[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - PROJECT: WAYNHIM

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PROJECT: WAYNHIM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:15 pm 
Master Pilot

Quote:Among the Demondin-spawn that survived the Desolation, there were some who recalled Loric with gratitude. They turned against the ur-viles, and asked the Lords to give them a service to preform, as expiation for the sins of their kindred. These creatures, the Waynhim, care for the Waymeets--helping the trees grow, providing food and drink. But the bond between men and Waynhim is fragile, and you will not see one. They serve for their own reasons, not for love of us--preforming simple tasks to redeem the evil of their mighty lore."-Atiaran to Covenant, Jehannum, LFB

I talked a little about this with duchess over the weekend. With "The Weird of the Waynhim" in TWL-Read in Dissecting the Land at Kevin's Watch coming up soon I noticed a severe dearth of topics focusing on theses most interesting and coolest type of Demondim-spawn. What really do we know about hese guys other than the basics?

*We know they tended Waymeets for weary travelers
*We know they oppose ur-viles
*We know they helped Mhoram vs Satansfist's armies
*We know they worked with Hamako underground trying to preserve the precious remnants of the Land
*We know they fought the Arguleh

What else do we know? Are they the uncorruptable conterpart of the Ur-Viles? Do they have remnants of the Viles good "magic" in them? How exactly DID they pry themselves lose from Fouls' grip?

I'm doing research here so we can present a fresh and SERIOUS topic to the TC discussion on KW and 2 compliment Dissecting. So Caam, Furls, HD, kins, duchy, Sky, Earth, mhoram and every AH/KWer help me out here! Let's get another good, serious-long running topic back on the Watch!! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/1/03 10:36 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: PROJECT: WAYNHIM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Ah!! A task!! Sounds like alot of fun, danlo Love the Waynhim, sure wish there was more info about them. They are definitely one of SRD's intriguing mysteries. And an even bigger mystery is the lore of the Demondim themselves. That has always fascinated me.

Anyway, a Waynhim project should be great! Count me in! *********

"And the glory of the world becomes less than it was."<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:23 pm 
Master Pilot

Quote:TIW, Chapter 4: "May Be Lost"

"Why did that--dukkha attack me?"

Again, Lord Mhoram appeared to understand. He brought a wooden stool near the head of the bed, and seated himself there. In a quiet, steady voice, he said, "That is a searching question, my friend. Dukkha has been tormented out of all recognition, and I can only guess at the sore impulses which drive it. But you must remember that it is a Waynhim. For many generations after the Desecration, when the new Lords began their work at Revelstone, the Waynhim served the Land--not out of allegiance to the Lords, but rather out of their desire to expiate to the Land for the dangerous works and dark lore of the ur-viles. Such a creature still lives, somewhere far within dukkha. Despite what has been done to it--even if its soul has been enslaved by the power of the Stone, so that now it serves the Despiser--it still remembers what it was, and hates what it is. That is Lord Foul's way in all things--to force his foes to become that which they most hate, and to destroy that which they most love.

"My friend, this is not pleasant to say. But it is in my heart that dukkha attacked you because you refuse to aid the Land. The Waynhim knows the might you possess--it is of the Demondim, and in all likelihood comprehends more of the uses and power of white gold than any Lord. Now it is in pain too great to allow it to understand you. The last remnant of itself saw dimly that you--that you refuse. For a moment, it became its former self enough to act.

"Ah, ur-Lord. You have said that the Land is a dream for you--and that you fear to be made mad. But madness is not the only danger in dreams. There is also the danger that something may be lost which can never be regained." *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:03 am 
Lady Scryer

From LFB chapter 9 Jehannum:

Quote:Covenant gasped as he saw that the figure was not human. Its outlines were generally manlike, though the torso was inordiantely long, and the limbs were short, matched in length, indicating the creature could both stand erect and run on its hands and feet. But the face was entirely alien to Covenant. Along, flexible neck joined the hairless head to the body; two pointed ears perched near the top of the skull on either side; the mouth was as thinn as a mere slit i nthe flesh. And there were no eyes. Two gaping nostrils surrounded by a thick, fleshy membrane filled the center of the face. The head had no other features....It's flesh had a hue of ravaged health; it had been natural, right - a proper part of the life of the Land.

