Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Don't you feel.... (A few SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:29 pm 
Pilot

....just a little bit sorry for the Ravers? I mean, they are baddies, but they're probably enslaved to Lord Foul, and can't get free. I certainly wouldn't like my freedom taken away by some guy who continuosly gets his arse kicked by some leper.

They hate trees, and life, and happiness, but that's your average 14 year old!

They eat Unfettered Ones-- Well, I can't really defend or justify that, but hey!

They possess pretty blonde women-- Well, who wouldn't do that if they had the chance?

They possess the High Lord guy and turn the Council into a horrid thing used to feed Lord Foul's malice-- Well, Sammy was always kinda strange, but you can't really blame him for that, he was only doing as his master said to.

Well, I was just wondering if anyone feels even slightly emphathetic towards the Ravers? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Don't you feel.... (A few SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:03 pm 
Master Pilot

I was always hoping they'd turn on at the end of WGW and say, "enuf of this jazz! we're outta here.." And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:08 pm 
Pilot

That would be, IMHO, the funniest thing to ever happen. Could you picture Lord Foul's face? <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:27 pm 
Master Pilot

I couldn't disagree with you more, Maegan. They are far from enslaved to Foul! Samadhi had designs on overtaking Foul in the Second Chrons, and they each had pieces of the Stone. IMO, they were using Foul. And Foul knew it. Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:34 am 
Pilot

I'm sure the old Lord Foul was not about to let his ravers dethrone him. He just let them think they had free will. What are they going to do to him anyway? You know he's coming back with a chip the size of a mountain on his shoulder. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:47 pm 
Pilot

Well indeed. The Ravers had four thousand years of Foul's absence, and what did they do? Corrupted the Clave to help Foul when he returns. Though they may<i>want</i> to overthrow him, and are probably constantly plotting against him, I think they're aware that anything they can conceivably throw at him would probably have little effect, and all likelihood result in them getting a sound thrashing from the big man. <|[[[[{<i>Edited by: Covenant Jr  at: 8/2/03 5:52 am
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:35 pm 
Master Pilot

No, not the least empathetic or sympathetic. (But I do think they're a little pathetic )

When samadhi touched Mhoram, Mhoram learned about the Ravers. He said:Quote:"No, the Colossus of the Fall forbade another foe - three tree- and soil-hating brothers who were old in the Spoiled Plains before Lord Foul first cast his shadow there. They were triplets, the spawn of one birth from the womb of their long-forgotten mother, and their names were samadhi, moksha, and turiya. They hated the Earth and all its growing things, just as Lord Foul hates all life and love. When the Colossus eased its interdict, they came to the Upper Land, and in their lust for ravage and dismay fell swiftly under the mastery of the Despiser. From that time, they have been his highest servants. They have performed treachery for him when he could not show his hand, and have fought for him when he would not lead his armies."To this, we have Triock saying that possession of the white gold would breed rebellion against Foul, and the fact that, as mentioned, samadhi was, indeed, planning it. So I guess either
1) Foul has some sort of fetters on them that are as sure as chains are with humans. Or
2) Foul has the power to hurt them pretty seriously, and they serve rather than suffer.

But I couldn't care less. Given their freedom, they'd go back to what they were doing before their enslavement: destroying the Earth and all its growing things. Given the opportunity, I'd do what I could to destroy them. They're certainly getting a better deal with Foul. They still get to do what they love, and are, I presume, driven to do by their nature.

And if we feel they need to be punished for their evil deeds, I guess enslavement might be a good thing. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>