[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Duchess's Elohimfest Diary

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Duchess's Elohimfest Diary
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:07 am 
Lady Scryer

Quote:
Day Fourteen

The day began with Dan's cell phone ringing its little brains out repeatedly. All business calls. Gave him a debilitating headache.
Ate yet another great breakfast at our French bakery, then hit the road for Alamosa.
We crossed the Continental Divide at Wolf Creek Pass in the San Juans, near the headwaters for the Rio Grande River. They were doing all sorts of road construction at the Pass, and it took hours to get through the work zones. They were building snow walls, avalanche sheds, and rebuilding heavily damaged area of the roadbed.
We came down from the San Juans into a large dry valley between the high and wet San Juans and the more easterly high, dry Sangre de Christos. The valley is called the San Luis Valley, and is home to the Great Sand Dunes National Monument and Preserve. The sand is carried down by streams in the San Juans then blown across the dry valley. Then the Sangre de Christos act as a wall, trapping the sand. The dunes are as tall as skyscrapers, and cover some thirty square miles. A huge area adjacent to the dunes was once an incredibly large ranch called the Zapata Ranch. It was turned over to the Nature Conservancy, who is restoring the ecosystem, such as reintroducing bison.

The nearest large town to the dunes is Alamosa, where we were staying. When we reached Alamosa, big storm clouds were building over the Sangre de Cristos, so we decided to check in to the hotel and let the kids swim a bit. Calibaby suggested I try to get into the hot tub and pool, as this was the first day I was not limping from my ankle injury. So I did try, but it was still too tender (still bleeding, too).

We then headed out to the Dunes. The kids had an absolute blast -- this is, after all, the ultimate sand box!!! There is even a small stream, Mosca Creek, that runs along the base of the dunes, so you can build sand castles. After a lovely sunset, we headed back to Alamosa for dinner and bed.

Day Fifteen

Got up early, checked out of the hotel, and headed out to the dunes. Let the kids play as long as they wanted, then drove on the Jeep trail along the base of the dunes, which was fun. We then went out for ice cream, then headed for Colorado Springs.
South of Pueblo, we spotted an immense mountain to the northwest. I said

Quote: I think that is Pike's Peak.

but the others all said that since Colorado Springs was still more than 60 miles away, that it was not possible for it to be Pike...
But the white topped mountain loomed larger and larger the farther north we travelled on the freeway. Eventually everyone had to admit that it really was the Peak. It was large beyond description, beyond imagination. It is rather far down on the list of Colorado's 14000 foot + mountains, but it has so much bulk to it, and it is rather alone in its part of the Front Range, whereas most of the other 14000 footers are surrounded by other Giants...

There was a bit of confusion when we got to Colorado Springs, as our hotel had changed from a Holiday Inn to a Park Place, but we eventually figured it out, settled in, and had a good dinner in a sports bar.

After dark we visited Seven Falls Park, to see the seven waterfalls lit up with laser lights. It was pretty, and Steven enjoyed climbing up the huge staircases to see the tops of the falls...called it the Pass of Cirith Ungol.

Stevie has been asking for a bow and arrows for a long time now, and I have been denying him, as I am worried he would use them to hunt squirrels in our yard. I do not mind hunting as such, as long as the animals are eaten, but animals dying for no reason does bother me. But they had a bow with suction cup arrows at the gift store, and I got that for him. He was overjoyed, and soon decided that Bill's butt is the most ideal target on earth.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:34 am 
Lady Scryer

Quote:
Day Sixteen

Started out the day with a trip to a lovely city park called the Garden of the Gods. It is filled with huge and interesting red rock spires, usually covered with rock climbers.

Then we headed to Pike's Peak. We took the toll road to the top, at 14,110 feet. The road is 19 miles long in each direction, with some rest houses and picnic areas to stop at (and when coming back down, a booth across the road where they inspect the brakes of all descending vehicles). The first six miles are paved, then the remainder is gravel. The further you get up the mountain, the narrower and twistier the road gets, with some hair pin turns and huge drops without guardrails. And it is lovely. Colorado Springs gets its drinking water from snow melt, so they impound it into some beautiful lakes on the shoulders of the mountain. And when you get to the top you see the endless views that directly inspired the words to the song America the Beautiful.

lyrics by Katherine Lee Bates

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!

America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassion'd stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness.

America! America!
God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

O beautiful for heroes prov'd
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life.

America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev'ry gain divine.

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears.

America! America!
God shed his grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.

After coming down from the mountain we visited the US Olympic Training Center. We were very lucky in that our group got to go into the wrestling room and watch the Olympic wrestling team practicing. The great Greco-Roman gold medalist, Rulon Gardner came over and spoke to the children standing in the front of the group. You should have seen their faces shining!!! One of the women wrestlers also came over (unfortunately, I did not catch her name) and spent quite a bit of time talking to my two sons. They had worn their wrestling shirts with the team name on them, so she was asking them about two of the awesome nationally ranked female wrestlers our little school has produced.
I so wish you could have seen Steven's face in particular. This year he qualified for two national championship tournaments (though we did not have time to take him to either) and is now, while only eleven, is regularly practicing against (and beating some) high school students. Who knows how far he will push himself now, after such kind and encouraging words from these two very special strangers?

One rather odd thing did happen this morning. We had been talking about our first visit to Colorado Springs, many years ago, and how it was for Dan's sister's wedding in Canon City. We happened to look down into the hotel parking lot from our little balcony, and there was a woman who looked exactly like his sister, who had twin girls with her who looked exactly like her twin girls, and had a much younger little girl with her, who looked just like her younger daughter. That was sooooo strange, seeing these people who looked so much like people in Dan's family!!! (I should start playing the theme to the Twlight Zone about now).

Day Seventeen

Said goodbye to our beloved mountains today. Since it was hazy, we lost even Pike's Peak in less than twenty miles as we headed east across the Great Plains. We made pretty good time across the immensity of sky and grass that is Kansas. We stopped off for dinner as night was falling in Kansas City, then pushed on to St. Louis to spend the night. We ran into quite a bit of construction, so didn't reach St. Peters until the middle of the night.

Day Eighteen

Had breakfast with my college buddy, Dave this morning in St. Peters, where he lives. Then headed home, with lots and lots of wonderful memories. We had to pull off the freeway in Illinois for a while due to torrential rain, but otherwise made it home just fine. Unpacked the Jeep, then fell into bed. Back to work tomorrow!

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:16 pm 
Lady Scryer

This month's National Geographic has an article (with plenty of lovely photos) of the Grand Canyon. I had to smile when I read it and looked at it. It brought back some very nice memories.

And Danlo - those were condors. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:20 pm 
Lady Scryer

Pictures from Elohimfest:

Image Image Image