Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Man Who Fought Alone (Light Spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Man Who Fought Alone is the fourth (and for now, final) book of Donaldson's Man Who series of mysteries. (Though he has stated that he can envision one more book).

This book follows immediately after the end of the third book. Ginny and Brew leave Albuquerque (Puerta del Sol) for another city to try to throw off El Senor and his hitmen. The new city is a desert city two states away, a modern city, well lit (night glows as day), obsessed with sports, and has gambling. I thought of it as being Los Vegas...

Brew finds himself all alone in a place where he knows no one...but he does manage to get a job working security for a three day weekend at a huge national martial arts championship tournament. Of course, there is more going on there than it seems...

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: The Man Who Fought Alone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

In retrospect, this book contains some of Donaldson's finest writing, and one of his most upbeat story lines.

Fist and Syl in particular might both greatly enjoy this novel, with all of its well written fight scenes and the time spent with the masters and in their dojos. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Man Who Fought Alone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:01 pm 
Master Pilot

I've read it. Very good book. The only Man Who book I haven't been able to get a hold of is Tried to Get Away. I really hope Donaldson goes back to Brew after the Last Chrons. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>