Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: "The Land" itself...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:23 pm 
Master Pilot

We fall so much in love with The Land in the 1st 3 books of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant that we are almost sick 2 death when we discover what Foul has done 2 such a wonderful place in the 1st book of the 2nd Chrons. In the 1st Chrons Lord Foul is kinda a "behind the scenes" monster, hiding behind Drool, hiding behind the Ravers, hiding behind the Lurker. Until about 1/2 through The Power that Preserves we can almost even 4get who Lord Foul is, as an entity unto himself. Mayb that's part of the reason The Wounded Land shocks our senses so badly, and part of Donaldson's genius. Again we don't "see" Foul as an entity-yet his destruction and utterly vengeful mutation of The Land <i> is</i> what Foul <i> is</i> in all his glory. It's a terrible thing 2 witness: Foul is Terrible. Foul is imprisioned on the Land by The Arch of Time, but the Creator has poured so much of his love and himself in2 The Land and it is such a wonderful and mysterious place. Once almost totally connected by trees, beautiful Andelian, teeming w/life, Earthroot, earthpower, healthsense, majestic Raynhyn, Glimmermere, Seareach, hurtloam, aliantha, aminbahavin. What about The Land itself? It's effects on those from our world? What about hurtloam, healthsense and earthpower. What xactly <i> was</i> the Elohim's connection 2 earthpower? How was The Land different b4 the Ritual of Desecration? How might it b in the 3rd Chrons? Did hurtloam give TC healthsense? What do u think? How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/23/02 6:06:22 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: "The Land" itself...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:25 am 
Master Pilot

I love the Land .. and want to re-locate there .. but I have to go and will come back to contribute more fully to the conversation health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Re: "The Land" itself...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:52 pm 
Master Pilot

What do I like about the Land?

Donaldson's Land itself is probably my true favorite character. Some have compared the Land 2 Middle Earth, but I just don't get the connection. Yes both r great conceptions, but 2 me the Land has it's own personality: it IS a character: it is a living breathing thing! It has it own healing power it's own magic and lifeblood (Earthblood!). It goes through mood-swings--It can b tortured (TWL) it can b skitzo (TOT) Andelain is almost like it's heart beating! It can react--like the remnants of the One Forest getting all grumpy--heck even the leaves stains on clothes in Morinmoss were signs the Land itself was trying 2 talk 2 TC!

The Land is so organic, beautiful and true! There is power graven in every rock... There's a topic about female hotties @ KW but no one's mentioned The Land itself there! The Land, 2 me, has a female Gaia spirit and is truly beautiful and sexy. When I began The Gap Saga--I said, thinking back 2 TWL, dang--Donaldson has finally come out and done the obvious! Morn Hyland is the personification of the mercilessly tortured Land in the 2nd Chrons!

The difference between our own perception of the Gaia spirit, in reality, and the Land's boils down 2, who was it w/Mhoram or Salty?, Any way when TC talks 2 whomever about our world he uses the word "scenery" I always thought SRD was teaching us a fantasic spiritual and ecological lesson there. That we have become so socially conditioned and dis-passionate that we have almost totally lost the magical, organic and spiritual connection 2 our Mother Earth! The mere use of simply the word "scenery" is AWESOME it's like a traditional Native American howling like a rapid wolf!!! SRD makes lots of subtle "wake up" calls in the Chrons--un42nately not that many pick up on them...

1st the s then Mother Earth, what's this world coming 2...
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/29/03 9:12:19 pm
</i>

Post subject: ..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:51 pm 
Master Pilot

woops dejavu!!

<i></i>

Post subject: The Land
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:50 pm 
Pilot

I agree fully, danlo. The Land is the main character of the books - for what is it that everyone serves? And what is it that TC finally believes and falls in love with? The Land. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Land
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:42 pm 
Master Pilot

Never really thought of the Land as a chatacter, but I suppose you are on to something. It's like the land is a sort of appendage(?sp) of the Creator - sort of has a pulse & feelings too.

Cool concept Danlo. I hadn't thoight of it like that. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:06 pm 
Master Pilot

well yeah .. its a living creation ..

an appendage is interesting .. a part of the Creator .. now thats an intriguing thoguht ..

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:24 pm 
Master Pilot

but what 'appendage' r we talking about?... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:36 pm 
Master Pilot

I ain't even giong in that direction Timekeeper - I already got bleeped in the Martin thread!!!!! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:13 pm 
Master Pilot

LOL

trust you [danlo] to take it down under!! 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:23 am 
Master Pilot

but u, my Lord Sky, live downunder! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:31 pm 
Master Pilot

mmm .. definitely doesnt bode well for me .. does it?

mayhap I live in the Creator's underpants!! oh dear god!! I'm definitely never using thatrear entrance again 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i>Edited by: Skywier  at: 2/20/03 7:33:04 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:55 pm 
Master Pilot

He whose desires have been throttled,
who is independent of root,
whose pasture is emptiness-
signless and free-
his path is as unknowable
as the of birds across the heavens.
Dhammapada (93) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:11 am 
Pilot

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:32 am 
Master Pilot

appendages - undergaments - what was this thread originally about??? 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!