Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Encouragement!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:21 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, I was @ Borders the other day, and was very tempted to buy A Game of Thrones (I think that's the first one?) but when I looked at it, I said, 'This reminds me of the Wheel of Time'. Somebody! Please tell me it's a million times better, and different, from WoT. Further up, and further in! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Encouragement!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

Martin and Jordan are very different. The thing with Martin is, that not everyone can deal with the darkness in his books, or his fast paced "choppy" writing style. He changes the point of view between many different characters with each change in chapter, and that puts some people off, too.
I don't think I've made any secret of the fact that I adore his writing, BUT I also know that his writing is not for everybody. One thing that I like about Martin is that his work is very character driven. And that those characters are, for the most part neither wholly good or wholly bad, but many different shades of gray. Another thing is that, like Donaldson, not a word is wasted, and everything relates to everything else at one point or another.
I will give you the same advice I've given others -- start with Game of Thrones. Don'y buy the others unless you like it. That way you will be out a lot less money if you end up not liking Martin's style or darkness. If you do like it, you can pick up the others later. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:11 pm 
Master Pilot

There are similarities like book length, POV chapters, and such, but thematically, I'd say Jordan and Martin are much different. Better? Well, I used to be a big fan of Jordan's until book 7, but now he just pisses me off. I'm too far in now to quit, but... :"> If Jordan would've finished the series in 5 books, It'd be a tough call, but as it is, I'd say Martin, especially if you're more a pessimist than an optimist.

IMHO, Neither has anything on SRD or Gene Wolf, tho :duck

I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:48 pm 
Pilot

GET GAME OF THRONES. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!!!! It was recommended to me by danlo and Duchess and I am enjoying every minute of it. Everyone has told me that Martin is dark, but I don't see that. Maybe I haven't read enough of his books. I'm almost done with GoT and already bought the next book. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:30 am 
Master Pilot

It's very real! Pulls u in2 the story...Martin ranks right up there w/SRD and 2 some xtent: David Zindell (but then again I'm prejudiced ) Jordan doesn't hold a candle 2 it... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/27/03 10:07:15 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:46 pm 
Master Pilot

I can understand your reluctance if you've been burned by the Wheel of Time. Like Syl, I'm reading WoT because I've gone too far to go back. Martin doesn't run on like Jordan does about insignificant events. Also, unlike Jordan, he has an end planned for this series at a max. of 6 books.

For my part, I'm glad that Dutchess & Danlo talked me into reading the series. All I can say is try it yourself, and see for yourself . <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Hell, I'll give it a go! :tolache Might not get to Border's for a couple o'weeks.. Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:20 pm 
Master Pilot

U won't b disappointed!
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:11 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm loving every page of it! (about pg. 300?) and so far I really like the character Ned Stark...though I heard that major characters get killed off! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:10 pm 
Master Pilot

Don't listen 2 anything u hear! That's y I avoid most of the ASOIAF board and stick 2 Other Authors and Misc...There's a GoT topic around here somewhere, right? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:21 am 
Lady Scryer

I would second that --- stay out of the Martin forums at ASOIAF until you're done with all three books! And even then spoilers make it into the general and misc. forums sometimes, so be careful there, too! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:27 pm 
Master Pilot

I'll try! Further up, and further in! <i></i>