Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

Whose story would you most like to read?
Berek Lordfather 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Queen 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Damelon Giantfriend 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Loric Vilesilencer 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Kevin Landwaster 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
anything about Lord Foul/Ravers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: The Old Lords
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

Whose story are you looking the most forward to in the Third Chronicles?

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Old Lords
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:58 pm 
Master Pilot

I voted 4 Berek just so TC could face him and come 2 grips w/all the hubbub and comparisions--I think the story of his communions w/Earthpower and his quest to forge the original Staff of Law would be fascinating.

I'm prob more interested in the history of the Viles, their lore and the weaknesses the allowed the Ravers to corrupt them...and how they worked and interacted w/Berek and Damelon. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:05 pm 
Master Pilot

I went with Berek. The first big debate I had at the Watch was about Mhoram's idea to give up Kevin's Lore, and develop Lore that is more in keeping with the Oath. I argued pretty adamantly for absolute pacifism. Mhoram wasn't, by any means, an absolute pacifist, but some didn't think it was valid way of life! Hmph!! I don't think I changed any minds, but when have I ever? But I couldn't not have that view represented. I'm not a pacifist, but I don't admire any way of life more.

But another aspect of the debate was whether or not Mhoram's plan COULD work with the Earthpower. The point was brought up that the Earthpower itself spoke to Berek, guided him to the One Tree, and told him how to at least get things started. So maybe the non-Oath approach is the way the Earthpower wants things. I'd like to see, as Danlo says, Berek's communions w/Earthpower, and see if it looks like there's room for interpretation. Maybe the Earthpower simply understood that humans are hostile, and figured it would teach them a method that they would understand, but would have worked just as well with other approaches.

Of course, after the Staff of Law was destroyed, which was such a blow to the Earthpower, nothing was going to work. But still, if it hadn't been destroyed, I'd very much like Mhoram's vision to have been workable.

After Berek, I'd pick Kevin. I want an answer to my debate with Furls Fire!!! But I'd also like to see the Lore being used at its height. His power must have been staggering!!! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Someone's got to vote for old Damelon. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:57 pm 
Lady Scryer

Actually, the arrival of the Giants and the construction of Revelstone had to have been a very interesting time in the History of the Land. And Damelon himself, being the son of such a famous father, and having to deal with the probable emotional baggage of that, was most likely an interesting man, as well...
And Loric and whatever war he fought with the demondim, and the forging of the Krill would also be an interesting time to know more about... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:58 pm 
Master Pilot

I went with Berek for all the same reasons, but Loric was a very close 2nd. There's the krill, his war with the Viles... and c'mon, Vilesilencer is the coolest title ever.

I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Loric would be an interesting subject.

Actually, though they call it Kevin's lore, most of the learning was done before that. I remember reading somewhere in the chronicles that Kevin hid the Wards early in his High Lordship. Awakening the Krill was the signal that they had they were ready for the Seventh Ward. Does that mean that Kevin's time was one of stagnation, and all the learning was done by the first three High Lords? <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:05 pm 
Master Pilot

The Age of the Old Lords is like the Renaissance of the Land. All four learned much, and passed it on to their son. However, Kevin, I think, just combined his forebearers' teachings with his own to form the Lore. My understanding.

Anyway, I can't wait for any of the stories. I voted for The Queen though. The "Kingdom" period of the Land's history was always interesting, imo. Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:15 am 
Lady Scryer

I can't wait, either!!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:26 pm 
Pilot

I have to go with Loric Vilesilencer, because of all the Old Lords he MADE A MAGIC SWORD.

All the others seemed to either make do with the Staff of Law but he needed "a weapon strong enough to bear any might." I want to know why. "I am Reave the Just. I have come as I have always come, for blood - the blood of kinship and retribution. Blood is the coin in which I pay my debts, and it is the coin in which I exact restitution." - Reave the Just<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:21 am 
Master Pilot

I have to go with Loric too

but i also want to know way more about this alleged Berek-TC connection.

actually it would be great to know more about all on your list 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Another reason I'm interested in Berek is the appointment of the Guardian. If we assume the original Guardian was Haruchai how did Berek find him? Given that no Old Lords down even down to Kevin had even known of the existence of the Haruchai this opens up a bunch of questions;
a) Was the original Guardian really Haruchai?
b) If so how did Berek keep all this secret?
c) Did Berek wander the Westrons and encounter the/a Haruchai?
d.) If so what did that encounter/agreement entail? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/29/03 9:40 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:01 am 
Master Pilot

true there are so many questions that need answering

I was torn between Loric and Berek myself .. but as i said .. its all good .. if we can find out more about them all 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Old Lords
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:33 pm 
Pilot

I chose the Queen because I am a romantic, but it was between her and Loric because I know the least about them.

Sum sui generis
Vs <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Old Lords
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

Hopefully we will learn more about all of them in the new books! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>