Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: That strange Vain
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:14 pm 
Master Pilot

I LOVE Vain! Next 2 TC Vain is my fav character in the Chronicles. What is Vain's purpose? Who gave him 2 TC? What does he look like? Doesn't say much does he? Just tags along, vanishes from time 2 time and comes 2 the rescue in some pretty odd ways. Why does he piss off Findal so much? I don't think I could have made it thru TWL w/o him. What do u think? Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/29/03 2:27 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: That strange ol' Vain
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:49 am 
Master Pilot

I loved Vain!! He was sooo cool!! The coolest little dude there was .. he just did what he did .. a real no-nonsense kinda dude!

I always hated when he was mistreated .. mainly by TC or Linden .. I always had faith that he was of great worth to the Questors .. and was disappointed in TC for not having more faith in him .. He was a gift from Foamfollower .. that should have been enough for TC to regard his presence better .. and TC was with Foamfollower when they met the sur-jheherrin .. they were good .. they told him about the 'Pure One' and all that his coming would bring ..

anyway .. he was great and I loved him!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, danlo, we <i> do</i> know what Vain's purpose was...that was revealed in the last book of TCTC.

I always pictured Vain as big and black, with an amorphous shape - sort of like a clay figure formed by a child.

I love the way he stuck with TC throughout the books, no matter what happened or what was done to him, and no matter how that Elohim (Findail? ) tried to get rid of him.

~MsMary~ <i>Edited by: MsMaryMalone  at: 5/8/02 7:56:08 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:28 pm 
Master Pilot

I never pictued him as that big maybe about 5' 6"--I always used 2 refer 2 him as "tar-baby w/an attitude" does he EVER talk? He was SHFF's gift 2 TC and they both had a great connection w/the jherrinin and then the sur-jherrinin--I love those little guys--they r MY buds! I have a pet theory on the Watch, that I haven't developed yet, that strains of good were masked and passed through the demondim-spawn and other creations, corruptions and mis-shaping of Foul's such as ur-viles, Vain, the Waynhym and, of course, the jherrinin. Remember the old legends said the Viles were once a high and lofty race and after Loric Vilesilencer "rendered them seedless" I believe they must have found a way 2 somehow pass an once of their goodness through the demondim-spawn and other creations. I don't kno about the cavewrights--I think, with all their flaws, they were Foul's baby alone--the Ravers on the other hand r a completely dif matter. The only excuses I can give TC 4 mistreating Vain is: 1) He freaked him out by the way he killed the Stonedowners 2) Vain was demondim-spawn and 3) 4got Vain was even there 3/4ths of the time... Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/12/02 10:29:16 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:19 pm 
Master Pilot

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> "tar-baby w/a attitude"

Hmmm....sounds good to me!

But I still think he was big.

~MsMary~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:53 am 
Pilot

I always pictured him as very short (4-foot maybe) But looking back over his description that probably wasn't the case.....just my imagination running amok.

The thing that I enjoyed most about Vain is that he annoyed Covenant, gave him someone to rant & rave at. I mean, who would Covenant be if he wasn't venting?? Someone else I think.....

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> "...He will not please you, for he does not speak..."

...& yes I agree, Covenant should of trusted him on Foamfollowers word alone.....he owed him that much....Strike another one up for the Unbeliever...

[/quote] <i>Edited by: Coercri2 at: 6/17/02 7:55:36 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:37 am 
Master Pilot

danlo asked why did he piss Findail off so much .. well that seems obvious .. I think Findail <b> 'sensed' </b>that Vain would demand something of him .. that he wasnt then prepared to give .. He seemed inherently uncomfortable with Vain .. I suspect he recognised the signs of the wooden transformation of Vain .. and the heels of the Staff of Lore on his limbs .. It is never said as much .. but I believe that Findail suspected that he would be required and absobed into Vain's structure .. he knew far more than he was prepared to elaborate to the questors. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:36 pm 
Master Pilot

SPOILER:
Why do you think Findail only <i> suspected</i> what Vain was? <i> I</i> suspect that Findail knew exactly what Vain was and what his role would be, and that Findail's life would be required in order for Vain to carry out his role.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/21/02 4:11:23 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:51 am 
Master Pilot

<b> I agree completely. Findail knew exactly what his role would be, and that's why he fought it all the more. </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:10 pm 
Master Pilot

exactly!! .. excellent point Ms Mary!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Why thank you.

::takes a bow::

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i>Edited by: MsMaryMalone  at: 6/30/02 5:04:48 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:06 pm 
Pilot

Apologies, Vain fans, but I found him annoying as hell. Not quite as irritating as Linden, but irksome all the same.

As regards his appearance, I picture him as more or less the size and shape of a Bloodguard/Haruchai. Not facially the same, but proportion/height/build.

I'm glad someone has a theory about the ur-Viles - I've never really managed to work out why their allegiance changed so dramatically.
However, when it comes to the Cavewights, I seem to remember some mention that they too were once 'neutral', and had been corrupted or conquered, rather than being direct creations of LF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:24 pm 
Master Pilot

Cool about cavewrights! I'll have 2 research that as well--can u add more Cjr? Can any1 else? Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/6/02 3:29:41 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:27 pm 
Pilot

No, that's about it I'm afraid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:37 am 
Pilot

Hi

i have no clue what ur talkin about but i wanted to talk about theze Emoticons....

I luv theze!!!!!!

Try sum!!!

<i></i>