Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Martin Recommendations
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:32 am 
Master Pilot

What George R. R. Martin books would you guys recommend to someone who could only read two or three of them? Which are his very best?

The preference would be for stand-alone novels, as opposed to story collections or series (though the first book in a series might work, too).

I'm leaning heavily towards Fevre Dream. After Duchess raved about it in the Horror forum, I went to add it to my ever-growing list and found it was already there, which means I've heard something about it before that intrigued me. Also, heard good things about Dying of the Light. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Martin Recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

Quite a bit of his older stuff is, sadly, out of print in the US, though supposedly readily available overseas. Fevre Dream is an example of this. He has won many awards for his short fiction, so you might want to check out some of his anthologies, such as A Song for Lya which is science fiction short stories, or Quartet, which is four novellas -- one of them a werewolf story.
One thing about Martin is that his books are very character driven. He creates very vivid characters.
Another is that his work can usually be read on more than one level -- one as straight forward adventure story -- but there is always another layer or two bubbling underneath. In Fevre Dream there is one layer of story dealing with the river boats and vampires -- but there is another layer underneath dealing with human rights, slavery, personal integrity, etc. It's always there, but he doesn't shove it down his readers' throats, so you can take it or leave it. I am always glad to take it, but I know many people who read his books as straight-forward stories of adventure, too. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>