Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: ASOIAF
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:02 am 
Master Pilot

Still struggling thru AGoT. A bit jumpy for me - I will keep at it to get to the good parts. I trust you guys...... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:43 am 
Lady Scryer

Hang with it. It takes awhile for the action to get going, and for Martin to start weaving the various characters/POV's together. It's worth it when it gets going. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:45 am 
Master Pilot

Have u made it 2 the Hand's tourney yet? That's where it took off 4 me! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:47 am 
Lady Scryer

I liked it from the moment they found the pups, so I guess I'm just odd. I know most people don't like until further in, and some never do at all. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Just made it past Robert asking Ned to be King's Hand. I need a score card to keep up with names & places.

The dragon guy & his sister are a bit strange for me...can't quite fit them in so far. It's been a tough read, but I'll keep at it. <i></i>

Post subject: Second best series out there?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:47 am 
Pilot

Second to what? ASOIF is one of only two fantasy series I have ever read that makes me wonder if they might truely be superior to Tolkien. The other being the sarintium mosiac by Guy Gavarial Kay, but I am not sure it really is fantasy. Holy god what is he going to do next. I nearly died when after I read the red wedding. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Second best series out there?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

Earthblood, it will all come together. A lot of the major characters will end up clustered in a couple of groups/areas, and that will help you sort things out!
The dragon guy isn't too important -- but pay close attention to the sister!!!! They are the last of the old dynasty pushed out by Robert, and they are living across the sea in exile.
When a lot of the characters end up in the capital, it will start making more sense! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:26 am 
Master Pilot

Viserys is a wienne! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/25/03 7:56:37 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:55 am 
Lady Scryer

I hate him. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:35 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks for the encouragement Duchess. I'll keep plodding thru. I've been trying to keep on with MS&T too, but you've blown thru that already! I will concentrate on AGoT for now & check back later... <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:11 pm 
Lady Scryer

Earthy, did you see my last response to Green Angel Tower? I think I know what a lot of your problem with GoT is...Williams and Martin have writing styles in the opposite ends of the spectrum!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:36 pm 
Master Pilot

I'd like to wake the dragon on that Visery(however you spell it) guy's hide. Just read about his sister marrying the big Dude - the dragon-king is a @#%$-head!!!! (IMHO) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yeah, it takes a "special" guy to sell off his twelve year old virginal sister to a big brutal looking stranger, doesn't it? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Viserys sure is a prize. <i></i>

Post subject: AGoT
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:18 pm 
Pilot

I'm sorry, but so far my fave character is the dwarf--and the others I like most are Jon Snow and Arya. I'm hoping the three of them will unite to take over the Seven Kingdoms!

Ned seems a very honorable, essentially good man. But he is soooooooo naive! And because of that, I frankly fear for his life and the future of all the Starks!

Interesting about the Direwolf cubs. The mother was killed by an antler (King's sigil and all). Lady was killed pointlessly at the whim of the Lannisters. Arya's is now wild (methinks we might see her again). Ghost is a good companion to an increasingly wise Lord Snow. The other two (so far) are growing up at Winterfell. Frankly, this all feels kinda like a bunch of omens. Either Lord or Lady Stark, I fear, is doomed before long. So is Sansa, imo.

Am really enjoying this book! <i></i>