of so far, including the new Davos chapter. Watch out - nothing but spoilers from now on, many and some detailed.

Spoilers!!

Spoilers!!

Spoilers!!

Look away if you don't want to know what happens in more than ten aFfC chapters!!

Starting at the beginning. I know the Iron Isle chapters from the prologue (Aeron, Asha, Victarion, Aeron), but not the Dorne chapters (Arys Oakheart, Arianne Martell, Ereo Hotah). I'll try and find out the ones I'm missing.
Aeron - Aeron is offering men to the drowned god when he learns about Balon's death and Euron Crows-eye's arrival. The Drowned God tells Aeron that he must call a Kingsmoot to choose Balon's heir. Aeron does not wish to be king, but intends to support Victarion.
Asha - basically, she hears about the Kingsmoot and decides to make her claim.
Victarion - same as Asha - since he is leader of the Iron Fleet, believes he has best claim.
Aeron - At the Kingsmoot. Victarion, then Asha, arrive. Euron is last. Asha talks of her plans - she says they should give up Deepwood Motte and Moat Cailin in exchange for a large part of the western shore in the North. Euron does not say much about what he has been doing for the last few years - only that he has been to Ashai. He brings a large horn with him, saying it was found in the ruins of Valyria, and that with it, he can control dragons. When Aeron points out there are no dragons, Euron tells them he can find three.
Not sure of the exact events of this chapter, but I believe Euron wins/is winning the Kingsmoot. Through the course of the four chapters (formerly called 'Arms of the Kraken'), we learn about Balon's mistrust of Theon (because of his wardship in Wintefell), the relationship between Victarion, Aeron, and Euron, and some other stuff about the Iron Fleet.

Now to King's Landing, I think:
Cersei - Cersei learns of Tywins death and is taken to his chambers. She commands that Shae's body be removed, and that no-one speak of her presence in her fathers chamber. She visits Jaime, and offers him the position of Hand - he refuses.
Jaime - Jaime has spent the days since Tywin's death standing vigil with his corpse in the Great Sept of Baelor, going without sleep, and praying for his father. A woman with golden hair and green eyes approaches him, and talks about Tywin wanting a knight for a son and a queen for a daughter. At Tywins funeral service, Jaime and Cersei argue. Jaime believes Mace Tyrell should be made Hand and sent to war - Cersei marvels that he sounds so much like their father.
Jaime also makes the decision that he will never lie in the White Book (which suggests he will write the true events of Tyrion's escape). He thinks Tyrion killed Joffrey, but is not entirely sure.
Cersei again - We learn Cersei has thrown Varys into the Black Cells, but has no evidence that he aided Tyrions escape. Cersei approaches Kevan about the Handship - he will become Hand, but only if Cersei leaves and goes back to Casterley Rock. Cersei does not want to leave her last child, but either she leaves of Kevan will leave her to rule alone.

Tyrion 1 - In the first Tyrion chapter, he travels across the sea to Pentos, where he is received by Illyrio Mopatis. Illyrio tells us much about Varys - they grew up together, and worked together for many years. At first, Varys would rob and steal, and Illyrio would sell the things he stole, making a large profit. After a time Varys learned that information was as valuable as gold - that was when he began to train his little mice - young children, taught to read and write, and with their tongues removed. Because they were small thay could hide easily, and overhear conversations, which they would write down and send to Varys. Varys became well known, and eventually Aerys offered him a place in King's Landing as Master of Spies. Illyrio tells Tyrion that the road to Casterley Rock is not west but east - where there are dragons.
Tyrion 2 - In this chapter, Tyrion and Illyrio are crossing the hills of what used to be part of Valyria. We learn a little about Valyria and the history of the places they pass through. On the way, Illyrio tells him of some sellswords who he will meet soon, led by a man called 'Griff' (NB - current theories are Griff = Jon Connington, exiled former Hand, whose sigil was a griffin). They are met by 'Young Griff', Griff's son, on the road. Tyrion is looking forward to seeing live dragons.