Quote:After sleep had eluded him for some time, he made himself ask her, "Shouldn't we have - buried it?" She answered softly from her shadowed bed across the low light of the graveling, "They would not thank our interference. They will take care of their own. But the fear is on me that they may break their bond with the Lords - because of this."

Question -- can you tell the difference between a waynhim and an ur-vile just by looking at them? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:24 pm 
Master Pilot

The Waynhim were shorter then the ur-viles...

LFB: Chapter 10: The Celebration of Spring

Quote:The ur-viles drew nearer. The tip of their wedge was a single figure, larger than the rest. Covenant could see it clearly. It looked like one of the Waynhim grown tall and evil -- long torso, short limbs of equal length, pointed ears high on its head, eyeless face almost filled by gaping nostrils. Its slit mouth snapped like a trap whenever a Wraith came near. Mucus trailed from its nostrils back along either side of its head. When Covenant faced it, its nose twitched as if it smelled new game, and it snarled out a cadenced bark like an exhortation to the other creatures. The whole wedge thrust eagerly forward.

Another snippet on their creation...

LFB: Chapter 23: Kiril Threndor

Quote:Vaguely, Covenant heard someone say, "The Demondim in the days of High Lord Loric discarded their failed breeding efforts here. It is said that the loathing of the Demondim -- and of the Viles who sired them -- for their own forms surpassed all restraint. It led them to the spawning which made both ur-viles and Waynhim. And it drove them to cast all their weak and faulty into such pits as this -- so strongly did they abhor their unseen eyelessness."

I never really caught the full meaning of that. Were the Demondim themselves eyeless?? *********

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

The "unseen eyelessness" certainly suggests that...

So the waynhim and ur-Viles were always different species with a common root, then...perhaps that is why they took such different paths... ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:37 am 
Pilot

What surprised me is that the Waynhim took such an opposite path from the Ur-viles. Were the Waynhim made with more freedom of choice? More intelligence? It seems that the Urviles were mindless animals. The Waynhim had a lot more focus and, yes, intelligence. Why would Foul make them this way? Why with so much love in their hearts? Seems a very odd thing to do. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Foul didn't make the Waynhim, the Demondim and the Viles did, who were later seduced by Foul. Actually, the Ur-Viles were very intelligent in their lore. They chose to follow Foul, while the Waynhim abhorred what had happened to them and chose to serve the Land. Not the Lords necessarily, but the Land. I think, that if the ur-viles had decided to do the same thing, Foul would not have had much to say about it. The cavewights were easy to overpower into his service, but I think the ur-viles had to actually chose to serve him. *********

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:07 pm 
Master Pilot

Dang we need 2 know more about the Viles and Demondim--why did they make them? Were they bred out of their own kind or something else? Were the ur-vile caught and force bred by Foul? Did the Waynhim simply escape Foul by going underground? Is that the difference btween them? Were they once the same but some got away and some didn't? *****

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

To complicate things even further, the Ravers had something to do with the origin of the ur-viles and waynhim, too...let me go find TIW and get back to you in a few minutes... ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:11 pm 
Lady Scryer

Here we go, The Illearth War, chapter four, Mhoram to TC:

Quote:"It was samadhi, now named Sheol, who mastered the heart of Berek's liege - Sheol who slaughtered the champions of the Land, and drove Berek, half-unhanded and alone, to his extremity on the slopes of Mount Thunder. It was turiya and moksha, Herem and Jehannum, who lured the powerful and austere Demondim to their bredding dens, and to the spawning of the ur-Viles.

So the ur-Viles were possibly a product of Raver-influence? But what of the Waynhim, then? Were they more like the Demondin? Were they a product of the uncorrupted Demondim as the ur-Viles are a product of corruption? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:24 pm 
Master Pilot