[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - ASOS chapters 24 & 25 Bran/Davos

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ASOS chapters 24 & 25 Bran/Davos
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow I haven't gone back 2 ASOS in a long time so I hope I'm on the right chapter. Let's try, at least, 2 get this read fired up again and mayb we can finish b4 AFFC comes out. (By the way: I will be attending Bubonicon in 2 weeks so I will report back here on Martin's latest AFFC reading--and also any answers 2 pertinent questions raised.)

Well if chapter 24 really is Bran--it immediately raises a big question that's been asked in chat here and on the ASOIAF board: Where did Rickon and Osha end up?

Quote:The blue star in the dragon's eye pointed the way north, as Osha told him once. Thinking of Osha made Bran wonder where she was. He pictured her safe in White Harbor with Rickon and Shaggydog, eating eels and fish and hot crab pie with fat Lord Manderly. [That's where I originally thought they went...BUT:] Or maybe they were warming themselves at the Last Hearth before the Greatjon's fires. But Bran's life had turned into endless chilly days on Hodor's back, riding his basket up and down the slopes of the mountians.

minor spoiler alert
In the ongoing debate as to Rickon and Osha's whereabouts many pundits believe that their venturing to either of those locations would place them, and Bran ,in too much danger and that they possibly ended up in the care of Howland Reed, Meera and Jojen's dad, hidden in The Neck. I'm not spoiling too much here as we still don't kno their location by the end of ASOS...

what can I remember off the top of my head?
As you remember Theon couldn't find this brave little troop consisting of Bran, Rickon, Hodor, Meera, Jojen and Osha so in order to save what's left of his pitiful face he kills 2 boys matching the Stark's bodybuilds. The company hides with the dead Lords under Winterfell..and finally emerge after the Bastard of Bolton torches the place (if indeed it was him). Osha and Rickon go off on their own as Jojen, Bran, Hodor and Meera head north in search of Bran's three-eyed crow. Trapped between the Bastard and the Ironmen it is, at first very slow going as Jojen works to refine Bran's greendreams and "warging" talents. They musn't be found, they must hide constantly...

ok onto the chapter
Having, finally, left the tower a good deal of traveling takes place here as they continually walk in rough terrain near the mountains, doubling back on switchbacks and are forced to take much more time on their journey, as opposed to the kingsroad. They encounter no one except for a lone Liddle (loyal to House Stark) in a cave during a rainstorm, who shares his food with them and offers some news.

Quote:"When there was a Stark in Winterfell, a maiden girl could walk the kingsroad in her name-day gown and still go unmolested, and travelers could find fire, bread, and salt at many an inn and holdfast. But the nights are colder now, and doors are closed. There's squids in the wolfswood and flayed men ride the kingsroad asking after strangers."
*The Reeds exchanged a look. "Flayed men?" said Jojen.
*"The Bastard's boys, aye. He was dead, but now he's not. And paying good silver for wolfskins, a man hears, and maybe gold for word of other walking dead." He looked at Bran when he said that, and at Summer stretched out beside him. "As to the Wall," the man went on, "It's not a place I'd be going. The Old Bear took the Watch into the haunted woods, and all that come back was his ravens, with hardly a message between them..."

The Liddle disapears at daybreak and as they resume their walk northward they spot an eagle and Bran imagines flying, as it does (tho I've wondered if it was the wilding-warg). As they breach a saddle between two peaks Bran wheedles a story out of Meera about the "Knight of the Laughing Tree". It is a story Bran has not heard before that involves a crannogman (one of the Reed's people) venturing out in the world to seek magic on the Isle of Faces in God's Eye. On his way home he is accosted by three Freys near the Red Dragon's famous tourney at Harrenhall. It is a wonderful story, which I'll leave you to discuss. But I'll roughly say that this is the tourney in which Jamie becomes a White Sword and is sent to the Red Keep by the Dragon to undermine Tywin. Rheagar (the singing dragon), Lyanna (the shewolf) Ned (the quiet one), his brother (soon to be bethrothed to Catelynn, backthen) and Robert (the stormlord) are all present. Prehaps the last tourney before the last great war of Westeros and the Battle of the Trident begins--so some very interesting historical tidbits here...

