Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Storm of Swords chpts. 4 & 5: Tyrion/Davos
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:05 pm 
Lady Scryer

Chapter four is a Tyrion chapter, and I am leaving it for Danlo, as he really likes this character!
The following chapter is a Davos chapter. I enjoy Davos. He has is one of the few clear cut "good guys" in the story...
When we join him Davos is on a little islet out in the Bay, feverish, hungry, thirsty, possibly beginning to die from exposure...and he sees a sail out in the bay...
He is deeply in grief for the sons he lost in the battle at King's Landing...
He is deeply regretting not doing anything to prevent Mel, the Red Witch from burning the holy trees and desecrating his gods...
He is also deeply regretting his part in allowing Mel to commit murder with her shadow baby, though in truth, he only was the oarsman, and had no idea of what she had been planning on doing...
And he regrets the death of the maester...
He remembers the battle, remembers swimming underwater to try to escape the flames, the ships, the chain, the death. The last thing he can remember is becoming lost underwater and his lungs beginning to fill with water. And suddenly when he awakened he was on the islet, alive and in grief...
He prays to the Mother, and thinks that he hears her reply...
Somehow he finds the strength to climb up to the top of his little rocky spire and call out for help from the passing ship...and it turns out to be a ship in the sevice of Stannis. Davos believes that the Mother has allowed him to live because she has a Task for him...
Now some questions. DID Davos actually drown and die during the battle? We have already met one character (Patchface, the prophetic jester -- his strange mumblings contain a LOT more than just nonsense, he's predicting some things that will happen later in ASOS and maybe AFFC) who has possibly been brought back from a drowning death by someone or something. And the dead are definately brought back in the North by the Others (thought they seem to be zombies rather than functional people). The Ironborn follow the Drowned God...so some odd things do seem to be happening in this world with dead people and powers not explained yet...
And if one of the gods/powers DID bring back Davos, then why??
Why Davos? What could be so important for one smuggler turned knight to accomplish?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/15/03 6:56:41 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: A Storm of Swords chpts. 4&5 Tyrion-Davos
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:40 am 
Master Pilot

Davos is a "common sense" guy. A smuggler by origin, newly raised, not fitting in with the heriditary nobility, not a flatterer. He is found scarred by his carrying Mellisandre to Storm's End, and by the battle in front of King's Landing and the loss of his sons. I feared we saw the last of him.

Was he saved by his gods? I hadn't thought about that angle. Perhaps. If Mellisandre has power from her god, then perhaps the Seven have power too and helped out Davos. He is more religious than most of the noble characters. I suppose he would then be the opponent of Mel for Stannis' soul.

(While typing this about Mel E.L.O.s' Strange Magic came on. ) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:39 am 
Master Pilot

Quote:Then the man stepped into the candlelight, got a good look at the dwarf's pale face, and chortled. "Cut yourself shaving, did you?"

I love Bronn, but I love Tryion more! 4 the 1st time since mayb Covenant we have a, kinda, shunned, isolated , handicaped and deformed (almost) anti-hero 2 root 4. I say almost but Tyrion really isn't an anti-hero at all, so far he has almost saved every1's butt including Cersei's, Sansa, his niece and nephew--even stinkin lil Joeffery. He has kept Catelyn 2gether, saved the Red Keep and put that dammed Maester Pycelle in his rightful place and even ensures Jamie's safety 2 some degree. All Tyrion's plans, well almost all his plans, have fallen in2 place. And they make sense.

Will he, does he get any real credit 4 it? I think not! Will the smallfolk love him 4 it? I think not! Will his father give him any credit? Well yes and no, un42nately the no comes back 2 Tyrion 10fold by Tywin claiming credit 4 turning "The Battle of the Red Comet", by being denied Casterly Rock, even tho he is the rightful heir, and then having the "new" Hand, daddy, shove an absolutely awful accusation in his face that he murdered his mother simply by being born... Does Cersei realize anything he's done 4 her? I think not! Especially if her maester has attempted 2 almost sedate him 2 death and coaxing Ser Mandon Moore in2 his attempted murderer!

What is it Tyrion says 2 Varys 100 pages, or so, later after Varys insinuates any possible betrayal by himself ? "Welcome to the family.." oh so tru...w/what Cersei and daddy have done or r doing 2 him Jamie looks like a saint in comparision. Look at what Cersei may have attempted 2 do 2 him! Well he does send her maester away, and lives, and he barely avoids being killed by Mandon Moore, and lives, tho his face is almost ripped in half in the process... So in this chapt. we have the discredited real hero and saviour of the Red Keep, and almost all the immediate House Lannister, ressurected...yet all he has left is Shae..who daddy, in a roundabout way, threatens 2 hang, Bronn, Pod and his quilt 4 poor Alayaya who is nearly beaten 2 death. Heck even all his wildlings have either been bought off or driven away...

