[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - ASOS chapters 14 & 15 Catelyn and Jon

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ASOS chapters 14 & 15 Catelyn and Jon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:53 pm 
Master Pilot

On the count of 3 let's all blame Theon (the butthead) Greyjoy 4 the beginning of the demise of The North! 1, 2...

Well let me clarify that a little bit: I'm not 2 worried about the Ironmen running amok above the Neck, and who knos what the heck happened in Winterfell, bastard! (remind me not 2 bogart the other bastard, Jon's, pov chapts in the future) Prehaps Theon's nastiest stroke is having 1/2 of Westeros believing that Bran and Rickon r dead. Whatever Robb did at The Crag might have been possibly "ironed" ( ) out, in time, HOWEVER simultaneous impetuous Stark decision-making is probably NOT a good idea...

2 some degree we can understand Catelyn's motives (Arya & Sansa) 4 freeing The Kingslayer but what it can do 2 Riverrun and the bannermen of The North and Trident is another thing. Especially how it affected Rickard Karstark (who lost 2 of his sons in the Whispering Woods 2 Jamie), among others, and it far-reaching repercussions. In the beginning of this chapter Catelyn sees a lesser-Frey and his men return 2 Riverrun from the field only 2 trample House Stark's direwolf sigil and ride off.

Later we learn that Robb has made his own impetous decision by marrying his nurse at The Crag the lovely Jeyne Westerling, who's father remains in the dungeons of Riverrun and may still claim allegience 2 House Lannister--hence the Iron Throne. So coupled w/Jamie's release and Robb's negation of his wedding contract w/House Frey all alliances w/in the Kingdom of the North r on the verge of seriously fraying.

As we leave the chapter Robb and Bryden lay in2 Edmure 4 his overly agressive river campaign, against orders. Robb's plan was 2 have some Lannister horse split 2 the west on the Golden Road, drive that force south w/everything they had and sue 4 peace. Now Robb is ripped up everywhere and his only hope of trying 2 recover the North lies through the Twin Towers of the Frey's. Will Catelyn have 2 marry Walder 2 redeem the Stark name?

Jon will b coming soon...
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/28/03 8:34:03 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: ASOS chapters 14 & 15 Catelyn and Jon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:25 am 
Lady Scryer

I love the way the chapter opens, with Cat knowing that her beloved (and she believes only living) son has returned because the dogs are going mad barking, and she knows that Gray Wind is back. I love the direwolves, and the dragons. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: ASOS chapters 14 & 15 Catelyn and Jon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have been contemplating what to say about this Lady Cat chapter that doesn't involve heavy amounts of spoilage, and can't. But I will say that this is an EXTREMELY important set-up chapter for some important events later on in the book. Please read carefully and pay very close attention to it! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: Jon
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:00 am 
Master Pilot

Sorry guys! You kno I tryed 2 do Catelyn fast so that the "read" would pick up some speed--and now, 4 some reason, I've procastinated so long on doing Jon that I came pretty close 2 grinding this thing 2 a halt. Knowing y'all I could have just written boo and u would have started posting. I have been rereading this chapter and wanted 2 do it justice. If u sit back and just let it carry u away the chapter's sheer scope is so remarkable, sweeping and huge it can b a little tuff 2 figure out where 2 begin...

How 2 describe it? hmmm... Well...w/all the epic manuvering occuring around Westeros in general at this point in the story this has got 2 b the most massive, "in ur face", awe-inspiring assemblage off wild and ferocious characters and beasts ever recorded. There really seems 2 b no end 2 this incredibly vast horde of ice-blown wildings rumbling down the Milkwater, though the Fist of the Firstmen, on their way 2 the Wall. Endless herds of gaint-ridden mammoths, that even make Ghost stand back, Hornfoot men, Sixskin's Kodiak bear and entourague, cannibals, cavedwellers...u name it. Combined w/ Mance's hardcores that we r starting 2 kno and love: Rattleshirt, The Weeper, Harma, Mangar of Thenn, Tormund...it just goes on and on...and then, of course there's Ygritte...

Jon is really running the gauntlet that Qhorin threw down 4 him now...it really is time 2 play traitor. He has no other choice if he wishes 2 survive-catching Jon in a lie at what's left of the Fist, Mance is ready 2 throw Jon 2 the dogs and he is now @ the point where he must save face and bed Ygritte. All this goes against his very nature: his vows and Stark honor. He is left no option but 2 help Mance's army go over the Wall and prehaps kill his own kind 2 avoid his own, immanent, death... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/3/03 3:00:02 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Jon
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:04 am 
Lady Scryer

He really does face quite an ethical dilema in this chapter. He is caught between his Stark honor, his vow to follow his officers (who told him to stay alive and report back), his vow of celibacy, etc. etc. Will he be able to thread the needle of these conflicting demands and still be able to live with himself? Not to mention just plain live???? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 5/2/03 5:31:45 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:13 am 
Master Pilot

Jon learns about the Wildings and their ways and that they are not quite what they are thought of down south. He has to fit in, yet not forget who he is. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

So many peopel read martin as a straight forward adventure story -- and it is a pretty exciting one!! But there's also so much going on just beneath the surface.
Take these two chapters. They begin the exploration of the famous Stark honor in the characters of the two oldest of the Stark pack -- Robb and Jon. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image