Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tuf Voyaging
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:05 am 
Lady Scryer

Tuf Voyaging is a novel woven around a series of short stories George R. R. Martin wove around a character named Haviland Tuf, small time space trader and cat lover. He comes across a centuries old and miles-long seed ship from the all but forgotten Earth Ecological Corps and he changes his career to that of an ecological enginer. The seed ship was once considered a deadly weapon, as it can create, gene-splice, and/or clone uncountable species of plants and animals, for both good and ill. Tuf tries to use his ship and its forgotten technology to solve problems on planets throughout the galaxy, from famines to sea monsters... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Tuf Voyaging
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:06 am 
Lady Scryer

Managed to read the first chapter tonight on my break at work, and was delighted. Wild, creative, and Martin has another wonderfully drawn and vivid character in Tuffy.
And the seed ship rocks! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:46 am 
Lady Scryer

I only have a couple of chapters left and am still completely delighted by this book.
The seedship itself is simply incredible -- I can see why it was thought to be one of the galaxy's ultimate weapons. Miles long, with DNA of uncountable species from more than a thousand worlds -- both macro and micro-biotic...capable of plagues and miracles...
And I still love the character of Tuffy, and his beloved cats. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:42 pm 
Lady Scryer

I finally got to finish this book last night at work and it rocked! Danlo and Mhoram -- you both have to read this one! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:52 am 
Lady Scryer

Martin's work is very enjoyable to me, in that you can read his stuff on one level as an enjoyable straight forward story -- but there is a deeper level where he explores deeper things...

In A Song of Ice and Fire he explores honor, and leadership...

In Fevre Dream, he explores friendship and trust...

And here, in Tuf Voyaging he explores who and/or what is a god? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Just bought Tuf Voyaging--read prologue 2 Plague Star and am about 10 pages in... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:25 pm 
Lady Scryer

I am glad. I think you will like Tuffy and his kitties, especially Dax. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:16 pm 
Master Pilot

Almost done! Dax is way cool! Tuf is very cool but a little 2 pompous at times (must be all those mushrooms!). Interesting to note a number of little literary devices, universecrafting, naming and character developement that would eventually evolve 2 ASOIAF! Tho he shied away, intially, from the introduction of dragons in ASOIAF-he certianly was no stranger 2 them. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/31/03 12:28 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes, maybe it is all of those mushrooms -- not to mention the alcoholic beverages made from mushrooms...

I am glad you are enjoying your read. Going back and reading earlier Martin, such as Tuffy, Fevre Dream, and now Armageddin Rag is really opening my eyes to some of the themes of ASOIAF...it's as if he spent his whole writing career getting ready to tackle Westeros... ******************************************************

<i></i>