(coming soon: Davos)
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/10/03 7:02 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: ASOS chapters 24 & 25 Bran/Davos
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:14 am 
Lady Scryer

Some very interesting historical tidbits indeed...the whole situation set up at that tourney led to all that happens in ASOAIF...
I am, of course, referring to the Robert/ Rhaegar/ Lyanna triangle...something which we never seem to learn enough about, IMHO...
I am very sleepy tonight, and exhausted after posting a chapter in the Mordant's Need group read. I would like to reread this chapter once again, and then make more detailed comments tomorrow. I will also try to post something about Davos... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

Meera's Story
This is one of the most straightforward accountings we get about Harranhall and the tournament there that started well...everything....
it is interesting trying to figure out exactly who is who in that story...
who is the crannogman?
I keep thinking that he might be Howland Reed, as Meera seems to know the story so well, and fro mthe way she keeps asking Bran if he is sure that his father never told him the story...
the she-wolf MUST be Lyanna Stark -- there are no other possible candidates that we know of...
the dragon prince must be Rhaegar...and his beautiful wife Elia of Dorne...
the wild wolf must be Brandon Stark...
the Quiet wolf must be Ned...
the pup of the litter must be Benjen...
who is the maid with the laughing purple eyes whom Brandon asks to dance with Ned (as Ned is too shy to ask)???
and then there is this important bit...Quote:The dragon prince sang a song so sad it made the wolf maid sniffle... Is this when Rhaegar and Lyanna begin to fall in love?
Who is the Knight of the Laughing Tree?
I could see it being either Howland reed OR Lyanna Stark -- they are the two who know which squires were the bullies...

and then there is this:
Quote:Bran: "And the mystery knight should win the tourney, defeating every challenger, and name the wolf maid the queen of love and beauty." "She was," said Meera, "but that is a sadder story."
We already know that Rhaegar won that tourney and crowned Lyanna Stark rather than his own wife...crowned her with blue roses...and that Lyanna clutched dried blue roses in her hands as she died...

There are all sort of other interesting bits, too...lords identified by such names as the red snake (The Red Viper perhaps?), the lord of the griffins, the storm lord, the knight of skulls and kisses...many more...all of the movers and shakers of the kingdom seemed to be there...even the mad king himself, who has already quarrelled with Tywin who did not attend...

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 8/12/03 9:52 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:26 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Davos Chapter

Quote:It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Azhai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.

In this chapter we find good Davos imprisoned in the dungeons at Dragonstone, an island which is the Keep of Stannis, and, of course, Dany's birthplace. We learn that his cell is warm, and that the further down in the dungeons you go, the warmer things get...is Dragonstone of possible volcanic origins then? The very name suggests the possibility, the association of fire with stone...
Anyway, Davos has been imprisoned but has also been healed. He is being well fed and has not been harmed by his captors. he comes to believe that is beind kept alive for a purpose, and that the purpose must be that of being a human sacrifice in the fires...
Mel, the Red Priestess comes for a visit. Davos tells her that he tried to kill her because he feels that she is evil, as he saw her birth the shadow baby. He gets this interesting response:Quote:Shadows only live when given birth by light, and the king's fires burn so low I dare not draw off any more to make another son. it might well kill him...With another man, though...a man whose flames still burn hot and high...if you truly wish to serve your king's cause, come to my chamber one night. I could give you pleasuresuch as you have never known, and with your life fire I could make..." "A horror." Davos retreated from her. " I want no part of you, my lady. Or your god. May the Seven protect me."
Mel then talks at length about her god, and states that she believes that Stannis is Azor Azhai reborn, according to prophecies...
After Mel leaves him in the cell, another prisoner is thrown in. It turns out to be the uncle of Stannis's wife, Ser Florent. He had been serving as the Hnad of King Stannis, and has been imprisoned for treason for trying to negotiate a seperate peace with Tywin...
Quote:...I am the king's man, and I will make no peace without his leave. is Davos's reply.

And there is another cryptic hint of another important bit of the past in this chapter...
Quote:He is always about with the red woman, and...he is not on his right mind. I fear. This talk of a stone dragon...madness, I tell you, sheer madness. Did we learn nothing from Aeron Brightfire, from the nine mages, from the alchemists? Did we learn nothing from Summerhall? No good has ever come from these dreams of dragons...
What happened at Summerhall other than Rhaegar's birth? We hear these constant whispers about something horrible that happened there, but no sure knowledge...

And does anyone else think that that prophecy fits Dany better than Stannis? She was born once on Dragonstone, a possibly volcanic island in the sea (smoke and salt), then born again in a funeral pyre in the midst of the Dothraki Sea (smoke -- but where is the salt?), under the red comet, while awakening dragons out of stone eggs...
And I'm not sure what Stannis has done to fit that prophecy at all...
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 8/12/03 10:36 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow! I hadn't even bothered 2 consider Howland! Very good points about Lyanna--especially as the Knight of the Tree. The maid with the dancing purple eyes has to be the Dayne woman from Starfall.

p.s. thanks SO much for doing Davos--Mel baby gives me the serious creeps! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/13/03 9:59 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:49 am 
Lady Scryer

And with good reason. Doesn't her exchange with Davos make it sound as if she is some sort of sexual vampire? That she somehow sucks out part of her partner's soul to make the shadow baby? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:02 am 
Master Pilot

Reminds me of 2 women I dated long ago--the most beautiful redhead on the face of the earth and the nastiest bitch from hell. (sorry 4 the usage, but in her case it applied! ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image