The North:
Jon - At the start, Melisandre is partaking in her favourite pastime - Burning. Melisandre burns Mance Rayder as a false king, but when he begins screaming, Jon orders his bowmen to kill him, which does not please Mel. With Mance, she also burns the Horn which Mance had brought with him from the Frostfangs, calling it 'the Horn of Darkness'. Later, all the wildlings who will acknowledge Stannis as King are allowed to pass through the wall - on the way they are given food, and a piece of weirwood to burn, to show they are giving up the old gods. Only a few refuse, such is their fear of the Others. The ones who refuse return North with the last four living giants.
Jon then visits Stannis. on the way in, he is searched, and all his weapons are removed. Inside, Jon finds Stannis with Queen's men and wildlings - Stannis has accepted Rattleshirt and the new Magnar of Thenn into his councils. There is some talk about Stannis' current status. Stannis is angry that it will take a year to rebuild the Nightfort to make his seat. Jon talks with Stannis about various things - he should not ask the Wildlings to kneel, because they look down on kneelers; Stannis refuses to bend. Battle strategy is discussed. Jon suggests Stannis retake Deepwood Motte and give it back to the Glovers, in order to win some of the Northmen to his cause. He also says he should not use wildlings in his host for this, because the northmen dislike wildlings - Stannis likes the strategy, but insists on using wildling fighters as well as his own. At the end, Jon is left alone with Melisandre and Stannis. Stannis tries to offer Jon Winterfell again, but he will not accept. Melisandre warns Jon that he has enemies, she has seen it in her flames - when he says he knows that, she replies 'Not the enemies you see - the ones who smile at you,'

Davos - Davos, hands bound, is brought before the Lord of Sweetsister, one of the Three Sisters. He claims to have been caught in a storm and washed up, but through the chapter we learn that he and many others had left on Salladhor Saan's ships, carrying messages, but at least half the ships were lost in storms, and Salladhor Saan was still angry about the payments he was owed, so he had abandoned Stannis and sailed for the Stepstones - he offered to take Davos with him, but Davos would not abandon his king, so they took him in a boat to the sisters. He had been on his way to White Harbour, to speak Stannis' case before Lord Manderley - Lord Borrell informs him that it is well that he did not arrive - the Manderleys were creating an alliance with the Freys, and about to bend the knee to the Lannisters, sealing the deal with a marriage between Manderley and Frey.
We learn a little about the Sisters - originally pirates, they had to abandon that way of life when they swore allegiance to the Vale. Now, they use their beacons to lure ships onto the rocks, and take their cargoes. Borrell refuses to let Davos send a letter to Stannis about the Manderleys, since he does not want to be associated with any side in this war - apparently there had been trouble in the past, and two of the Sisters had taken part on some of the Blackfyre rebellions, so he had no wish to get involved. Davos tries to convince him of Stannis cause, and of the poor rulership offered by Tommen and Cersei, but Borrell counters with arguments of his own - but then says 'only winter is certain'. He tells Davos a story of the beginning of Robert's rebellion, when the king demanded Eddard's head - he had fled the Vale, and somehow ended up on Sweetsister. There, he somehow helped a fishermans daughter, and Davos is told of rumours that he fathered Jon Snow on her. Borrell tells of how Ned spoke with him, and that was when Ned told him 'only winter is certain'. When Borrell agreed to let him leave, Ned Stark said he had never been there. To this, Davos replies 'No more than I have'.

Starks:
Arya - She is still on the ship, and they have reached Braavos. They see the Titan in the distance, and as they come closer to pass beneath it she thinks on the stories Old Nan used to tell of the Titan. We are told that Arya tried to argue with the captain of the ship to take her to the Wall, but he would not. The other men were either afraid of her, or showered her with gifts, and lal of them insisted she learn their names, and remember them. The captain's son tells her of the temples in Braavos - a Sept to the Seven, a Red Temple, temples to many gods of many places - and the Temple of the Many Faced God. Arya thinks of how her father followed the Old Gods, and they had not helped him, and her mother folowed the Seven, and they hadn't saved her - she decides to find out more about the Many Faced God. The captain's son takes her out in a boat through Braavos, to the Temple. Before he leaves, he reminds her to remember his name, and to spek it back to him.
The Temple doors are half Ebon and half Weirwood, with a large round face in the centre - but there are no handles. She pushes and kicks and shouts at the door, but it does not open until she takes out her coin and says 'Valar Morghulis'. Inside, she sees small shrines around the walls, along with many people lying in alcoves. She sees a man lying next to a pool in the center, and picks up a cup from besides the pool to give him a drink of the water. After, he says 'valar morghulis' and she replies 'valar dohaeris', and he gets up to stagger to an alcove - which is when she notices he is bleeding badly from a stab wound in his stomach, and dying. Two priests then appear, in half-black-half-white robes, and one asks her name. She tells him 'Salty', then 'Squab', then 'Nan', then 'Weasel', but each time he tells her to tell the truth, and finally, when she says 'Arry' he says 'Closer. Now the truth', and she says 'I'm Arya of House Stark in Winterfell'. She tells him she needs to stay there, but he says this is no place for Arya of House Stark. She insists, and he asks if she fears death. She answers no, and he asks her to kiss him, removing his hood to reveal a skull. When she does what he asks, the skull fades, and the face of an old man appears, smiling. He welcomes her to the Temple.
Sansa - Sansa has a scene with little Rob Arryn in the chapter, who she is spending a lot of time with - he wets the bed, and is upset a lot about his mother. In a talk with Littlefinger, he tells Sansa that she must *become* Alayne Stone, in heart and mind, if she is to reamain hidden. The Lords of the Vale arrive, to learn what happened. 'Alayne' gives her story of how Marrillion pushed Lysa. We meet Marrillion again - he has chewed the fingers off of one hand while locked in a Sky Cell. The Lords of the Vale give Littlefinger one year to rule before they decide whether to let him stay - afterward, he tells Sansa that within a year, half will be dead and the rest will be his.

