[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - ASOS chapters 12 & 13 -- Tyrion and Arya

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ASOS chapters 12 & 13 -- Tyrion and Arya
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:30 am 
Lady Scryer

I couldn't stand waiting for more discussion, so thought I would start up the next two chapters, but I only have time for one tonight -- maybe someone else could take up the Arya chapter? If not I will tackle it later this week.

Chapter 12 is a Tyrion chapter. When it opens Tyrion has gotten up from his bed and gone to the rooms of Varys, the eunuch. Varys, of course, always knows everything that is going on in King's Landing!
Tyrion questions him as to what is going on in the political situation, as well as in his family. He learns that his lovely sister, Cersei has been rather busy while Tyrion was down with his injury. She stripped Ser Boros of his white cloak and has had a flirtation with one of the Kettleblack brothers, Ser Osmund , in order to have the brothers spy on Tyrion . Also, he learns that a man he despises, Grand Maester Pycelle, has been returned to the Small Council.
Tyrion arranges with Varys to have Shae, his (Tyrion's) mistress brought to Varys's rooms so thta he can have a liason with her.
At this liason Shae expresses the wish to attend the upcoming royal nuptuals, and doesn't seem to understand (or want to understand) that this will be dangerous for her. in fact, she doesn't seem to understand the danger that she is in from Lord Tywin's threats to Tyrion , that he will hang any whore he catches his son with. After Tyrion denies her, he thinks that she has raised an emotional wall as cold and impressive as THE Wall inthe North.
As the chapter ends, Tyrion returns to his rooms, feeling very lonely. He orders his squire, Podrick, to find the former mercenary, now knight , Bronn. When Bronn arrives, Tyrion orders him to find the singer named Simon Silver Tongue. He is the one who has filled Shae's mind with thoughts of the royal wedding...

One neat thing is this chapter is the word Rhoynish. Roynish is a word that sticks in my mind from Donaldson's writing. I can't think of it, or a sound-alike being used except by these two authors.
Also, Shae refers to Tyrion as being a giant many times. This seems to be a bit of symbolism that Martin uses often with this character. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: ASOS chapters 12 & 13 -- Tyrion and Arya
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

Oh, at one point Tyrion also thinks to himself
Quote:He would have donned his chain of golden hands as well, if his father hadn't stolen it while he lay dying.
That chain WILL come up again later in the book. I love Martin's writing -- everything ties in with everything...
And what do you think of Tyrion's line
Quote:Alas, I am quite dragonless. Hint for the future or red herring? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:26 pm 
Master Pilot

I think Varys is a very, very, very strange boy... on the poll I picked that he works 4 himself. I think Varys is a "voyeur-warg" and I'm not sure how 2 xplain that term...I think Varys has the power 2 have tru sex in his mind as long as he's watching. I think he really gets off on everything he's doing. Perhaps being a spider is his life...(does that mean I think he was watching Tyrion and Shea, yes) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/23/03 4:28:30 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:19 am 
Lady Scryer

I had not thought of that, but it does make a lot of sense! he certainly doens't seem to be getting any material wealth, judging by his bare, spare rooms. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:37 pm 
Pilot

That is an extremely interesting theory. Hmmmmmmm... "GOD created Man in his own image. Man, being a gentleman, returned the courtesy." -Voltaire<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

If no one wants to tackle Arya I will do her chapter when I get home from work tonight!
Of course, that will be in the middle of the night, so check here again in the morning! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: the best laid plans...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I'm here at work and the person on the next shift just called in so I might be doing an afternoon-midnight double. When I get home I get to pay the bills, go grocery shopping, run about 4-5 errands, do several loads of laundry, change the cat boxes, and take the kids to a wrestling tournament that'll last until 10-12 tomorrow night. Then Saturday I get to take them both to travel soccer games.
So if I do the Arya chapter, everyone might have to wait a day or so.
but if no one else geta to it, I will still do it!! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: the best laid plans...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:12 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, it's 4AM here,and I just got home, so I sure hope that this makes sense!!

Arya's chapter!
When we rejoin Arya and her comapnions Gendry and Hotpie, they are grubbing for vegetables in a dead man's garden. they are hungry and somewhat discouraged. While digging for their carrots they hear approaching singing. It turns out to be three men who warn AryaQuote:"Child," said the singer, "put up that sword, and we'll take you to a safe place and get some food in that belly. there are wolves in these parts, and lions, and worse things..." the three men offer to take the three kids to a nearby inn. Lem, one of the men, tells them Quote:"if there were wolves hereabouts, w'd know it...or lions. These are our woods."
When they get to the Inn, it turns out to be a familiar place, with a familiar boat tied out at the dock.
While Arya and the three men argue over Arya's horses (they want to take the horses and give Arya an IOU for them whereas she wants the boat so she can get to Riverrun), some soldiers come riding up.
One of the soldiers is known to Arya from Winterfell, harwin, one of Ned Stark's men.Quote:The tears came, and she found herself weeping like a baby, just like some stupid little girl. "Harwin, it's me!"
After a moment of confusion harwin recognizes her Quote:"The hand's daughter." Harwin went to one knee before her. "Arya Stark, of Winterfell." Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image