[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Rereading Donaldson

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Which has been the most rewarding reread for you?
First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Third (Final) Chronicles of Thomas Covenant 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mordant's Need 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
The Gap 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mystery Series 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
short story collections 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Rereading Donaldson
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:26 am 
Lady Scryer

Which of his works have you reread the most often? Which have you gotten the most out of on a second reading?

I have probably reread the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the most times; but I think I got the most out of rereading Mordant's Need.

I am due for a reread of his short story collections and of Runes; I reread the Chrons, Mordant, and the Gap right before Elohimfest; I read the mysteries for the first time within the past year...

I find Donaldson's work richer and richer every time I read it.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rereading Donaldson
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:21 pm 
Master Pilot

I have re-read the Chrons the most & they are my favorite, although, I really enjoy MN alot too....

I started reading the Gap series & just cant quite get into it - not sure why.....

I seem to like reading SciFi a lot LESS than watching a scifi movie, while I really love a great fantasy series read...

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:19 am 
Master Pilot

I'm reading less of everything these days, not just sf. Call it laziness, impatience, whatever, but I'd rather spend a couple of hours watching a good movie than commit to reading a novel. It's not that I no longer have a passion for books - I do. I'm just a lot more picky about what I read now.

As for fantasy, Donaldson really spoiled me with the Chronicles (1st and 2nd). After those books, I had little interest in other fantasy stories. The Chronicles gave me what I needed at that time in my life. I did not have to look for some answer elsewhere. These wonderful books "sufficed" for me. Besides, the few other authors I tried reading after Donaldson generally disappointed me in comparison to him. (Frank Herbert being an exception.)

Then Donaldson spoiled me all over again with Mordant's Need, which I eagerly gobbled up when it came out in the mid-'80s. That was a golden period of Donaldson for me, when I was consumed with Mordant, and with his first short story collection The Daughter of Regals & Other Tales, and with re-reads of Covenant.

I've re-read The Chronicles more than any other books, but unfortunately, Mordant got neglected in the process. The first time around with MN, I just thought it was cool to be reading anything by Donaldson, though there was no mistaking Mordant's very different feel from the Chrons. I didn't appreciate how good MN really was until it was dissected by the crew at KW. In Mordant we see Donaldson applying sly humour and a horror-genre style to his writing that we didn't see (or see much of) in Covenant. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:40 am 
Master Pilot

I read very slowly and retain a good deal, so I rarely read to same book twice. However I have read The Chronicles, almost three times and am now rereading The Power That Preserves. I'm convinced there's alot of important near-hidden symbolism and clues in this book that I haven't picked up before. I always find something new in The Chrons (and, of course the Neverness books ). *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:21 pm 
Master Pilot

Up to The Healer in my slow reread fascinating: the juxtaposition of Trell and Mhoram's struggles to find balance/uses of the Ritual of Desecration and the Oath of Peace while Covenant isn't present, at Revelstone, and the Bloodguard disbanded. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

OK - brought back the poll after the big board move, though I have not figured out how to bring back the prior results.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:45 am 
The UnTitled