[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - ASOS chapters 18 & 19 Samwell/Tyrion

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ASOS chapters 18 & 19 Samwell/Tyrion
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:32 am 
Lady Scryer

Quote:The Mother was merciful, all the septons agreed, but the Seven had no power beyond the Wall. This was where the old gods ruled, the nameless gods of the trees and the wolves and the snows.

In chapter 18 we rejoin Sam and the few survivors of the Night watch straggling and struggling through the knee deep snow in an effort to retreat from the disastrous attack by the walking dead and the Others upon the Fist of the First Men. Sam is starting to fail and fade. He is cold and exhausted and no longer thinking clearly, though he can remember the attack, attaching messages to the ravens and releasing them, and the horror of the Brothers battling against the animated dead -- including the long-dead corpse of a giant bear!
Poor Sam remembers how his mother would weep for him, and be scolded by his father and younger brother for crying over a useless coward like him. And he would weep himself now, but is too cold.
At last his body just can't go any further, but two of the Brothers won't leave him alone in the snow to die. Grenn, a friend of Sam and Jon asks Small Paul to carry Sam, and he does so for as long as he can. But in the heavy snow they start to lag behind, until eventually one of Others catches up with them.
Small Paul attempts to battle the Other, but it is too much for him.
Quote:The wights had been slow clumsy things, but the Other was light as snow on the wind. It slid away from Paul's axe, armor rippling, and its crystal sword twisted and spun and slipped between the iron rings of Paul's mail...

Out of desperation, Sam holds out the odd dragon glass dagger that Jon had given him.
Quote:When he opened his eyes, the Other's armor was running down its legs in rivulets as pale blue blood hissed and steamed around the black dragonglass dagger in its throat. It reached down with two bone-white hands to pull out the knife, but where its fingers touched the obsidion they smoked.
Grenn helps Sam up to his feet and they stagger on to the east, hoping to catch up with Old Bear Mormont.

Danlo will tackle the Tyrion chapter soon! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: ASOS chapters 18 & 19 Samwell/Tyrion
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Sorry there were SO many polls in the way I didn't even see this topic! I'll get Tyrion done by the weekend...I truly hope there is still interest in the read? Please respond, thanks... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: interest
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:46 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, I am, but don't know about anyone else? I think Mhoram and Caamora are reading ASOS right now?? <i></i>

Post subject: Tyrion
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:00 pm 
Master Pilot

So the viel is officially off and Lord Tywin might as well b King as any1 who's anyone, large council or small, in the reshaping of The Red Keep gathers b4 him. Uncle Kevan, the Lords Tyrell, Redwyne & Rowan, the dreaded Cersei (who seems 2 only want 2 talk about little Joff's (curiously absent from this gathering, btw) marriage), Varys, Littlefinger, The High Septon even Grand Maester Pycelle.

Too many strange faces, Tyrion thought, too many new players. The game changed while I lay rotting in bed, and no one will tell me the rules.

Kevan and Mace Tryell actually compliment Tyrion for his valor and tricks in the War of the Red Comet as puts on the charms but Tyrell's attention turns north and 2 his wars. Varys tells everyone of Lord Randyll's close victory over Robett Glover at Duskendale--the first significant battle the Lannisters have won against King Robb , but the first battle at which he was not present.
They talk about a proposed alliance from Balon Greyjoy and figure Robb will go 2 Moat Cailin w/Bolton 2 try 2 win back the north. Then they discuss the Eryie and plans 2 keep it loyal 2 the Iron Throne. Yet it seems that Littlefinger, now Lord of Harrenhall, and Tywin have already discussed plans of how Littlefinger will travel there and use his childhood friendship 2 woo and marry Lysa--in order 2 keep young Lord Robert Arryn in check.

With Littlefinger away the council is now w/o a Master of the Purse and suddenly this office falls 2 Tyrion! Tywin rejects the Greyjoy offer saying Balon has already done what they (the Iron Throne) wants by occupying Robb. But Tyrion also remembers the letters Tywin has written in vague regards 2 this matter (spoiler: which will begin some mysterious movements some 400 pages from now).

Then they talk of the marriage plans which include 300 Dornishmen on their way at Tyrion's request, upsetting Tyrell w/the prospect of them coming thought his lands, how Prince Doran comes to claim his place on the council and exact justice for the murder of his sister Elia and her children. Sansa still thinks she will wed Willas Tyrell, the hier 2 Highgarden, that a Dornish prince named the Red Viper crippled as youth. There will b 2 weddings, actually, remember, not only will Joffery wed Margery Tyrell but Joff's sister, princess Myrcella is engaged 2 prince Trystanye of Dorne.

When Tywin, Tyrion and Cersie are relatively alone, later, Tywin reveals that Littlefinger has discovered the Tyrell's plan to marry Sansa 2 Willas...for her claim 2 Winterfell. Tywin totally freaks Cersie out by suggesting SHE marry Willas. "I am the Queen-Regent of the Realm and you'll put me out as a broodmare?" (gotta love it) And then Tywin really drops the hammer down (it is clear as mud who's really in charge of the Kingdom) by declaring that Tyrion will be married to Sansa so her claim will be the Lannisters and Tyrion will control Winterfell if the King in the North dies.

So many other things go on in this chapter, as well, Vary's talks about a huge kraken, wildings at the Wall, a threeheaded dragon being born at Quarth and Tyrosh and Lys at war. Westeros in general, Stanis' fate. Word of Robb's marriage 2 Lady Jeynne Westerling and the rift it can drive between House's Frey and Stark...on and on...I kno I left tons out: land grants, details upon details..this is a long chapther and all sorts of intricate detail abound!

So here is this little synopsis finally...have at it! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/31/03 3:24:40 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Tyrion
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:43 am 
Lady Scryer

I love how the chapter begins with Tywin wearing that chain of golden hands, that Tyrion feels he stole from his dying neck. We will see that chain again, my friends! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: Re: Tyrion
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:39 pm 
Master Pilot

Samwell made an unwitting yet very important discovery. There are ways to fight the Others. <i></i>

Post subject: Samwell
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:02 pm 
Pilot

Its a cool thing that the ultimate underdog is one of the few Nightwatch to survive. Samwell is a very cool character, imo, and I have loads of hope for him.

Probably means he'll be eaten alive at some point.... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Samwell
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:46 pm 
Master Pilot

Tyrion really has quite a time, stuck now with his father as well as his sister in town. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:35 am 
Lady Scryer

Poor Tyrion -- talk about belonging to a family from hell:"> .

And does anyone else think that there might be a connection somehow between dragonglass and dragons? Since obsidian comes from volcanoes, there is a firelink withboth. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Excellent observation! Will probably be helpful later on in the series, possibly during a confrontation betweent he dragons and Others? The Others don't even like fire-arrows, wait until they meet Dany! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image