Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: You have to talk about Linden in this deep/dark topic...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:21 pm 
Master Pilot

well here it is! In order to start fleshing out our SRD forum we may actually have to go to the very limits and discuss LA. Truth be told: IMing w/Duchess the other night got me thinking in a Linden mode---and I really can't tell you why! (..no offense, please Duchy) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: U have 2 talk about Linden in this deep/dark topic...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

At first I felt very sorry for linden, and all that she went through with her family. She has good reasons for being so emotionally brittle. But I started having some real problems with her after what she did to that Haruchai...and I've never really been able to understand why she did that. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

And no offense taken, Danlo. I know how messed up my birth family is. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:00 pm 
Master Pilot

ok your private conversation aside .. I too had problems with LA after she attacked ... hmmm .. now who was it .. i could go look it up .. but its late .. and i'm too lazy ..

anyhoo .. and when SRD retold the whole mother and family scenario thing .. my blood ran cold!

the scene of her killing her mother sent a chill right through me .. to discuss it in more depth I will look it up tomorrow.

She was a sick little girl .. twisted by emotional neglect and abuse .. and being left alone with her dying bleeding father ..

but her killing of her mother who clearly was not a consensual party to this act .. was something she clearly would have tortured her .. carrying a burden of that immensity ..

she had her awful past .. and it was very much part of her present .. and it bubbled to the surface when the attack of the Haruchai thingo occurred. 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:19 pm 
Master Pilot

No! Not Linden!!!

Huh, I never quite understood the whole 'Haruchai thingo' as Skyweir put it. Her tortured past worked pretty well with Covenant's tortured present-self. That, I think, was the key to their relationship. They were kindred spirits. Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:53 am 
Master Pilot

like little tortured soul magnets to each other ..

mmm .. not a particularly healthy foundation for a relationship .. but they did lift each other .. and genuinely cared about each other .. yeah it was love 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:54 am 
Master Pilot

was it Ceer she had a go at?? 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:21 am 
Master Pilot

Ceer... I feel very sorry for the guy. I mean, first a Sandgorgon attacks ya, and then a woman attacks ya, only not the preferred way. lol! Yes, it was Ceer she had a go at. Unfortunately... If I had a social life, you'd all be dead.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:48 am 
Master Pilot

I just don't believe Linden can be held accountable for her attempt at Ceer.
The Elohim 'silence' was made for Covenant and when she took it onto herself there was no telling the effect it would have on someone else.
Linden suffered from a Sunbane of the soul(which is why she was chosen)and her sunbane surfaced due to the Elohim catatonia.
Besides, she became this in the end:
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

That is very true!! She did become didn't she??

And she seemed to get quite a lot of healing, too, along with the Land. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:34 pm 
Master Pilot

yeah very true .. she was quite out of it .. it still disturbed me .. especially when she explains to TC on the Drummond ..

and yes she did become powder puff girl .. and gained some vicarious healing - which she sorely needed herself -

i'll always like her for being the only one decent to TC - then for purely loving him .. but some other stuff .. just weirded me out!! :( 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Why can't she be held accountable for her attempt on Ceer? Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:52 pm 
Master Pilot

The reasons why I feel she shouldn't be held accountable are in the rest of the post! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:11 am 
Master Pilot

Linden drove me crazy for the first book and a half or so. By WGW I was actually starting to sort of like her - and then she went and told off Foamfollower and the rest of Covenant's Dead. I started screaming at her, out loud (I'm not going to repeat what I said). And I never really forgave her for that. :">

So the verdict on Linden is: I don't like her. At all.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:38 pm 
Master Pilot

too right foamy!

and I do believe she should've had to answer for her attack on Ceer .. I get her whole sorded past deal .. and even some of her reactions were still a little off .. imho ..

the way she described extinguishing her mother's life force .. just creepy .. and disturbing ..

i know she had the worst parents .. but that experience on the drummond where she describes in detail her feeling .. and her covering her mothers airway so that she died and the fear on her mum's face .. *shudder* just errrr .. very odd ..

and I didnt take to Linden either .. and I hated when she told off Covenants 'dead' ..

but as I said .. albeit a pretty messed up chick .. she did care for TC and he her ..

actually I always hated the bit after TC had died .. in the Land .. and she returned .. and her attitude with Dr. Berensford ..

but out of her and Joan .. she was the better of the two .. 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!