Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Homages (spoilerssssssss!)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:25 am 
Pilot

I read somewhere that Martin has put all kinds of little homages in ASOIAF to other fantasies. Now that I'm halfway through "Clash of Kings" I've clearly spotted some. Wonder if I've missed any?

--The Frey sigil of Two Towers, which so clearly reminds one of a certain middle book in a famous trilogy.

--Dolorous Ned. Surely he seems like a Marshwiggle from Narnia, don'tcha think?

--Briefly, there was a mention of a sigil called the Black Adder. No doubt part of some cunning plan.

--One of the groups of the Night Watch is led by someone called Halfhand. Whether he has leprosy remains to be seen.

Hmmmmm??????

Zahir

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Homages (spoilerssssssss!)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:39 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, Lord Berec's name, of course.
Dany and her thousands of "kids" is very clearly inspired by an incident in the life of Abraham Lincoln
Cersei was an ancient Greek goddess/nymph who turned men into pigs (and look what killed Robert) -- and from spoilers I've seen from Feast, a boar/pig might be a symbol for her Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Homages (spoilerssssssss!)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:21 am 
Master Pilot

U'll c more: the Fist of the First Men, Fist/Collusus from SRD and he mentioned "the citadel was so huge it resembled a Giant's Drommond come to rest on dry land" when Linda Elane and I saw him read from AFFC at Bubonicon last August! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Oops! Forgot...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:24 pm 
Pilot

There's also the "winged wolf" which was the symbol of Dalarna in "Well of the Unicorn."

And the kitchens of Harrenhal (along with the detestable Weese) certainly bring to mind those of huge and fabled Gormenghast.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Oops! Forgot...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:18 am 
Master Pilot

Also Josua and Elias Lannister (believe from CoK) as ref to Joshua and Elias, the sons of Prester John in William's Sorrow, Memory, and Thorn saga. I don't imagine there's a Simon or Seoman anywhere in the books that I missed?

Dolorous Edd always reminds me of Marvin, the Paranoid Android, from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:27 am 
Pilot

I’d give 100 WGD to whoever finds the unimportant Ser’s name that’s an anagram for J R R Tolkien... “Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?”<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:08 am 
Master Pilot

The Red God--Lord of Light. Roger Zelazny connection? Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

in McKillip's Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy, there is a riddle involving a woman named Arya, who is noted for her friendship with animals...
Also, I think from some Hobb spoilers I've seen elsewhere, she made a Martin tribute in her latest book, naming a dragon Icefyre. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>