[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - A Storm of Swords Chapts 3 & 4: Catelyn/Arya

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Storm of Swords Chapts 3 & 4: Catelyn/Arya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:11 am 
Master Pilot

Xpect the next read topic this Saturday...yes they r going 2 come fairly fast and furious, as I am beginning 2 fly through the book, We need Isengard and Damelon 2 really start contributing! In fact we need every1, even u guys lurking in the wings 2 contribute. I may even do this every 5 or 4 days so mark ur calendars, or fasten ur safety belts...whatever u need 2 do!

Okay: I'm just going 2 open up these 2 very short chapters very quickly: 1. Catelyn is found out and sequestered w/her dying father, Lord Hoster Tully and learns that Lord Tully must make amends w/her sister Lysa b4 he can pass from life. She also learns that Robb is wounded storming the Crag. Edmure returns and tells her of the outcome of the Battle of the Red Comet: of Stannis' defeat, Tywin's involement and Highgarden's allaince thus solidifiying the Lannister hold of the Red Keep and much of the south. Edmure buts an APB out on Jamie and Brienne.

2.) Ayra, Gendy and Hot Pie on the lam from Harrenhal making 4 the Trident. Arya has a "wolfdream"...take it away y'all: And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/16/03 5:17:27 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: A Storm of Swords Chapts 3 & 4: Catelyn/Arya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

Think I'll talk about the Cat chapter first...

How much more can one person take? Is the thought the rips through my mind while reading this chapter. First she loses her beloved husband. Then she thinks she has lost her two little sons. Her father is slowly dying in great pain. Now she learns her eldest child has been hurt, and no one will tell her any details. lastly, she learns that Tyrion, too, whom she hoped and trusted in, has also been hurt, which may very well prevent the regaining of her two daughters.

Now about Lord Tully, Lyssa, and Tansy...Littlefinger seems to honestly believe that he has bedded Cat, which is clearly something that is not true. I've wondered if he bedded Lyssa at some point instead? Maybe when he is drunk or something? And that perhaps she got with child? And her daddy gave her some herb called Tansy to make her lose that child? (all the blood he keeps talking about might be from a miscarriage). And then sold her off to an old grim man who was looking for a fertile young wife and might not mind the fact that she's not a virgin as long as she is proven fertile? I realize this is mostly speculation, but it seems to fit with what Hoster keeps talking about and some of the memories Cat has of her sister...anyone have any thoughts on this? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: Re: A Storm of Swords Chapts 3 & 4: Catelyn/Arya
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:09 am 
Master Pilot

And I'll talk about the Arya chapter for a bit...

Arya, Hot Pie and Gendry have stolen 3 horses from Harrenhall's stables and have made their escape from that haunted hall. In the process Arya kills a guard who has stooped down to pick up from the ground the iron coin that Jaqen H'ghar gave to Arya. Having stolen a map from Roose Bolton the three set off in the general direction of Riverrun, where Arya believes Robb to be.

After some time looking for the Trident river, the chapter ends with Arya weary and falling to sleep. She dreams a wolf dream:
Quote:Her dreams were red and savage. The Mummers were in them, four at least, a pale Lyseni, a dark brutal axeman from Ib, the scarred Dothraki horse lord called Iggo and a Dornishman whose name she never knew. On and on they came, riding through the rain in rusting mail and wet leather swords and axe clanking against their saddles. They thought they were hunting her, with all the strange sharp certainty of dreams, but they were wrong. She was hunting them.

The dream goes on to show the wolf and her pack attacking the four. Three had little chance. The Dothraki alone (foreshadowing there?) was able to hold his ground, his horse killing one of her sisters and the Dothraki's scimitar another. The she-wolf herself attacked the Dothraki:
Quote:Filled with rage, she leapt onto his back, knocking him head first from the saddle. Her jaws locked on him as they fell, her teeth sinking through the leather and wool and the soft flesh. When they landed she gave a savage jerk with her head and ripped the limb loose from his shoulder. Exulting, she shook it back and forth in her mouth, scattering the warm red droplets amidst the cold black rain.

<i></i>

Post subject: Opening doors wider 2 Riverrun?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:16 pm 
Master Pilot

Maybe that's y Lysa is almost as weird as HL Elena! And y her son is so dang precious 2 her. I remembered that stuff about Littlefinger 2 and wondered if he might b involved and can def c where u're going w/this. Pardon the use of this word, along w/that train, but it def "fleshes" out House Tully. I guess what I mean by that is that though we have seen flashes of human weakness w/Lysa, Edmure's doubts and some shortcomings, but Cat and the Blackfish seem 2 cast a "cool sheen" over the family. In other words, even though Cat is 2 loyal 2 everything and good, in light of how she is holding up re:everything that's happened 2 her, and Ser Brynden has def had his falling out w/Hoster...a real "humanity" (or serious issues, and misgivings) hasn't truly arisen in it's full light until now. B4 this chapt. Riverrun hasn't really shown it's true character...

I, agree, even I, am not seeing my point @ this point. Let me try 2 put it this way...of the major houses in Westeros, that we have been in large degree introduced 2, so far, in ASOIAF...It seems 2 me that House Tully has (for the most part) escaped indepth scutiny. With the Hoster/Lysa issues it appears Martin is about 2 really open this can o'worm, if u kno what I mean. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/16/03 5:21:06 am
</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:00 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image