Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Shatter all glass to splinters!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, have you found it yet?

The right mirror, I mean.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/18/02 9:24:06 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:30 pm 
Pilot

No! Tho there's a carnival setting up in the parking lot of the shopping mall near my house -- maybe they'll have a funhouse. Hmmm.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:48 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> I love funhouses! They are not as scary as when I was a youngster, but they are very nostalgic, nonetheless. </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:31 pm 
Master Pilot

They'r VERY scary when u've 4gotten 2 watch ur weight!!!--could we get back on topic, or do I have 2 sic Sky on y'all--What! Sky's in on this!!??!! Houston, we have a problem... How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:25 pm 
Master Pilot

NAY not I .. TimeKeeper .. it be not me that has gotten this rowdy lot off topic .. umm .. what is the topic again?? oh yeah MN ..

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> do I have 2 sic Sky on y'all what am I the resident forum bloodhound/watch-dog???

well I guess someone has to keep this lot in check!! right .. King!!

<would love to get King in check!!> grrrr ..
health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:06 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> LOL Sky! Love the "check" pun. I really think getting off topic is healthy--humanity shines in that moment. I don't know how many times I want to say something, and I know it should be in another topic, and I forget to start one--and what I wanted to say, never gets said.
On the other hand, I can see the need for staying on topic as well. It's a conundrum, I think. </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:08 pm 
Master Pilot

its no fun unless you veer off topic with regular monotony .. it keeps things interesting!! health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Who is this Darsint, Anyway? my post @ KW...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:21 am 
Master Pilot

One of my fav characters in MN is Darsint--but what's really frustrating is that we kno so little about him. The Congery's champion-spaceman-Myste's beloved--actually for the story's purpose we kno enuf as we "Need" 2--but that's not much...He is First Battle-Officer of the Unified Expiditionary Forces and leads his men in2 an almost unwinnable fight vs. alien foes on a reddish planet called Pythas. When he is translated (against his will) he destroys his own mirror, blows a hole thru most of the ceiling, buries Terisan and Geraden, blows a hole in the wall and escapes. He is taller than almost every1 in Mordant's world. He is clad in a spacesuit he calls his battle armor, which is described as blank but is mostly black due 2 a # of hits of plasma beams he has absorbed from the <i> Pythagians</i>. And it's unclear if he would have survived anyway--or that his men may have just fled 2 the Space Cruiser <i> Scourge</i> and left b4 there was any other hope of translating him back. Pythas was supposed 2 b set up by his people as a "staging area" and they had no idea they would meet w/such resistance. Where is Darsint's world? Or is he just a child of space, or spacecraft, is it in the future of both our world and Mordant's? In another dimension or universe? He comes 2 Mordant w/ his suit, pistols, laser rifle severly depleted of energy--and my fav line by him is "no one around here has a portable cyclotron, by any chance?" When I 1st encoutered Darsint I knew something like The Gap Series was forthcoming from SRD--I wish he would @ least write a short story or a book about Darsint's world--what do u think of the mysterious champion?
The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/22/02 4:33:19 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Who is this Darsint, Anyway? my post @ KW...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:30 am 
Master Pilot

totally .. an entire book could be built around Darsint!!

he is an integral part of the series and really we know very little besides what you have referred to .. about him ..

In some ways maybe SRD really did introduce more than he addressed fully .. it seemed that he left a number of loose ends hanging in MN .. Darsint being one .. and some other characters were not as well explained and married into the story as they could have been ..

And I revere SRD .. so I am not just bashing him here .. just puzzled at the way MN played out .. it to me was always a little strategically unsatisfying .. as compared to TCTC .. or even his later Gap series ..

ok I am braced for flaming .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:03 am 
Master Pilot

I agree and I've also postulated somewhere else that SRD might have still been exhausted after writing all 6 TCTC books--now the more I think about it, it sorta seems 2 me that perhaps he intended 2 go a little further in wrapping up the ending of MN or that he may have been under an intense publishing deadline. That's another question I may put in2 my letter 2 him "In all honesty, and I am not trying 2 take anything away from MN, were u completely satisfied with the ending of MN? If you could go back would u have done anything differently?" The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/9/02 3:08:04 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:31 am 
Master Pilot

I must admit to not being fully satisfied with the ending .. and it is not like the SRD he purports to be to allow publishing deadlines to interfere with his creativity .. but maybe he is only human afterall .. (isnt he? ) .. heh ..

what would I do again .. if I read the last book of MN? or if I was to re-write the ending myself?

health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: A sequel to MN
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:40 pm 
Master Pilot

At first I thought, a sequel, no way, the story is over. But it might be fun to see what he could do with Nyle as the Alend contender, Prince Kragen and Lady Elega in Cadwal, as well as everyone else's new roles. And what about Geraden and Terisa? What future can you imagine for them?

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post subject: Re: A sequel to MN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:34 am 
Master Pilot

absolutely ms. mary .. I just finished the LotR's last night .. and I want to know more about Aragorn and Arwen's life together .. how there future goes .. How the King will patrol and safeguard all of the Land .. I want to know what becomes of Legolas and Gimli and the Ents .. and where The Haven is? Maybe Legolas goes with Elrond and Galadriel and all the other elvish people!! I want more .. more .. more!!!

and I think it entirely heartless to keep us waiting at 12 month intervals to see the following installments of the LotR's movie releases!!

Just like the desire is to know more .. the same it is with me with MN .. TCTC .. yeah well most things really! health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: the mission statement
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:49 am 
Lady Scryer

I think I just found a mission statement for MN is chapter 10 of The Mirror of her Dreams:
Quote:There is no life which does not possess its own importance, no life which may not be touched by greatness at any time - yes, be touched by greatness and have a hand in it. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: the mission statement
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:06 am 
Lady Scryer

I have to say that I also enjoy Darsint, Myste, Geraden, Artagel, the little pastor Terisa works for in the real world, and the Adept. Terisa IS a bit irritating, but improves greatly as the books go on and she learns how to act in a more normal fashion, poor little thing...
People I do not like:
the Castellan makes my blood run cold...he always seems to be on the verge of violence...
Eremis
Terisa's father needs a good beating, and to be locked up in a closet for a while like he did to his poor child!

Oh, and I like the Tor, him and his howling! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>