Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tyrion Lannister
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:14 am 
Pilot

Okay, I've just finished "Game of Thrones" and I must say one of my fave characters so far is Tyrion Lannister, aka The Imp.

Duchess, he does indeed remind me of Miles, albeit without the loving parents. In fact, everything I've seen so far about the Lannisters shows them pretty incapable of nurturing a resource like Tyrion. My bet is he's the least guilty of that clan--and will betray them in the end. Nor will I mourn that even a tiny bit. Personally, I hope he gets to gut his father with a dull spoon!

You know who else he reminds me of? Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany, in "The Lion In Winter."

One notion that came to mind during the battle--while his wildmen began chanting "Halfman! Halfman! Halfman!"--was this could be a personal sigil for the Imp. Half a man, gold on red. What do you think? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Tyrion Lannister
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:37 am 
Master Pilot

He is the anti-Richard the 3rd! He is 1 smart cookie! And u'll love what he does in Clash! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Tyrion Lannister
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:58 am 
Lady Scryer

And wait until what he does near the end of Storm!

I really like Tyrion. He is one of my three favorite characters in the series. He was my favorite, but Dany does a lot of growing up and does some pretty wonderful things in Storm, so she's gotten a bit ahead of him. My other favorite would be Jon. He has the nobility of Ned and Robb, but not the naivete.

As I told you, Zahir, to me Tyrion is the anti-Miles Vorkosigan. He's this brilliant, witty man, a born leader, in this twisted up little body. But unlike Miles, who has two very loving and supportive parents, Tyrion has no one except for his brother Jaime. If Jaime has one redeeming quality to me, it's the great love between he and Tyrion...you know there has to be something good about Jaime somewhere buried deep down for him to be the only one in the family to love the Imp, and whom the Imp loves. And the way Cersei treats Tyrion makes me hate her even more...not that it takes much for me to hate that particular character!

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: More About Tyrion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:41 pm 
Pilot

I agree that Tyrion is a great character, and easily one of the most dangerous. He's got precious little to lose really, and can be utterly unpredictable. Sooner or later, his family is gonna push him too far.

An odd thought--can you imagine how different things might have been if circumstances had let Eddard Stark somehow get to know Tyrion well, even respect and befriend him? Not that that's likely--Ned was a good man, but terribly narrow-minded. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: More About Tyrion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm 
Lady Scryer

Actually, in Storm you will get to meet one of the coolest characters in the series -- one of the Princes of Dorne, lovingly known as the Red Viper. And guess what? He takes to Tyrion right away and treats him with great respect. And they have a bunch of witty, fuuny repartee. I've come to read carefully any encounters Tyrion has with new characters. I have found that I like the ones who respect him better than the ones who only see the twisted little body -- it's become a kind of litmus test for me, if that makes any sense.
a spoiler::
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
I can't wait until Tyrion and Dany meet up in a Feast for Crows!! he has that whole fascination with dragons thing going on, and I'm looking forward to seeing how SHE views him -- I think it will be the great Dany test for me... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: More About the Imp
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:37 pm 
Pilot

I just read an interview with Martin, noting how England's Wars of the Roses kinda inspired the story of ASOIAF. Amused me because the Lanisters had immediately reminded me of the Woodvilles, and Tyrion of Richard III (only not a psychopath).

(Of course I feel compelled to note the *real* Richard III was *not* a psychopath, nor a hunchback. He had no withered arm nor club foot, and certainly did not do half the things Shakespeare--and official Tudor history--said he did. Neither was he some kind of puritan saint. The man *was* a medeviel warlord, who usurped the throne, after all! Okay, unclicking SOAPBOX icon now )

Anyway, Tyrion is one of my fave characters as well--along with Jon and Arya. From my knowledge of history, I know young kings are nearly always disasters--and Joffrey certainly fits the bill. I'm hoping he finds himself alone against several direwolves, and that on the other side he'll find Lady waiting for him!

Interestingly, I've already come up with several scenarios of what might happen to Tyrion--but so far Martin has surprised me, so I'll wait. Heh heh heh.

Paranthetically, the only dwarf I've ever known was very, very manipulative and greedy. Just thought I'd share (not making a comment about all Little People, but its an interesting detail--the same could be said about someone else I knew born with withered legs. Seemed to look at other people as objects only). <i></i>

Post subject: Re: More About the Imp
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Warning: do not try 2 2nd guess Martin...he will blow u away everytime u do...guaranteed! (U kno something...I've never been able 2 figure out how 2 read those spoilers, even tho I really don't want 2) p.s. Zahir I heard about that interview on ASOIAF 4 months ago, ergo: King Rick 3! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Tyrion
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:02 am 
Pilot

So far, Tyrion is my favorite character as are Jon Snow and Dany. I am so enjoying these books. I'm almost finished with Clash of Kings. <i></i>