Daenerys 1 - Most of this chapter is a daily audience with petitioners from the city. We learn of the situation in Meereen - many have accepted her, but others still do not. When she tried to use Unsullied as city watch, many were attacked and killed, so she had to bring back the old guards. Some of the petitoners plead for her to reopen the fighting pits, but she refuses. Others bring burnt bones of sheep, because she has offer recompense for any farmer who can provide evidence that on of her dragons has eaten their sheep, but many try to cheat this, bringing bones they have burnt themselves. The last petitioner empties his sack of bones before the throne, which are clearly burnt by her dragons, and she thinks it no different from any other, until Barristan tells her to look more closely. Among the bones is the skull of a human child.
Daenerys 2 - Daenerys has another short audience, then heads to the fighting pits. We are told of how she had not wanted to reopen the pits, but because of the money being lost she was forced to do so, and a portion of all money taken in the pits now goes to herself as a tax. On the way we learn of her largest rivals in Meereen, a family that had been greatest among the slavers before Dany freed the slaves.
In the pits, the people cheer her arrival. They watch a fight involving a popular female fighter and a boar. The female fighter is killed by the boar, and soon after the fight ends, a shadow passes over the pit. Drogon descends in slow circles to the floor of the pit, where he burns both the dead body and living boar, and begins to feed.
End Spoilers!

I'll try and get those Dorne chapters.

[Edit - re-wrote some of the summaries because of major mistakes in sequence of events and details] <i>Edited by: Murrin a at: 1/31/04 6:36 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: *SPOILERS APLENTY*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:30 am 
Master Pilot

Thanks! WOW (r u still murrin?) *****

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:13 pm 
Pilot

Yeah, the name changed - I hasd loads of trouble registering on the asoiaf boards, and had to create a new account - quite stupidly, it was a global account, so now I'm 'Murrin a' everywhere, if I don't want to log out then in again every time...

I've made a few mistakes in those chapters above, btw... I'll try and correct.

An interesting note - the Sansa chapters are called 'Alayne', not 'Sansa'. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

MORE SPOILERS!!!!

One thing about that first Dany chapter that I found interesting was the symbolism in it. The dead gladiator and beastie that Drogon feeds on are a female warrior and a boar. I have always thought that this might be symbolic of Dorne (who has a crown princess) and Cersei (who seems to be symbolized by a boar, like the one who killed Robert) perhaps going to war against each other, and allowing Dany to come in with her dragons and feast upon the ruins...

There is a second Dany chapter, too, that was posted at Martin's website for awhile. In it, she is shown dealing with all sorts of prickly problems in being a ruler. While she is bogged down learning how to rule (and she pretty obviously needs to learn how to delegate), her kids are getting a bit wild. At the end, one of them has eaten a small child. This sets up her meeting with Tyrion, in my eyes. He has had a lifelong fascination with dragons, and has read everything he can get his hands on about them, including their training...while she has been raised to hate the Lannisters, Tyrion as a possible source of knowledge about the dragons might make him extremely valuable to her... ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:10 pm 
Pilot

Just a note - the Deanerys chapters are the other way round, but it doesn't matter.

*SPOILERS*

Tyrion seems most likely for teaching Dany - he knows all about the raising of dragons, and Dany has admitted that she does not know anything. He also knows how to rule a city *hint hint*
I think that Dany will want to kill Tyrion, but will be convinced otherwise and forced to (grudgingly) accept him as an advisor (perhaps the first of her Small Council?). Tyrion *will* live, and he will be with Dany when she goes to Westeros, and he will *still* be around when the battle moves north - otherwise why setup up the Tyrion/Jon friendship?

However, there is the other side to the dragon dilemma - Euron Crows-eye's horn. It seems he wishes to take part of the Iron Fleet to Slaver's Bay, and there steal Dany's dragons...

*END SPOILERS* <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:31 pm 
Lady Scryer

**spoilers**

I have also read AOTK, and I guess my question about it is -- do we actually know if that horn does what Euron claims it does? The horn obviously has great power -- but there is another horn discussed in the series which is supposed to have great power -- the horn which will bring down the Wall -- how do we know he doesn't have that one? How many magical horns of great power are floating around in that world, anyway? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:58 pm 
Pilot

*SPOILERS*

My only answer is: One less than before, thanks to Mel. <i></i>