I seriously doubt, however, that this is the last we've seen of the very tuff, wily, smart and tricksy Tyion Lannister... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/17/03 5:35:56 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Tyrion is portrayed like Claudius was in I Claudius. The despised freak who is actually nobler and smarter than his good looking relatives. It's no surprise that his father gives him the reception that he does. He hates him for the loss of his wife. He'll never get respect from him. <i></i>

Post subject: lord tywin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:12 am 
Lady Scryer

Wouldn't you like to give him a good whack or two for the way he treats his poor son? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: lord tywin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:34 am 
Pilot

I like Tyrion too, but this here person [me] seems amazed at how folks who love him seem in total denial of his darkest hour: Tysha. Sure, they told him she was a whore and he felt betrayed in turn, and he watched the garrison as they raped her...okay...but then HE got in on it! And then later on he says he loved her?! Hold up-- hold up people!

I'm sorry, but that had to be Tyrion's worst act. He said "My **** betrayed me." I mean, there's one thing being aroused, but ACTING on it? And what would his father do if he refused to rape her, huh? Kill him? Beat him up? Probably neither. Cut him from the will? Ha! Tyrion, in my eyes, has some explaining to do...or at least some closure. I guess I’m not talking about the chapter at all and just the Imp in general... Oh well, I got incensed...*mutters* “Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?”<i>Edited by: William Smit IV  at: 3/17/03 5:41:33 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Tyrion talks a good game about being the dwarf, surviving, etc., but when it comes down to it, he hates himself nearly as much as anybody else. His act against Tysha was an act against himself, and he knows it. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Hmmm. I'n not sure that the question would be What would Tywin do to Tyrion if he had not participated, but What would Tywin do to poor Tysha?
And what DID Tywin do to poor Tysha? I can't recall if the books ever say?? What happened to the poor girl after he ordered her gang raped by his garrison of soldiers?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/1/03 7:23:25 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:58 pm 
Pilot

Had thought of that but forgot, Malfi... Hadn't thought of that, though, Sylvanus. He [Tyrion] is quite self-deprecating, if one picks up on it. I'm not mad at him for it or anything really, but I just sort of don't understand his feelings on that subject completely. He never said he did it to "protect her", but I don't doubt Tywin's capabilities of threatening her life. If you ask me, Tywin, Cersei, and Joff are all actually Ravers... “Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?”<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:25 am 
Master Pilot

(William (LF) I can't remember waht happened xactly either--will have 2 research. Yes we all have our dark side but Tryion had a hell of a lot going against him, and who knos what the 'ravers' did 2 him growing up. When Tyrell accuses him of killing his mother it is indicated that this wasn't the 1st time he had done such a thing. Then the only member of his family he has love 4 and has some trust in, Jamie, sets him up w/the whore. He truly loved her, even had a song for her, I kno he regrets it and prolly has some neg. Lannister side he's fighting against, but let's face it the whole series of events may have driven him mad.

Every1 prob. said 2 him that, xcept by arranged marriage no woman in the 7 would want him. And then he precieves her being 1 of the few in the 7 who does...and then it all blows up in his face...the butt of a very bad joke. Mayb he should have tryed 2 kill his whole family (not a bad idea...) but diverted that energy in a strange away. As if 2 say...look I'm a real human being...u've broken me, but I can love and copulate, just like u. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/19/03 4:39:59 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:19 am 
Master Pilot

Tyrion at least has some remorse over what he has done. Which puts him above his father and sister.

He starts out with 2 strikes, his looks and he's a Lannister. He's about as clever as the best, but he's not as ruthless as say Littlefinger. But since he is swimming with sharks he has to act like one to survive. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:53 am 
Lady Scryer

I find myself being able to be more sympathetic with someone like Tyrion or Sandor, who have had emotionally tortured childhoods than people like Gregor or Lord Tarly, who just seem to be plain mean. It doesn't excuse their actions, but it does seem to make them a little more human. Doesn't Sandor seem to be a more sympathetic character then Gregor, even though he does bad things, too? And Tyrion is a lot more human in my eyes than Cersei or Joff.
Joff seems to be all the argument anyone would ever need against inbreeding in humans. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/1/03 7:24:21 pm
</i>

Post subject: Tyrion/Davos
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:11 am 
Pilot

When reading CLASH OF KINGS some one asked me why I was upset. This was because one of my fave characters--Davos--I thought dead. And essentially killed by another favorite--Tyrion!

So many thrills at the Onion Knight's survival! The idea of him being raised from the dead is intriguing. Hmmmm...since dragons are increasing the magic in the world, maybe prayers to the gods are working better? Just a thought. Either way, Stannis would be wise to listen and trust to him.

Tyrion, it seems to me, has indeed learned to be a shark among other sharks. Yet he's also curiously naive, or so it seems to be. The way he dotes on Shae, for instance.

As for Joffry, at least a good chunk of the blame for his appalling nature goes to Robert and Cersi, imo. They both come across as terrible parents, albeit in different ways. <i></i>

Post subject: Sandor
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:05 pm 
Pilot

I am at this part in the book (a little past it) and reading these threads, something occurred to me.

Does it seem to you that the Hound is in love with Sansa? Granted, he doesn't really treat her gently(to say the least), but he seems to go out of his way to explain things to her and doesn't he even try to kiss her and "rescue" her? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Sandor
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:03 pm 
Master Pilot

very good point caam!! I am sure the Hound is in love with Sansa... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>